Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

ec1c05d7fc4b452639aa0d0887643a73.jpg

The tub job was fun but it's time for a motor....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sooooo, what're your plans for yours?

I'm sticking with my little engine for now, hell, it hasn't ever been fired up in my car yet. Too soon for it's replacement!

• Sponsors (?)

No pictures today, I've been finishing up the mini-tubbing.

BUT! I found a guy here in Tulsa that has a front bumper in good condition, a hatch with spoiler in good condition and a rear bumper in great condition(for my brother's car). He'll sell it all to me for $350! I'm going to pick them up next Wednesday.

So, the fuel system will wait one more paycheck! I will be getting ss fuel lines from Oriellys though. That's cheap enough.

Reactions: 3 users
Man, I used to go camping there with my family when I was a little tike. Where does the time go?

My 75 year old father tells stories of my grandfather who died before I was born. Says he had a place on Texoma and when it wasn't farming season, they fished catfish with snag lines to make money. He says they used to literally fill the boats.

Reactions: 1 user
Been awful quite today Dave.... Are you on vacation with @madmike1157 ?

lol
Nah. I've been doing the exciting finishing part of the tubbing.......Grinding and general prettying up, filling in of old holes, etc......

I'll post pictures soon, but tomorrow morning I have to go to Kansas City for a NASCAR race. Sherwin Williams is giving my wife and me hot passes to the race on Saturday.

I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, but it's a bunch of cars going really fast, soooooo. The hot pass gives me access to the pits, the racers trailers and all sorts of stuff.

Mike gets his sunburn on the beach, I'll get mine in the infield. I can bring my own beer with me as long as it's not in a bottle (thank goodness for Dirty B*stard in cans now).

Next Thursday I get my hatch and front bumper, I'm pretty hyped about that. BTW, so y'all know how hard it is to get a rear bumper for an '86 GT? The guy I'm getting my stuff from has two, I may buy them from him for that "just in case" day.

Mother's Day on Sunday, I'll have to see if my wife would like to have Doby's tubs sprayed with sprayable seam sealer as a gift.:eek:

Reactions: 3 users
No pictures today, I've been finishing up the mini-tubbing.

BUT! I found a guy here in Tulsa that has a front bumper in good condition, a hatch with spoiler in good condition and a rear bumper in great condition(for my brother's car). He'll sell it all to me for $350! I'm going to pick them up next Wednesday.

So, the fuel system will wait one more paycheck! I will be getting ss fuel lines from Oriellys though. That's cheap enough.

Be aware Dave that all braided lines are not created equal. Some are more/less of a pain in the ass to assemble, and of slightly different outside diameters. I have seen a couple of instances where the interior rubber has even broken down enough to allow fuel to leak ( but, it was race gas in that situation).

Why you guys spend all of that money on pretty stuff that's never gonna be seen is beyond me,....
And why you want to spend twice as much on that pretty stuff that'll never get seen is even beyond that.
And.....
Oreillys Dave? Who buys braided line from Oreillys? Ever hear of Summit? Jegs?

Bastard..... Just wanted to see if the word filter would stop it from spelling

Last edited:
Be aware Dave that all braided lines are not created equal. Some are more/less of a pain in the ass to assemble, and of slightly different outside diameters. I have seen a couple of instances where the interior rubber has even broken down enough to allow fuel to leak ( but, it was race gas in that situation).

Why you guys spend all of that money on pretty stuff that's never gonna be seen is beyond me,....
And why you want to spend twice as much on that pretty stuff that'll never get seen is even beyond that.
And.....
Oreillys Dave? Who buys braided line from Oreillys? Ever hear of Summit? Jegs?

Bastard
I was thinking of hard ss lines to run from rear to front. They sell up to six foot lengths that are straight. I have an inability to straighten the coils nicely.

Not so much in to the braided steel rubber hoses. I'll just use that stuff for the odds and ends connections.

Last edited:
i got home a little bit ago, here's a few pictures of the race.
image.jpeg

Eddie Money had a concert before the race and with the Hot Pass I had, I got back stage and got to shake hands with him after he performed. Nice guy, he talked to me for a minute or two.
image.jpeg

Got Jimmy Johnson's autograph on my son's pinewood derby car from a few years back. Tyler was a JJ nut back then. That's Jimmy signing it
image.jpeg

There's a chance that I may have already drank a six pack of Dirty Bastard prior to this picture, I'm usually much more dignified
image.jpeg

Later, I was standing next to 48's pit area and got a couple lug nuts off of the left rear wheel when the crew was zipping through his car
image.jpeg
This was with twenty something laps to go in the race with a caution from a wreck, Jimmy speed in the pits and was penalized a lap ending the race for him essentially.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm continuing since I couldn't down load more pictures on that post. This is with getting to the race over five hours prior to the start. So this would be considered good parking.
image.jpeg

Big tv under the pole position
image.jpeg

Tony Stewart's last season
image.jpeg

Oh well, enough for now. Got good pictures of all the racers, Danika, Junior, etc...

Now back to work on Doby!

I was thinking of hard ss lines to run from rear to front. They sell up to six foot lengths that are straight. I have an inability to straighten the coils nicely.

Not so much in to the braided steel rubber hoses. I'll just use that stuff for the odds and ends connections.

dave, be careful which SS line you get for fuel. Some are not rated and will allow fuel vapors to leak out...