My Brand New 2015 Mustang Gt - Transmission And Body Issues

15Mustang

Feb 7, 2015
I recently purchased a brand new 2015 Mustang 5.0 (with 32 miles on it) and when I brought it home I noticed the door brushed against the front fender when I opened it which caused paint damage. It seems the front fender had been misaligned (Youtube video below).

So I took it to a local Ford dealership after I drove it about 200 miles and they then confirmed it, they took pictures of the paint damage, and got authorization for warranty repair. They then took it to Greg's Auto Collision in St Augustine (~7 miles away) according to both the Ford service manager and assistant service manager and Greg’s apparently did a very poor paint repair on my new car (less than a week old). Youtube video also below.

The paint and clear coat were further damaged on the car somehow in the whole process. The dealership then acknowledged the paint repair wasn’t right and could be sent back for proper paint repair.

So, I chose to bring my car home from the dealership (and later bring it back), and when I drove away in my Mustang (after the dealership had it for ~16 miles), I immediately noticed the manual transmission didn’t shift right (it always shifted perfectly when I dropped it off). The transmission would basically now bind, catch, subtly grind and then pop into 4th gear at low RPMs in a very odd two stage process. It absolutely NEVER did this before I dropped it at the dealership. In addition, third and fourth now made a louder thud going into gear. The transmission shift quality was significantly, noticeably degraded somehow when I left it in the dealership’s care (in addition, the dealership somehow managed 12.6 MPG while in their care).

Two other people have driven it and confirmed my shift concern so far.

What would cause this really poor shift quality? What type of damage? What should I do? I notified the service manager who maintains they did nothing to the car while in their possession.

Door hits fender:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7alg3cTz9Uw

Poor Paint Repair:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pairY8em0OY

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like an F'd up clutch. Maybe the buttholes were doing burnouts who knows. If your car is still under warranty have them check out the issue and have them fix it. Don't yell at em like hey jerks yall messed up my car! Just say hey it's not shifting right, fix it under warranty.

Post this thread in the s197 section. You'll probably get more help. But I would take it to the dealer for warranty work. If they are unresponsive try another dealership. If you still have a problem I'd contact a lawyer.

Reactions: 1 user
Post this thread in the s197 section. You'll probably get more help. But I would take it to the dealer for warranty work. If they are unresponsive try another dealership. If you still have a problem I'd contact a lawyer.

True. I think Ford will fix it under warranty. I want a new transmission though, since my car is new, any possibility of this happening?

Full Details: Bad Transmission and Paint at 244 miles! Please help!

I recently purchased a brand new 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 (with 32 miles on it) and when I brought it home I noticed the door brushed against the front fender when I opened it which caused paint damage. It seems the front fender had been misaligned from the factory (Youtube video below).

So I took it to a local Ford dealership, they confirmed the door hits the fender, they took pictures of the paint damage, and got authorization for warranty repair. They then took it to an auto body shop in St Augustine (~7 miles away) according to both the Ford service manager and assistant service manager and the auto body shop apparently did a very poor paint repair on my new car (less than a week old). Pictures in Youtube video below. The paint and clear coat were further damaged on the car somehow in the whole process. The dealership then acknowledged the paint repair wasn’t right and could be sent back for proper paint repair.

So, I chose to bring my car home from the dealership, and when I drove away in my Mustang (after the dealership had it for ~16 miles), I immediately noticed the manual transmission didn’t shift right at all (it always shifted perfectly when I dropped it off). The transmission would basically now bind, catch, grind and then pop into 4th gear at low RPMs in a very odd two stage process. It absolutely NEVER did this before I dropped it at the dealership. In addition, third and fourth now made a louder thud going into gear. The transmission shift quality was significantly, noticeably degraded somehow when I left it in the dealership’s care (also worth noting, the dealership managed 12.6 MPG while in their care. I’ve been averaging 16MPG+ in normal driving around town).

Two other people have driven it and confirmed my concern so far.

Does anyone know what would cause this really poor shift quality? What should I do?

Door hits fender:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7alg3cTz9Uw

Poor Paint Repair:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pairY8em0OY

Ford monitors the new mustang section of this site, they will respond and help as needed... just don't trash talk em...

True. I think Ford will fix it under warranty. I want a new transmission though, since my car is new, any possibility of this happening?
If they are like GM then probably not. My brother bought a new 1/2 ton in 08'. Completely loaded very nice truck...except the trans started acting up within 2k miles. Took it in and they eventually determined it was a defect. They offered to rebuild. He wanted a new trans. Long story short he got it rebuilt and traded it on another new truck(wasn't the right decision he took a loss)

As it is a brand new car, the only option available is to take it back for warranty repairs. The trans shift issue can be verified by comparing it to other new cars in inventory. If other new cars do not exhibit the same shifting concerns, then it would be pretty much a confirmation that your trans has a legitimate concern and should be repaired/replaced under warranty. If at any time you do not feel that the Ford dealership is handling the concern in an acceptable manner, you can always get Ford Customer Care involved with the process.
Edit:
As far as the fuel economy issue while the dealership had your car. It is quite possible to have the average fuel economy numbers really go down just by extended idling. Only 10 min. of idling will have a significant impact on what the fuel economy computer is averaging out. So you really cannot use it as a claim that the car was "hot rodded" around. You would have had to have a Go-Pro or some other device aboard to provide documentation or proof that the car was driven in a way that caused the decrease in overall fuel economy and/or was shifted in a way that caused your transmission concern.

Last edited:
If they are like GM then probably not. My brother bought a new 1/2 ton in 08'. Completely loaded very nice truck...except the trans started acting up within 2k miles. Took it in and they eventually determined it was a defect. They offered to rebuild. He wanted a new trans. Long story short he got it rebuilt and traded it on another new truck(wasn't the right decision he took a loss)

Sorry to hear that. I hope I have better luck.

I can tell you from experience they wont replace it unless it's totally wiped out. I had an auto trans fail in my f150 at 12k and they refused to replace it, even though I argued like nuts. 68k now and still going now though.. knock on wood..

I can tell you from experience they wont replace it unless it's totally wiped out. I had an auto trans fail in my f150 at 12k and they refused to replace it, even though I argued like nuts. 68k now and still going now though.. knock on wood..

They will rebuild it though right? Just not a brand new transmission? There is def. something wrong with 4th gear at 244 miles on odometer.

They "should" and I think will fix the problem under warranty. Sometimes they(dealerships) can just be a pita to get things accomplished. If it is a defect from the factory and not something they determined was done by the owner, you'll be fine. If you had some "tech" in the garage who decided to "test drive" your car and broke it...?? You might have more of an issue. Still should be covered but they might be hard to deal with. It's rare that it gets to the point of a legal recourse but it can happen.

Check the tread thickness with a tread depth tool and see how much rubber your possibly missing. If you have 5/32 then you know they were up to no good. If the tire is suppose to be 13/32nds new and your at 10/32nds then you know 200 miles isnt 3/32 wear.

I can really understand your frustration. All they did with your paint issue was brush in the chips. In reality they should have sanded,primed, blew in base, then clear your whole door. If it chipped the door then it more then likely chipped the inside of the fender that can cause issues down the road. Any idea where they sent the vehicle to get repairs at? Be weary if they are taking it to a small mom and pop shop as they are known for shoddy work and products. Your best best is to take it to another ford dealer that has there own body shop that sprays a quality product like PPG or BASF. And make sure to let the body shop manager know that you are very picky because he/she will make sure its perfect before it goes. I'm very surprised the dealer accepted the car back with a poor paint repair like that.

I can really understand your frustration. All they did with your paint issue was brush in the chips. In reality they should have sanded,primed, blew in base, then clear your whole door. If it chipped the door then it more then likely chipped the inside of the fender that can cause issues down the road. Any idea where they sent the vehicle to get repairs at? Be weary if they are taking it to a small mom and pop shop as they are known for shoddy work and products. Your best best is to take it to another ford dealer that has there own body shop that sprays a quality product like PPG or BASF. And make sure to let the body shop manager know that you are very picky because he/she will make sure its perfect before it goes. I'm very surprised the dealer accepted the car back with a poor paint repair like that.

Worst part was they also caused additional damage to the paint and the clear coat that wasn't on the car when I left it at the dealer. I am also very surprised the dealer accepted the car back like that, but I guess the driver who picked it up (a younger guy) didn't know where to look or what to look for. Yes, I think the inside of the fender is also chipped which I am sure will cause problems down the road with rust etc. At this point, I don't know what to do to get it correctly fixed. I am hoping Ford will see my posts and help me? Please Ford, I've been a loyal customer so far :)