Progress Thread My Kenne Bell Twin Screw'd Foxbody thread, (new addition to the family)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Happy Monday!
Now I want a beer.... or 12

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I've had my 3G, aluminum radiator, and electric fans sitting on my work bench now for a long time and now it's time to get them installed. I'll button it up for the Ice Cream run that's happening tomorrow and then it's upgrade time.
This guy ^^ First it's beer:30 and now he's getting icecream...:crazy:

Forget going fast, I'm hungry!

@jrichker , I found out yesterday when I started my car with the hood open that my stock mechanical fan comes on when the car is cold (yes my AC is off) and never shuts off. I did some searching and the CCRM seems to be something I need to check out but I don't see any info via a google search for a 87-93 foxbody 5.0. Only years that come up are 94' and newer. Can you help me out with a diagram for my 90' 5.0, 5 spd.

The stock mechanical fan is just that, mechanical. It operates with a clutch (which is inside the bare metal and plastic piece between the fan and pump.) the clutch determines it operating range.

Here's a video showing replacement, but it sounds like yours is operating correctly

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpKY9ksQaHg

Thanks for the video. You said it's operating correctly? My mech fan runs 100% of the time and never shuts off until I turn the car off. It should kick on and off in regards to engine temp. O'well, regardless i'm installing my e-fans later this week and this will be resolved.

Reactions: 1 users
The stock mechanical fan is just that, mechanical. It operates with a clutch (which is inside the bare metal and plastic piece between the fan and pump.) the clutch determines it operating range.

Here's a video showing replacement, but it sounds like yours is operating correctly

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpKY9ksQaHg

Wondering why it comes with a spacer ? Is it for different years ? If i would not have watched this video, i probably would have had to ask on the forums here wether to leave it on or off. I will definitely check my fan to make sure its not cracked, last thing i need is to have to replace the entire radiator. Well i did it on my last car, chrome ones look nice actually. Does anyone know the thermostat temp to get for replacement on a 302 5.0 92 GT ? In case i do need to replace this fan, i will most likely do the whole radiator at the same time, i don't like to waste hours for nothing. I can always sell the one that works too. Thanks

Wondering why it comes with a spacer ? Is it for different years ? If i would not have watched this video, i probably would have had to ask on the forums here wether to leave it on or off. I will definitely check my fan to make sure its not cracked, last thing i need is to have to replace the entire radiator. Well i did it on my last car, chrome ones look nice actually. Does anyone know the thermostat temp to get for replacement on a 302 5.0 92 GT ? In case i do need to replace this fan, i will most likely do the whole radiator at the same time, i don't like to waste hours for nothing. I can always sell the one that works too. Thanks
factory is 192, but a 180 won't hurt will just take a bit longer to warm up. wouldn't go colder imo

So my upgrades have begun. Everything got mocked up and then I realized that I was missing a couple things like the stator plug which I guess I left installed on my previous car. Not a big deal since LMR sells a parts kit for the 3g upgrade.
IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG

After installing my aluminum radiator and e-fans I decided to go a different route. Why? I have dual 11" Spal fans which eat up more amps than a Taurus fan. Spal specs say these fans operate at 50 amps and have a start up draw up to 100 amps. That sounds a little exaggerated IMO since most motor start up draws are typically rated at 125%, not 200%. Anyways I'm going to Pull'n Save after work to get me a Contour fan. The Contour fan should play nicely with my FAL 31165 controller.

Working on this upgrade and trying to route all the new wires is seriously upsetting me with lack of space and room to mount stuff cleanly. Seriously motivates me to smooth and tuck this car!

Reactions: 4 users
Got skunked at the junkyard because everything was already picked clean. I'll try another location tomorrow, if that doesn't work out then i'll order one through Summit. I saw a complete 97' Explorer just sitting there waving at me. Lately my idea of a perfect street combo would be an Explorer top end with a turbo :D