Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

image.jpeg

Well worth it. These are the lmr panels

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

image.jpeg

well, I have a week and and half before next payday, plenty of time to think it over.
It really doesn't look too challenging to replace the front part, just a few factory spot welds to drill out, trim the new pieces and weld them in.
I'm going to spray the interior while I have it in the shop, it really wouldn't take that long to respray the engine bay.

At least with the LMR panels you can keep your battery up front if you choose to do so. I think you should at least do the holes above the firewall seam. They weld up faster than you think once you get the technique down.

Reactions: 1 user
well, I have a week and and half before next payday, plenty of time to think it over.
It really doesn't look too challenging to replace the front part, just a few factory spot welds to drill out, trim the new pieces and weld them in.
I'm going to spray the interior while I have it in the shop, it really wouldn't take that long to respray the engine bay.
Play your cards right and I've seen them as low as $100. They should just slide right in. I baaaaarely had to trim mine, but my car's been wrecked, so who knows how straight it really is.

image.jpeg

That looks great! I must have totally missed this in your build thread...or forgot you did this.
Do it Dave...no pressure lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
At least with the LMR panels you can keep your battery up front if you choose to do so. I think you should at least do the holes above the firewall seam. They weld up faster than you think once you get the technique down.
I'm going out to weld up the battle boxes in a few minutes and get to work doing the perimeter of the lowers. I'll spend some time sitting in the engine bay looking at holes too.
I would like to keep the battery up front for now.

Play your cards right and I've seen them as low as $100. They should just slide right in. I baaaaarely had to trim mine, but my car's been wrecked, so who knows how straight it really is.

Did you use panel adhesive or weld them in? I'm moving my battery to the trunk and probably will end up cleaning up the harnesses,,,, which will end up...............wanting to smooth the panels which will end up................... you know

image.jpeg
Ok, here's the engine bay as it sits right now. I want to put new panels in front of the shock towers, of course.
I also want to fill in the holes on the forward part of the shock towers, possibly the side of the right tower too.
I'm leaning toward the LMR items as opposed to Scott Fab's. I like the oem-ish look of LMR. I think I will go ahead and order tonight just so I can get on with this.

Reactions: 5 users
image.jpeg
Ok, here's the engine bay as it sits right now. I want to put new panels in front of the shock towers, of course.
I also want to fill in the holes on the forward part of the shock towers, possibly the side of the right tower too.
I'm leaning toward the LMR items as opposed to Scott Fab's. I like the oem-ish look of LMR. I think I will go ahead and order tonight just so I can get on with this.

As I'm sure you already know,and the guys who already chimed in here know. Once you start filling holes and putting in shiny new panels-you won't stop,you will fill/plate/tuck everything possible... Welcome to the club lol

Ok, looked at a lot of pictures of smoothed bays and opted for the Scott Rod panels. I paid a little extra over the LMR items.
My brother used the LMR panels to smooth his '86 gt and said that they take a bit more straightening than I would think.
So I'm going to use the Scott Rod's just to see how they are.
Soooo, ***k, here I go again. I really need to finish this car one day.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, looked at a lot of pictures of smoothed bays and opted for the Scott Rod panels. I paid a little extra over the LMR items.
My brother used the LMR panels to smooth his '86 gt and said that they take a bit more straightening than I would think.
So I'm going to use the Scott Rod's just to see how they are.
Soooo, ***k, here I go again. I really need to finish this car one day.

I may have missed it, but are you going to run the stock airbox, or a cai? If stock airbox, that pass side panel may need rethinking...

Scott Rod says I should have the new panels here by Friday. It being Valentine's Day weekend, I hope to have the old panels cut out and grind the holes I want to weld on the shock tower. It would be more ambitious than what my wife would allow for me to have the new panels welded in. Let's see how it goes.

Eventually, I intend on getting billet specialties drag lite wheels for Doby. The thing to make it a little different than other wheels is the idea to have them powder coated the same color as the gt stripe on the hood. What do you think guys? I have limited myself to 3k on the wheels and tires. I would love some of the high dollar wheels (true forge), but they aren't financial reality for me.