My 67 "fastback " Build

Billy B's 67

Mar 6, 2016
I introduced myself over in that column a few days ago so guess I should just jump on in the deep end . Billy B here out of east Texas and I'm trying to do a low-dollar 67 coupe to fastback build - a driver. I plan to use many parts I've either picked up over time or make some good decisions on where to put my money. Also doing pretty much all of it myself. So here's the stuff I have to work with :

A 67 coupe - can we say rough - $ 200 price about a year ago if that puts it in context. I'll try to post pics of the start but even though it does have a tree or two growing through the back bumper it's nowhere as nice as the one I saw online today ( a 67 GT 500 outside an upholstery shop with a bush growing out of the engine compartment ) !

A 68 Galaxie 500 fastback donor car for the fastback to graft onto the coupe.

Two engines - an 89 Thunderbird 5 liter EFI engine w/o trans and a 351 Cleveland w/ a C4 trans intact.

And so far a 1959 9" Ford rearend ( 3.71) and an 8.8 rearend out of the donor 68 Galaxie 500.

To date the top has been cut nearly off the donor car and I've picked up a couple of usable front fenders and a nice hood from a local guy. I've been trying to do my research and kudos here to several of you guys ( especially "horse sence" from who I've gleaned much info )

I'll try and keep you up to date and incidently, I am serious about this though it might not make sence.

Billy B

Attachments

• IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_2472.JPG
    IMG_2472.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_6869.JPG
    IMG_6869.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 259
  • Sponsors (?)

I have a buddy in Virginia who builds world-class guitars.... He says in order to build a guitar you get some really good wood and just cut away everything that doesn't look like a guitar ! I wonder if that same adage applies to a 67 fastback ? LOL !
The donor car as it continues to disappear ;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 285
You most certainly have some work ahead of you! There is gonna be some metal work to make the trunk lid and rear window area, unless you plan on leaving the coupe part of that alone and only run simulated fastback "sail" panels kinda like 71-73 coupes?

106326d1280786918-1971-302-v8-automatic-mustang-coupe-pros-cons-4093_1.jpg

The biggest thing I'd worry about if you go that route is visibility. It may give you one hell of a blind spot using that roof line. But it'll be different yet recognizable no matter which path you choose. I'm interested in what you end up doing with it.....

Attachments

• 106326d1280786918-1971-302-v8-automatic-mustang-coupe-pros-cons-4093_1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 645
You most certainly have some work ahead of you! There is gonna be some metal work to make the trunk lid and rear window area, unless you plan on leaving the coupe part of that alone and only run simulated fastback "sail" panels kinda like 71-73 coupes?

The biggest thing I'd worry about if you go that route is visibility. It may give you one hell of a blind spot using that roof line. But it'll be different yet recognizable no matter which path you choose. I'm interested in what you end up doing with it.....
The plan right now is to pick up a rear window for a 67 fastback and conform the frame portion of my donor pieces to that. I wish Dynacorn would sell just the inner structure of their fastback conversion.

The plan right now is to pick up a rear window for a 67 fastback and conform the frame portion of my donor pieces to that. I wish Dynacorn would sell just the inner structure of their fastback conversion.

Dynacorn does sell just the inner structure , i have used it several times .I always buy it in the un welded form so i can make sure it fits correctly before it is all welded together .

Another problem you will have to overcome is the door glass .It is tempered glass and can not be cut ,it will shatter into a million little ice cubes .

Thanks Horse Sence ! I've been checking that out this morning after getting your heads up. Looks like I'll be into both inner structure sides for around $ 2700 plus shipping. Probably a bit more when I factor in some things I'm missing.
And as for the window glass I had figured to buy that. I've enjoyed the experience of trying to cut tempered glass before ! I'm reminded of it every time I work in that area of my back driveway and police up a few more pieces ! I will say though that there's a local teacher here in the auto fab shop of the local Jr college who tells me he has experience in cutting tempered glass. He does it by sandblasting at a very slow pace.

the inner structure is a bit cheaper in un welded form ,makes things a bit more affordable .But you will need a fast back to measure from is the problem . Using Dynacorn metal i can build a fast back from a coupe in a weeks time fairly easily ...But i have done a few .I think any one could do it fairly quickly though .The metal actually fits quite well with some work needed ,but not a whole lot really .All of the metal usually cost me around $3,500.

the inner structure is a bit cheaper in un welded form ,makes things a bit more affordable .But you will need a fast back to measure from is the problem . Using Dynacorn metal i can build a fast back from a coupe in a weeks time fairly easily ...But i have done a few .I think any one could do it fairly quickly though .The metal actually fits quite well with some work needed ,but not a whole lot really .All of the metal usually cost me around $3,500.
When you're talking about $ 3500, are you including the outer skin as well ? This is starting to sink through a bit ! Guess it's taking a little time cause your advice has to travel from California to East Texas
I've studied your links to your 66 conversions but will find that 68 one !
Guess I need to just sell off a few of these weird projects hanging around the house and yard to get the Dynacorn metal ! Besides I'm scheduled to have a bit of carpal tunnel surgery soon and since I'll be 69 next month it is possible I won't be able to finish all the projected projects I've amassed around here - hmmmm, got your 1929 Ford Closed Cab pickup, a 1927 model T ford roadster pickup, a 1931 Model A coupe waiting to be chopped and receive that 53 Ford Flathead in my drive, and of course the 1940 Ford 2- door in the front drive is going to give up it's transmission and rear end for that coupe. I already have a 39 tranny case so I can do the floor shift thing . But I'm not planning on wasting that 40 frame, it'll accept the 39 2-door front section that sits it front of it to receive a Dennis Carpenter rear coupe section. My first car was a 39 Deluxe Coupe and yes, I am trying to relive my youth ! LOL
Of course there's also the 47 CJ2A jeep in the drive and the 60 MGA waiting on that engine and the 1931 Ford Pickup made from a 2-door sedan back probably in the 50s over at various storage places. Nearly forgot the12-15 old Triumph motorcycles in the back yard and back bedroom ;). I still don't understand why my ex left me ?

Reactions: 1 user
When you're talking about $ 3500, are you including the outer skin as well ? This is starting to sink through a bit ! Guess it's taking a little time cause your advice has to travel from California to East Texas
I've studied your links to your 66 conversions but will find that 68 one !
Guess I need to just sell off a few of these weird projects hanging around the house and yard to get the Dynacorn metal ! Besides I'm scheduled to have a bit of carpal tunnel surgery soon and since I'll be 69 next month it is possible I won't be able to finish all the projected projects I've amassed around here - hmmmm, got your 1929 Ford Closed Cab pickup, a 1927 model T ford roadster pickup, a 1931 Model A coupe waiting to be chopped and receive that 53 Ford Flathead in my drive, and of course the 1940 Ford 2- door in the front drive is going to give up it's transmission and rear end for that coupe. I already have a 39 tranny case so I can do the floor shift thing . But I'm not planning on wasting that 40 frame, it'll accept the 39 2-door front section that sits it front of it to receive a Dennis Carpenter rear coupe section. My first car was a 39 Deluxe Coupe and yes, I am trying to relive my youth ! LOL
Of course there's also the 47 CJ2A jeep in the drive and the 60 MGA waiting on that engine and the 1931 Ford Pickup made from a 2-door sedan back probably in the 50s over at various storage places. Nearly forgot the12-15 old Triumph motorcycles in the back yard and back bedroom ;). I still don't understand why my ex left me ?
Sounds like you have as many projects as me ,i will never get them done .I already sold a few . I still have 2 1935 Ford pick ups .3 1936 Ford pick ups and 2 1937 Ford pickups ,,, Did i tell you i like ford pick ups :rlaugh:then there is The 64 1/2 coupe ,the 65 Mustang fast back, the 66 conversion, the 67 Shelby replica ,the 68 convertible and 3 69 fast backs . And i will not mention the 78 Trans Am Doh!:doh: And i am still looking for others :nonono:

View attachment 553281
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
View attachment 553276
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Yeah, the place probably would actually leave Fred Sanford with"the big one" ! I'm actually a good person to keep an eye on when I decide to pair down projects ;(

Back in 1975 I sold my original 1956 Porsche speedster w/out engine for $ 650 to get married to my first ex-wife ! Not exactly my best move ! I didn't lose any money on it ( at the time ) though. Don't see any bans regarding non-stang pics but let me know if I'm outta line here ! The herd -

If it weren't for the transportation cost to get a ford pickup to California I'd try to trade one to you, Horse Sence, for some work on my 67 ! Ha !
What do you think it was ? Perhaps the water we all drank when we were younger ?