Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

Can I just drop the differential completely off the car to make installing the upper battle box easier? As far as that goes, do I need it in for the lowers? It seems like those are just aligned on holes. Am I right @Noobz347, @Boosted92LX , and anyone else, @madmike1157 .....?

I refuse to answer when I follow " anyone else".

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I refuse to answer when I follow " anyone else".
Well, maybe you should consider that I SAVED you for the last to show the others how serious I was about this question and that all should chime in. Give them a chance before you would step in to clear the issue up.:crap:Seriously though, I value your opinion.

Well, maybe you should consider that I SAVED you for the last to show the others how serious I was about this question and that all should chime in. Give them a chance before you would step in to clear the issue up.:crap:Seriously though, I value your opinion.
Oh. Well that's different then...

I got nothin.;)

It makes sense that you'd drop the rear out of there instead. I agree the bolts should locate the new reinforcements, but unfortunately I have never installed a set so it's my ass talkin.

My uppers are Mike reinforced with plate from the backside and perimeter welded underneath, so again,........

I got nothin.

Reactions: 1 user
AND, how about welding the original torque box instead of the current spot welds? Having a welder at the house is a kind-of fun thing.....
I cut my lowers apart from above so I could see the " box" that was underneath. I added a plate to the inside of the box, welded the piss outta it, and then added an 1/8 plate back over the top. Got a picture somewhere .....let me see,....

Oh. Well that's different then...

I got nothin.;)

It makes sense that you'd drop the rear out of there instead. I agree the bolts should locate the new reinforcements, but unfortunately I have never installed a set so it's my ass talkin.

My uppers are Mike reinforced with plate from the backside and perimeter welded underneath, so again,........

I got nothin.
Yeah, perimeter welding, that's what my next question was. I assume that would be at least marginally beneficial. I would love to put in a whole lower and upper aftermarket box that I've seen on line, but I'm almost twelve miles from nowhere on this build, need all the dough I can get for other stuff.

I cut my lowers apart from above so I could see the " box" that was underneath. I added a plate to the inside of the box, welded the **** outta it, and then added an 1/8 plate back over the top. Got a picture somewhere .....let me see,....
That seems logical. I'm only now giving thought to this whole issue

Thanks bother, I've been reading up on it and it sounds like the only thing you need for installing the lower is the control arm bolt. I just wanted to ask to be sure.
The control arm bolt on the lower ensures the plate is where it needs to be .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Can I just drop the differential completely off the car to make installing the upper battle box easier? As far as that goes, do I need it in for the lowers? It seems like those are just aligned on holes. Am I right @Noobz347, @Boosted92LX , and anyone else, @madmike1157 .....?

I actually haven't got to installing them yet in mine.. Mainly hecause I haven't been to a point where i can tear out all of my interior, and I don't do 5k rpm launches on slicks. I've been needing to though before i destroy what's there. When i changed out the control arms I alternated between uppers and lowers just to make it easier as opposed to pulling the entire rear end so I wouldn't have to wrestle it back in. That may make reinstalling easier, but not afford you the working room you'd have from pulling it entirely.

I actually haven't got to installing them yet in mine.. Mainly hecause I haven't been to a point where i can tear out all of my interior, and I don't do 5k rpm launches on slicks. I've been needing to though before i destroy what's there. When i changed out the control arms I alternated between uppers and lowers just to make it easier as opposed to pulling the entire rear end so I wouldn't have to wrestle it back in. That may make reinstalling easier, but not afford you the working room you'd have from pulling it entirely.
I appreciate everyone's advice, right now all I have holding the rear end in is the control arms. Nothing else is hooked up and the pumpkin is empty(new diff and all the rest are waiting their turn to be installed). I was just curious if there was any reason it needed to be there for alignment of the pieces or something like that.
I can't tell you how many times I've re-read my messages lately looking for spelling errors, I understand there is a grammar nazi on this site. I don't want to be the one to flush out the spelling nazi! I have a gooder understanding of my text now.:hide:

I just welded all the seams. MM told me unless youre planning a 1320 warrior boxes arent needed and welding does make a big difference. We did upper and lower, It was done when car was stripped to shell. So no need to keep rear in..... Either way a reference for welding points... (crazy sideways pic @Noobz347 - lol)
torque box.jpg

It seems mine is generally at an angle to the ground. Be it accel, decel, corner, or most typically, front end on jackstands.

I just welded all the seams. MM told me unless youre planning a 1320 warrior boxes arent needed and welding does make a big difference. We did upper and lower, It was done when car was stripped to shell. So no need to keep rear in..... Either way a reference for welding points... (crazy sideways pic @Noobz347 - lol)
torque box.jpg
Cool, thanks man

Oh wait... check this out.

When you look at the image above for a few seconds, then refer to the original, you can still see the ring around the red dot. :O_o:

Ok... I'm officially bored. I think I will take the dogs to go play in the snow.

torque box.jpg
While I agree to an extent the boxes aren't hard to do with the plates . Stock cars rip them out on the street having a little fun so to me that's far from a 1320 warrior .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate