My Son Wants To Buy His First Car... A Mustang!

Serfchick

Sep 16, 2015
Hello one and all,
My son has been saving to buy his first car. He would like a Mustang (6 cylinder automatic), he has a budget of $8000 - $10,000. Can someone please tell me if there are certain model years, model types that he should either avoid, or look for. So when we begin our search (online and locally near our home in Newbury Park, CA), he can hone in on the best opportunities. Are some model years real gems? Or, are some features not worth the extra cost? I would love to get some advice and feedback please. Thanks in advance, Serfchick.

• Sponsors (?)

For longevity, reliability, resale, maintainability and maintenance costs... I'd look at an 8 cylinder. In his price range, it means used car. Probably an S197 (2005 - 2014) but closer to the earlier portion of the S197 line.

Fuel consumption difference between the two, largely depends on the weight of your son's foot. At cruise, there's not much difference. In town, driver habit makes the largest difference. Fore a relatively new driver and a Mustang well.... Pretty good chance fuel consumption will be on the high side. You would know that portion better than we would. hehe

Good Luck!

For that price range, he shouldn't buy anything older than a 2005. Engine aside, the S197 (2005-2014) cars are light years better than prior Fox/Fox4/SN95 models. Longer wheel base, better built and more importantly...carry a much higher crash test rating in the even of an accident. The V6 engine may not be ultra desirable from a performance point, but the 4.0L is proven. It spent many years in other vehices before it made its way to the Mustang. If he can find a GT in his price range....even better. The 4.6L 3V made good power and was a smooth runner. Some of them had cam phaser issues....but in most cases it was more an audible annoyance, than an issue of functionality (they like to rattle on cold start up).

Quite frankly, he should buy the newest, lowest mileage Mustang he can afford.

For that price range, he shouldn't buy anything older than a 2005. Engine aside, the S197 (2005-2014) cars are light years better than prior Fox/Fox4/SN95 models. Longer wheel base, better built and more importantly...carry a much higher crash test rating in the even of an accident. The V6 engine may not be ultra desirable from a performance point, but the 4.0L is proven. It spent many years in other vehices before it made its way to the Mustang. If he can find a GT in his price range....even better. The 4.6L 3V made good power and was a smooth runner. Some of them had cam phaser issues....but in most cases it was more an audible annoyance, than an issue of functionality (they like to rattle on cold start up).

Quite frankly, he should buy the newest, lowest mileage Mustang he can afford.

Wow, what great information, I'm so glad I posted the question. Ok, so we won't go any earlier than 2005, we'll look for an S197 (or GT if possible?) Did the body styles change significantly? I feel mileage is more important than the year, so I'll look for low miles, was there a body change let's say between 2005 and 2010, where it might look like we have a newer car, but really it's just an early body style and maybe low miles?

The S197 is a body style. It ran from 2005 to 2014. The GT will be a V8 car. There are a ton of options within the GT package(s) but GT itself, indicates a V8 for S197 Mustangs.

What region of the country do you live in? More to the point, does your son plan to drive this in snow?

Thanks Noobz347,
We live in Southern California, Thousand Oaks, to be exact. He won't be driving in snow. :) It would be best to have a decent air conditioner. I think we'll be able to find something, hopefully low miles. I didn't realize S197 represented the body style, so that's easy. We haven't gone out to look just yet (he's still saving his money), but I think we're ready to do some internet shopping so we can see what his budget can bring. I think something from 2006-2009 would be reasonable. Thanks so much for your help.

Best of luck with it. I'll bet if you asked around a bit, you could find someone on this forum from your area that can recommend a mechanic that knows Mustangs and is straight up.

Disregard if you already have a mechanic that you trust. :nice:

Agree with everyone - 2005-2014, (2005 to 2009 were identical, and few minor body mods between 2010 & 2014).
2005 was the first year of the retro redesign.

Upside to a GT V8 is they're fun... down side is, well.... they're fun... especially in the hands of a young man.
Insurance may be a bit pricey too... But my first brand new car at age 19 was a 1989 LX 5.0....

Come back and let us know what you ended up getting and post some pics of the car as well.