Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

Ok, here's why I'm really on this forum.

I don't remember the exact routing of my brake lines.......ok, so I'm stupid, so what?

Anyone out there willing to help me out with a picture of their undercarriage? Feel free to attach all smarta*s comments, I deserve them.

Don't worry @madmike1157 , I may be an idiot, but I'm an idiot that can paint.

These are some of those valuable life lessons that will make the blue car so much more fun.

If y'all just choose to ridicule me, I'll probably figure it out, I'm just counting on the kindness of stangnet here.....:nonono:

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok, here's why I'm really on this forum.

I don't remember the exact routing of my brake lines.......ok, so I'm stupid, so what?

Anyone out there willing to help me out with a picture of their undercarriage? Feel free to attach all smarta*s comments, I deserve them.

Don't worry @madmike1157 , I may be an idiot, but I'm an idiot that can paint.

These are some of those valuable life lessons that will make the blue car so much more fun.

If y'all just choose to ridicule me, I'll probably figure it out, I'm just counting on the kindness of stangnet here.....:nonono:
Ya know, I'm sitting here enjoying a beverage and this pops up and I'm like here's my chance to really contribute. Put my beer down and crawl under the car. Damn lines are tucked way in there and it's dark. Long story short I'm drinking my beer again and have no useful contribution. If you don't have an answer tonight I'll try again when it's light outside.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm actually getting close to doing something soon.

I decided since I'm putting in nice SS hard lines, it would probably be good to have a nice flare kit. I ordered one from snap on. I'll hopefully have it in a couple days.

I'm kind of limited on what I can do for now because some bonehead went and bought a second fox body. Pricing out those AN connectors ain't cheap.

Give me a month (maybe two) and I'll be doing lots.

I have to get the blue car running and safe to drive first.

Ya know, I'm sitting here enjoying a beverage and this pops up and I'm like here's my chance to really contribute. Put my beer down and crawl under the car. Damn lines are tucked way in there and it's dark. Long story short I'm drinking my beer again and have no useful contribution. If you don't have an answer tonight I'll try again when it's light outside.
It would be good to have a picture or three, I've got to admit. But, it's not rocket surgery, I can get it figured out eventually.

And why are you worried about the " exact routing" of your brake lines? One line runs through the passenger compartment and lays under carpet.
(Who, exactly is gonna see that?)
Two lines go into the factory prop valve. (a device you should eliminate if you plan to upgrade your rear brakes to disc anyway)

Get yourself one of these from Summit:
temporary_zps084292f7.jpg

three lines come out.
Two snake their way over the front of the cowl one feeds the RF brake, one turns, and enters the passenger compartment and feeds the rears, the other goes to the LF.

Distribution/proportioning, and rear brake lights all in one nifty lil' dude that cost about 50 bucks if memory serves.

Why on Earth do you want those two snagulated brake lines running across the front of the cowl on a beautifully painted engine bay?

Buy a coil of brake line ((since you invested in a flaring tool (personally, I'd just use steel lines as opposed to stainless, the steel ones managed to last what...........30 years? You gonna have Doby, or Robby when your 83?)) Steel can be bought in 25' rolls. It's easy to flare and cheap enough to not give a sht if you mess up a flare. Rather than obsess over the proper running on my shiny brake lines that will sit on my shinier paint forcing me to drill, and clamp them into/across my said shiner paint.

Run the one line that has to go to the rears on the driver side. Run the other brake line that has to go to the RF brake down and across the K member.

It's the Mike way, It's the best way, it's the only way.

Or conversely,.....You could do it one of these ways:
Brakelinerouting.jpg

(Can you believe that he actually went through the trouble of actually running the rear line over to the factory grommet on the passenger side by going down the frame, across the rack, (which shoulda went on after he ran the lines) back up the frame, and into that stupid ugly little brass 90 degree fitting?

RE-ROUTE THAT LINE TO THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE INTERIOR!

or you could be like this guy,...and go through all that shininess and just tuck the factory lines under the lip that (I believe) you ground some of it off?
2.jpg

Last edited:
What fox Mustang's had the rear brake line pass through the interior?

Mine runs across the back of the firewall to the passenger side, and then down under the car along the transmission/driveshaft tunnel to the T-block junction over the rear axle.

What fox Mustang's had the rear brake line pass through the interior?

Mine runs across the back of the firewall to the passenger side, and then down under the car along the transmission/driveshaft tunnel to the T-block junction over the rear axle.
Well that's just not the Fairmont ( read American) way. Seems every rear brake line I've ever dealt with runs into the passenger side firewall and down the inner door bulkhead, along the passenger side rocker, under the back seat, and through a grommet located on the floor beneath the seat.

I knew there was a reason I didn't like Mustangs.

What problems would be involved with running the rear line on the driver's side?

I want to run the rf line through the cowl possibly. I'm going to do my best to hide most things in the engine bay

I'm obviously not too worried about making it look like factory, but I'm not cool enough to make it too trick either. (I want to be though:cry: )

I think I will end up having to buy a roll of the ss line. I need to research the straighteners to make it look nice.

Last edited:
That was simple. Eastwood sells straighteners for $80!

Ooooohhhhh, I see myself going a little crazy with this thing!

It's time for Mr. Creativity to come out to play. Or at least it will in a couple weeks when I can buy the tubing and straightener.

And why are you worried about the " exact routing" of your brake lines? One line runs through the passenger compartment and lays under carpet.
(Who, exactly is gonna see that?)
Two lines go into the factory prop valve. (a device you should eliminate if you plan to upgrade your rear brakes to disc anyway)

Get yourself one of these from Summit:
temporary_zps084292f7.jpg

three lines come out.
Two snake their way over the front of the cowl one feeds the RF brake, one turns, and enters the passenger compartment and feeds the rears, the other goes to the LF.

Distribution/proportioning, and rear brake lights all in one nifty lil' dude that cost about 50 bucks if memory serves.

Why on Earth do you want those two snagulated brake lines running across the front of the cowl on a beautifully painted engine bay?

Buy a coil of brake line ((since you invested in a flaring tool (personally, I'd just use steel lines as opposed to stainless, the steel ones managed to last what...........30 years? You gonna have Doby, or Robby when your 83?)) Steel can be bought in 25' rolls. It's easy to flare and cheap enough to not give a sht if you mess up a flare. Rather than obsess over the proper running on my shiny brake lines that will sit on my shinier paint forcing me to drill, and clamp them into/across my said shiner paint.

Run the one line that has to go to the rears on the driver side. Run the other brake line that has to go to the RF brake down and across the K member.

It's the Mike way, It's the best way, it's the only way.

Or conversely,.....You could do it one of these ways:
Brakelinerouting.jpg

(Can you believe that he actually went through the trouble of actually running the rear line over to the factory grommet on the passenger side by going down the frame, across the rack, (which shoulda went on after he ran the lines) back up the frame, and into that stupid ugly little brass 90 degree fitting?

RE-ROUTE THAT LINE TO THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE INTERIOR!

or you could be like this guy,...and go through all that shininess and just tuck the factory lines under the lip that (I believe) you ground some of it off?
2.jpg
Thanks Mike, you help me to get back into thinking things through logically, (and simply).

I get too wound up on parts of this. Maybe if I had a cash surplus I would be more free-wheeling?