Progress Thread My 89 Lx Gets The Trickflow Top End Treatment Etc....etc.

I'll get to the oil sooner or later.....haha. it's definitely old but I really never get a chance to drive the car so it can't really be too dirty. Truth be told I was surprised my cobbled together extensions worked so I let it rip. Doh !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I wish I had more time lately for more progress but I don't , I coach Rec football and it started last week which is Mon - Fri from 6:30 to 9:00 pm for the month of August and gets even worse in September. I did get the lower intake on and the injectors and stuff but , I trimmed the intake gasket cause it was sitting over the water jacket, is this right ? Who knows ? I couldn't find a definitive answer so off it came, I must of torqued the intake bolts 5 times already, for some reason everytime I put the torque wrench on them they move a little till 22 pounds. Weird ?? But I've decided I'm friggin done tightening them, so if it blows the gasket or some damn thing lesson learned. At the point where I'm gonna prime the oil pump and start slapping this thing together and see what happens.
20160814_102557-1.jpg
20160814_211616.jpg
20160815_214349.jpg

Not a fan of those print o seal intake gaskets. They are prone to leaking and disforming quickly.. I prefer the Felpro S model gaskets with the Steel core inserts surrounding the ports. So if you are using 1250, get the 1250S3

Reactions: 1 user
20160818_204556.jpg
20160818_204726.jpg
20160818_213103.jpg
Had some time to prep the upper intake to get it installed, Trick Flow doesnt offer much in the way of directions ,other than describing the sequence to tighten the bolts, your on your own with the vacuum lines and fittings. Also grabbed some threaded rod at Lowes to replace the EGR and throttle body studs. I was surprised how much automotive style fasteners and bolts they have. I got one stud out but the rest were not budging they looked pretty bad anyway.

The filler neck should have a barb on it where you will attach a hose to and runs up to your intake. This is where you may suck oil up without a baffle and pukes into your intake. A baffle helps to prevent this.

It does have the barb and it could potentially be a problem, I'll just have to figure something out if and when it becomes an issue, I didn't see a way to create much of a baffle , maybe I'll need something in line ?

I've heard of some people stuffing steel wool in the neck. Can anyone else comment on that?
I have seen that. I wouldn't do that. Seems like a bad idea to me. Potentially having steel debris running through the motor...no Bueno. I know it's unlikely to happen but...

You can create your own baffle if you want. Piece of aluminum bent to fit and use a couple small screws

Just put a small clear one way filter in-line - something like a gas line filter but smaller. That'll block the oil and allow pressure to pass through, make sure the line slants back to oil filler neck....There are a few writeups on the corral with details - google catch can and filter.....

I think it's TomR who has the write up,

Reactions: 1 users