My Christine

James Rechtiene

Apr 2, 2016
Hello I'm new here. And I have a problem with my step daughters 1977 Mustang II. I've been working on this car for over a year. And Its latest issue is. When you go to start it for the first time of the day it will not start. Unless you hook it up to another car. And like jump start it. After that it will start by itself. I've replaced the battery and altenator already. And in still having the same problem. Can anyone come up with a possible answer. I'm in the process of replacing the battery cables

• Sponsors (?)

When it doesn't start, what does it do? Does it not crank at all?

You may have some kind of parasitic drain on the battery, or it's also possible that either the starter or the starter solenoid are on their way out. Cables are not a bad thing to change, hopefully that will help.

I've already have replaced the starter and battery. All I can hear is the starter click once. But if you cross the solenoid whill someone is holding the key in the start position it will start. I've replaced the lock and tumbler, the ingintion switch. And I'm still having the same issue. I'm thinking about bypassing the key. And installing a push button to start the car.

When you're jumping across the solenoid, are you jumping from battery + direct to the starter (thick wire to thick wire), or from battery + to the thin ignition trigger wire on the solenoid? You don't mention changing the solenoid, those are very often faulty. The fact that the solenoid is clicking means it's getting voltage from the ignition (so a new lock, ignition switch, and push button won't help), but it's not getting the power to the starter.

To get the engine to start, you should be able to turn over the key (doesn't need to be in start position, but in 'run'), and jump from battery + to the little lead on the solenoid. If that isn't working, your solenoid is bad, or the cable from solenoid to starter, or finally the starter itself. (Assuming the battery is good and charged).