Engine My 5.4 4v Swap

4g63mark

Jan 24, 2014
Hi guys. I just wanted to post this as a reference for other users thinking of this swap.

First of all the car is a 2000 Mustang GT. It was my daily driver, so when I started noticing engine trouble I started doing extensive research as to which swap I wanted to go with. The motor held on for several months until it finally quit. I wanted a performance upgrade so which ever engine I picked would be a good one. However I wanted it to be fairly simple and straight forward. I bought the engine out of an 01 Lincoln Navigator because it has SOOOOO much potential. Also it's a modular N/A engine so it will work with my stock ECU along with bolting right up to the stock mounts and transmission.

Everything I could find suggested it's not a complicated install. It looked like you just extend a few wires and drop in the motor. However.........

It so far has turned out to be much more involved. As far as extendinding a few wires......... More like extending the entire harness. I think there may have been 1 or 2 sensors that didn't need to be modified. Also, the Mustang coils can't even be used on the Navigator engine. The Navigator also happens to run a fuel return line back to the tank. So since the stock Mustang fuel rails are too narrow to fit the new engine, custom fuel rails need to be purchased. I bought the $220 BBK setup which worked after we had to build custom brackets out of scrap metal laying around the shop. Which brings us to clearance....... It was suggested that spacers for the subframe/k-member were optional. We ended up fabricating spacers when nothing would fit. After the spacers were installed there's still not enough room to clear the brake booster. I'm not sure where to go from here, so I'm researching my options. I imagine I'll have to find a way to get the brake booster out of the way.

It looks like head gasket changes, along with cams, valve covers, valve cover gaskets or anything else on the driver side will require the engine to be out of the car.

This is the point where I wish I had opted for a more compact motor such as a 302, 351, or GM 5.3 or 6.0.......... Sorry, just frustrated with having to go through so much work just to be able to fit an engine into an engine bay. This is a REALLY big engine that will BARELY fit if you modify and move enough things. I've done lots of engine swaps of all kinds over the last 15 years. But this is by far a swap I would not recommend to anyone wanting to use it in a street car. This engine belongs in a MUCH larger engine bay.

Edit: I continue to try posting pics of the engine hitting the brake booster, but the site won't accept the file. I'll resize it and try again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Right on man. I do have an update. The motor finally went in today. Now it's just a matter of bolting up the transmission and reconnecting everything that came off the original motor.

An 01 Navi motor was rated 300Hp @5000 Rpm & 355Tq @ a low 2700 Rpm. This motor definitely has a Truck power band (naturally) so unless you plan on a lot of bolt-ons/N02/Power-adder in the future you won't be able to outrun a well modded LS1 Camaro with this motor swap. I'm assuming you have some plans to modify the motor in the works?

Reactions: 1 users
Yes that's correct. I plan to build up the spare Navigator motor I have while using this one to serve daily driver duties. I had originally planned to run a low boost turbocharger on the daily driver, but the lack of room has me reconsidering that. I need to get a K-member to free up space, but I should do my suspension upgrades while doing the K-member. So we'll just have to see how everything pans out.

Yes that's correct. I plan to build up the spare Navigator motor I have while using this one to serve daily driver duties. I had originally planned to run a low boost turbocharger on the daily driver, but the lack of room has me reconsidering that. I need to get a K-member to free up space, but I should do my suspension upgrades while doing the K-member. So we'll just have to see how everything pans out.
i really would recommend that you keep all your power naturally aspirated
i totally agree with suspension upgrades you will feel it cuz that rear live is really MAN its not the smoothest ride.
exhaust definitely squeeze a couple of more ponies.
I would also recommend getting some special tune for some icing on that Delicious cake .
okay man ill talk to you guys later
as for now sighing off!

Hi guys. I just wanted to post this as a reference for other users thinking of this swap.

First of all the car is a 2000 Mustang GT. It was my daily driver, so when I started noticing engine trouble I started doing extensive research as to which swap I wanted to go with. The motor held on for several months until it finally quit. I wanted a performance upgrade so which ever engine I picked would be a good one. However I wanted it to be fairly simple and straight forward. I bought the engine out of an 01 Lincoln Navigator because it has SOOOOO much potential. Also it's a modular N/A engine so it will work with my stock ECU along with bolting right up to the stock mounts and transmission.

Everything I could find suggested it's not a complicated install. It looked like you just extend a few wires and drop in the motor. However.........

It so far has turned out to be much more involved. As far as extendinding a few wires......... More like extending the entire harness. I think there may have been 1 or 2 sensors that didn't need to be modified. Also, the Mustang coils can't even be used on the Navigator engine. The Navigator also happens to run a fuel return line back to the tank. So since the stock Mustang fuel rails are too narrow to fit the new engine, custom fuel rails need to be purchased. I bought the $220 BBK setup which worked after we had to build custom brackets out of scrap metal laying around the shop. Which brings us to clearance....... It was suggested that spacers for the subframe/k-member were optional. We ended up fabricating spacers when nothing would fit. After the spacers were installed there's still not enough room to clear the brake booster. I'm not sure where to go from here, so I'm researching my options. I imagine I'll have to find a way to get the brake booster out of the way.

It looks like head gasket changes, along with cams, valve covers, valve cover gaskets or anything else on the driver side will require the engine to be out of the car.

This is the point where I wish I had opted for a more compact motor such as a 302, 351, or GM 5.3 or 6.0.......... Sorry, just frustrated with having to go through so much work just to be able to fit an engine into an engine bay. This is a REALLY big engine that will BARELY fit if you modify and move enough things. I've done lots of engine swaps of all kinds over the last 15 years. But this is by far a swap I would not recommend to anyone wanting to use it in a street car. This engine belongs in a MUCH larger engine bay.

Edit: I continue to try posting pics of the engine hitting the brake booster, but the site won't accept the file. I'll resize it and try again.

4g63mark,
Don't get discouraged. The brake booster is a challenge, but the engine will fit! I installed mine dropping it in from the top and then finessed everything in place with a very large pry bar. I didn't spacer my subframe and the 5.4 DOHC fit...barely. I did do some cutting on the drivers side coil cover for clearance. I ordered the cobra exhaust manifold from the parts store for like 50 bucks. Wiring was definitely one of the bigger challenges, but keep at it as it is totally worth it!

4g63mark,
Don't get discouraged. The brake booster is a challenge, but the engine will fit! I installed mine dropping it in from the top and then finessed everything in place with a very large pry bar. I didn't spacer my subframe and the 5.4 DOHC fit...barely. I did do some cutting on the drivers side coil cover for clearance. I ordered the cobra exhaust manifold from the parts store for like 50 bucks. Wiring was definitely one of the bigger challenges, but keep at it as it is totally worth it!

Thanks a lot man. I was wanting to do the same thing you just talked about. I figured I'd look into bracing that strut tower with tubing then cut away the sheet metal. I wish I could see an example of someone who has already done it. I'm coming up short though on the searches I've done.

Thanks a lot man. I was wanting to do the same thing you just talked about. I figured I'd look into bracing that strut tower with tubing then cut away the sheet metal. I wish I could see an example of someone who has already done it. I'm coming up short though on the searches I've done.

I only have one picture up right now, but check out my most recent thread. I have read by far the easiest way to install the engine is from the bottom up! Mount the engine in the subframe and feed it up underneath leaving the brake booster in place!

I only have one picture up right now, but check out my most recent thread. I have read by far the easiest way to install the engine is from the bottom up! Mount the engine in the subframe and feed it up underneath leaving the brake booster in place!

A few pictures for reference to see how tight the "clearance" is without K-Member Spacers.

Attachments

• 5.4 Swap.jpg
    5.4 Swap.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,942
  • IMG_0933.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG