My New Project Idea

65racecoupe

Founding Member
Mar 24, 2002
Tempe, AZ
I just finished my 65 coupe and I absolutely love it. It is so cool. I am going to start on a new project Mustang when I get out of the Air Force in a little less than a year. I AM KEEPING THE 65 FOREVER, OR UNTIL I FIND A CHERRY FASTBACK TO TRANSFER ALL MY STUFF INTO :shrug:

It is going to be a Turbocharged 5.0, a 90 to 93 hatch. I am going for a total road race car, something that would be at home in the Silver State road race. (Baer Brakes, 5 or 6 speed, awesome suspension, full cage, racing seats, etc.) I am hopefully going to be able to hang with or beat 900cc bullet bikes while still being a daily driver (with the boost turned down, of course). I want to run 10s with drag radials.

I am going to go with Mental Addiction Motorsports www.mentaladdictionmotorsports.com for the engine set up. Beau the owner is kick ass. Very nice and patient.
He built my 331 (475 HP with the streetable cam - still sort of lumpy at idle - 600 HP or so with a stupid cam - I might find a middle of the road cam eventually). He is in the process of building a 1200 HP single turbo 5.0 drag car. I am not sure how big the engine is (302 or 351W stroker?) or much about it.

I figure this might cost me as much as my 65 coupe ($30K including the car) did by the time I am done, but it is only money I guess. It is a realistic project I guess. I built (with a TON of HELP) my 65 to be the best it could be while still being a traditional Mustang.

What do you all think?

• Sponsors (?)

Great ideas. I took the liberty of looking at your profile as I am also an ex-USAF service guy. My advice is to enjoy while you can. I too got out of the service a longggggggggg while back and was starting a 55 Chevy project, which went by the way side when marriage happened. My son is 2 years older than you and has spent thousands of dollars on his guitar hobby and is now turning into a gearhead with the newer Stangs. I didn't start him out on the car hobby as I knew how addicting it can get. Good luck, enjoy it while you're young! :D

The baer brakes are way overpriced for being rebadged cobra/vette spec pbr's. You'll love the foxes though. As I look between my 89 and my 65, the 89 is just so much more practical to drive and get performance out of compared to the classics in my opinion.

No doubt that my 65 is WAY impractical. It sucks up gas, it doesn't handle well compared to modern cars, and it is not as fast as a 5.0 could be for the money that I put it. That being said, I love it. It is faster then 99 percent of cars on the road. I just want a 5.0 to be able to beat 99% of the cars my 65 can't. I also want a cool daily driver, and my 65 just doesn't cut it. I am afraid to mess it up. It looks so nice.

Beau just told me that my estimate was right on track, for the engine that is. He estimated roughly $20 to $30K for the engine, turbo set up, tuning, and fuel system. I am pretty sure that I will have to get a dart block which is a lot of dough, not to mention crazy expensive pistons, crank, you name it.

Add $2K to $5K for a 90 - 93 shell (all I need is a rust free damage free body), $5K for brakes and wheels (I need some wide meats for the power), $4K for an entire 6 speed trans set up, $2K for a custom Currie 8.8 rear, $3K for a really nice suspension set up and say $4K for other stuff like guages, roll cage, race seats, and other stuff that I will need.

I guess I am looking at $41 to $51 K instead.

Oh, well. That should be one of the fastest cars on the road. I guess I have a new financial goal. Nothing of monitary value really interests me, other than cars, so that is cool. Hopefully I will be able to find a job that pays well when I get out. I am still figuring out what I want to do.

65racecoupe said:
I guess I am looking at $41 to $51 K instead.

Here's a thought, for that kind of money, you can get a turn key ex-pro stock pickup ready to go and run in the 6 second bracket! Of course you wouldn't be able to haul anything in it except yourself! :rolleyes:

I'm close (6-7 years) to retirement and have my eyes set on a black hot rod primered 32 coupe/roadster myself for my twilight years, oh the memories.

Good luck........

I think I remember that the general manager (?) of Currie recently sold his silver fox coupe that was something like what you're building. It was going on ebay for something like $25k, twin turbo/600hp?, baer brakes etc. Finding a car like that on ebay might be a more realistic option if you dont care about doing the buildup yourself.