My review of Sean Hylands new book

Dave King

Founding Member
Feb 6, 2000
Pittsburgh PA
Well I just finished reading the entire book which is 126 pages long and I'll offer my review for those wondering if its worth the money. For copywrite purposes I will not quote text or post pictures.

I can't believe Sean was so detailed in the engine building aspects. For so long he has been guarded about these specs. I remember being up at SHM back when he was in his old building (while I was waiting for my car) and hearing people call Sean about engine specs and he would tell the person on the other end to purchase a Ford service manual. All that has changed. This book is a very pleasant suprise to see so much useful knowledge when it comes to engine building.

Anyway heres some of the highlights that "I" found to be extremely usefully in this book. Most of these areas have extremely detailed pictures that go with the text.

Differences in all year GT and Cobra engine blocks
Proper align honing procedures.
Proper cylinder bore honing procedures.
Block prep
Deck surfacing
Sleeving
Bearing and clearances
Race only block and crank preps
Piston and rod selection
Lubrication system
Cooling modifications
Compression ratio charts for all year engines
Detailed illustrations of ring packages
Detailed discussion about all year cylinder heads with a ton of pictures and illustrations.
Flow numbers for all year cylinder heads.
Valvetrain discussion
Stock Intake and exhaust port moldings
How to degree camshafts for 2 and 4 valve engines. Tons of pictures with text follow.
Examples of modified intake choices for all types of intakes.

Theres much more but thats what I can remember without referring to the boo.

Sean also talks about other areas for novice people like offering successful packages for every possible engine combination whether it be n/a, supercharged, or blown.

Sean also talks about ignitions, electronics, stand alones, a complete guide to power adders, flow numbers for power adders etc.

Sean then finishes the book with a 10 page guide on how to build a 405 hp cobra engine complete with dyno numbers.

The book is a must have for everyone. The book is written in a manner where there is no ego or attitude. Sean simply shares his experience and knowledge of what he believes works and what doesnt. He also is kind enough to share in experiments that he tried that didn't work out as well as indeded.

Whether or not you plan on rebuilding your own engine, having the proper knowledge to make educated decisions is very important no matter who does the work. There are at least a few million dollars of R&D that went into the knowledge and experience that this book was written. Not to mention the time and effort it took to document everything and take pictures of engine building. Having built 200 engines a year for 5 years means that Sean has learned a lot building 1000 engines. Everyone know can tap from this knowledge to build better engines.

I recommend getting the book from Cartechbooks because they have the book in stock and you might have to wait while other suppliers catch up.

Go to www.cartechbooks.com or 1-800-551-4754

• Sponsors (?)

Is this the book?
SA82-LG.gif