My New 6 Banger!!!

Hey guys! I've been a lurker here, and my first Stang was a '65 Coupe that I got when I was 18. Four years have passed, and it was time for a new one.

So I just aquired a 1996 V6 that I came across while looking for some GT's. Most of them were either ragged out, had high mileages, or were just outright expensive.

This sucker cost $5,300 after taxes and expenses, and was paid with cash.

The exterior is the best I've seen, with the best color... The interior is in mint condition, and everything works. The mileage is low, and everything is in excellent condition.

I just noticed after taking it off the lot today, that the odometer doesn't work, but he's going to fix that tomorrow morning. (This car was definately garaged by some Grandma!) :)

Here are some pics, and then I have some questions.

stang1.jpg

stang2.jpg

stang3.jpg

stang4.jpg

stang5.jpg

What mechanical problems/tips should I be looking out for with this?

I only plan on adding a cold air intake, some new Cobra style crystal headlights and corners, putting some 17" rims on there, (still deciding what), some pulley's, and a few other minor things...

Thanks for any imput! :D

• Sponsors (?)

Nice car. Mine looks exactly like that except red with a spoiler that comes from the factory. Right now I just replaced the headlights / corner lights with clear headlights / corner lights. I am purchasing 18" 2000 Cobra Rims and tires. I am also going to buy a Cold Air Intake and then some Clear GT Fog Lights and then me and my friend are going to cut the springs to lower the car same to atleast where its balanced.

Nice looking car.. But, I do wish I would have gotten the GT, but Insurance is an ass kicker when your 18 :notnice:

Thanks for the comments!

Virgin car to the MAX!

I've always layed my hand down on the fact that a Mustang NEEDS a spoiler. Especially the SN95's. They look plain UGLY without them.

That just didn't work this time. When I saw this car, it looked perfect without it. ;)

We went ahead and de-virginized the car by removing the air silencer on it today. Woohoo, my first mod! :D

Ordered the CAI a few hours ago, so hopefully that gets here soon.

I want a GT more than anything right now, but seriously, this car will last me a lot longer than a GT will. And with the deal that I got on it, it will be paid off in less than two years, and I'll have that time to save up a few grand for a GT. Hopefully one that wasn't owned by a 18-19 year old, and that was all ragged out!

I never knew a 6'er would be so fun! :banana:

I think I'm missing something. Paid cash, but will be paid off in two years. :shrug: :scratch:

I agree with leaving the spoiler off of this one. They look good with or without, so just be different.
I bet Bullitt wheels will look cool on that color. Actually they look good on every Mustang. :D

Immortal LuD said:
Wasn't that a problem with the 94-95 Mustangs? I don't recall hearing if that was for anything newer then that, but if that's the case, I'll definately ask. Hopefully the boneheads will know or not. ;)

Msn autos claim the problem lasted into the 96 year.

Immortal LuD said:
I just noticed after taking it off the lot today, that the odometer doesn't work, but he's going to fix that tomorrow morning. (This car was definately garaged by some Grandma!) :)

The Odometer don't work? Mines stopped working too. It cost around $400 to fix. Well, It was 90K 2 years ago, and now it's just just under 91K(It wasn't bothering me so I didn't fix it right away). So, I don't know, Maybe you could have lowwered the cost (or tell him to give you back some money) because it would have more miles then what the odometer says.

I bought that car for my brother so he wouldn't have to pay interest on a loan. Plus I hope to get that car back when I'm done overseas!!! :D
We took the car up there to so they could fix the odometer and he said the gears in the cluster were broke, so he's going to fix it tomorrow when the part comes in. :flag:

i cant really think of any bad problems, they fixed the head gasket issue in mid 96 so if your car is a 96 or earlier it would be best to keep an eye on it or change it. I would wait and use it as an excuse to put in a cam, heads, upper and lower :) lol is it a 5 speed? I hope so lol

Whenever you're ready! I'll take the Cobra anyday!

But he's right, the traffic here is unbelievable. It's not even worth it during Bike Week, Octoberfest, Pepsi 400, or even the Daytona 500. Takes me an hour and a half to get to work, and I live THREE minutes away. :bang:

I am glad it's an automatic for cruising reasons, but for speed, it's a joke. ;) But definately a smooth rider.

Of course, it is better in person. ;) The only color I'd rather have OVER this blue, is a mystic paintjob. :D

I got my odometer fixed yesterday. The plastic gear broke when I pushed in the tripmeter button. Ha, go figure...

Also got my two V6 3.8L emblems in earlier, put those on, and I'm awaiting my CAI here shortly. Also have some clear corners, and other small things in the works.

So far, this V6 definately has some kick to it, and rides like a dream.

Whoever makes fun of these 6 bangers, definately never owned one before. :p