Mustang Won't Burnout Without Break Torquing

Kcode65

Aug 26, 2015
Alright, so I have a 1965 mustang fastback with a 289 and a c4 transmission. I want to make the car a street car that I take to the strip occasionally. The engine has a forged bottom end, comp cam, stock heads, performer RPM intake, edelbrock 600 carb, and headers to x pipe to pypes cat back. The car gets up and goes pretty well. I just had the rear end rebuild with 3.80 gears and an Eaton posi unit. The problem is it won't do a burnout off the dig? If I hold the brake and Matt it the tires will spin immediately and I can rost them. But without brake torquing it I can't make them spin. I'm thinking my problem is my torque converter? Help me out

• Sponsors (?)

Essentially stall is when the converter will "catch" when loaded. So a 2800 stall will let the rpms up to around 2800 before it "catches". Many other variables go into this and can affect the actual stall of the converter, your cam card may say 5sp or ****stall converter recommended. Keep in mind too high a stall converter is obnoxious in traffic.