Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

OK guys I have some questions to derail myself here.
1- turbo size only needs to support 500hp you know enough to split the block. What size will I need?
2- anyone have the foggiest clue as to what 6psi from a turbo in front of a 6psi SC makes total?????
3-should I just toss the new intake idea off to the side and use the money for the turbo instead?
4- will this turbo hot side kit work ok?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=301070231172

I know it's ebay crap but in the spirit of the original budget theme......

1-Oooooh I think a 67 with a t4 flange should more than do the trick.

2......:shrug:

3... If the blower is bottlenecking your flow is an intake going to help? On3 70mm kits will make 500hp on a bone stock engine.

4-The hotside looks like it would do the trick, but that downpipe has a funky flage with bolt holes in it. The turbos I've come across all used v bands there to clamp to the turbo. Not sure what that's made for.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

1-Oooooh I think a 67 with a t4 flange should more than do the trick.

2......:shrug:

3... If the blower is bottlenecking your flow is an intake going to help? On3 70mm kits will make 500hp on a bone stock engine.

4-The hotside looks like it would do the trick, but that downpipe has a funky flage with bolt holes in it. The turbos I've come across all used v bands there to clamp to the turbo. Not sure what that's made for.
I don't believe the SC is any bottleneck at all, at red line it is still making 6psi. If it were the issue I would see a huge pressure drop off I think. If I had to guess I'm in the 350hp range (that's after losses including the 30hp it takes to drive the sc).
If anything the cam is mismatched for the build.
Found some maths. Pressure ratio (psi+14.7)/14.7=A
A*(cid)=effective cid
Soooooo I need a turbo sized for a 430cid engine..... to make 1200hp! Lol not so sure this applies to me... a 67mm will easily make 14psi on a 302 so I just set the waste gate to 14 and never look back.
The boost is multiplied, by A so in my case (boost from turbo*A= manifold pressure) A for me is 1.4, so 10psi from the turbo would be 14 at the manifold.

Or sumthin like that.

I don't believe the SC is any bottleneck at all, at red line it is still making 6psi. If it were the issue I would see a huge pressure drop off I think. If I had to guess I'm in the 350hp range (that's after losses including the 30hp it takes to drive the sc).
If anything the cam is mismatched for the build.
Found some maths. Pressure ratio (psi+14.7)/14.7=A
A*(cid)=effective cid
Soooooo I need a turbo sized for a 430cid engine..... to make 1200hp! Lol not so sure this applies to me... a 67mm will easily make 14psi on a 302 so I just set the waste gate to 14 and never look back.
The boost is multiplied, by A so in my case (boost from turbo*A= manifold pressure) A for me is 1.4, so 10psi from the turbo would be 14 at the manifold.

Or sumthin like that.

Ok... I muddled through that equation and got 1.4, so yeah.

You do plan on putting the turbo ahead of the blower, right?

Also, forgive me, but your intake- is that stock, or explorer?

The smaller the inlet restrictions the more heat your going to cause IMO. So you are going to have to control inlet temps. Personally if it were me...id just use the turbo kit and get rid of the PD blower. But I understand what you're thinking/doing and am interested in the outcome. Also if you do keep the blower, the turbo may take a minute to spool, but the blower will still create a bunch of low speed torque. Having the turbo spool incrementally could actually help on the street. A 70mm would be more than enough for your stock block. If you ever plan on an aftermarket block, then buy a 76 IMO.

Ok... I muddled through that equation and got 1.4, so yeah.

You do plan on putting the turbo ahead of the blower, right?

Also, forgive me, but your intake- is that stock, or explorer?
Yes. Turbo-SC-IC-Intake.
The build is as follows.
-93cobra intake (real one) with ported lower.
-gt40 heads 3 bar heavily ported with gasket match to felpro 1262 /2.02 1.6 valves with fully adjustable rockers. 1.6 ratio
-e303 cam
-stock internals with hyper pistons good balance and kings bearings.
-52lb injectors 255hp fuel pump.

Consider this the equation I posted say that I will be moving the same amount of air as a 430cid engine at 6 psi.... on the hit until 3500rpm I am producing 8psi, so I will have an effective Cid of 478cid. I'm sure that a 460bb will spool a 76mm turbo very early. Basically I hope to achieve a boost curve that is instantaneous at 8psi and climbs to 10-14psi by 3k rpm.

Then we will clean my parts off the road and start over with a 351.

Reactions: 1 users
Consider this the equation I posted say that I will be moving the same amount of air as a 430cid engine at 6 psi.... on the hit until 3500rpm I am producing 8psi, so I will have an effective Cid of 478cid. I'm sure that a 460bb will spool a 76mm turbo very early. Basically I hope to achieve a boost curve that is instantaneous at 8psi and climbs to 10-14psi by 3k rpm.

Then we will clean my parts off the road and start over with a 351.

FYI.. I have a 76mm and on 9-10 psi and I'm making 450whp and around 485tq. That's at the wheel. That puts it in the neighborhood of 510-525 at the crank depending on how you figure it.

14 psi may or may not be a lofty goal for a stock block..

Also... I'm running eddy rpm 2.02 heads with an rpm II intake, so that's going to drop my boost numbers due to better flow, so 14psi may work out on your set up maintaining safe hp/tq level.:shrug:

I'm just throwing out numbers over here in wishful thinking land. In reality I am looking for street able power. Im not building a huge death machine, I just like to experiment and learn. Who knows I may destroy the t5 and get a c4 with really low gears to utilize the huge torque curve. Idk where this project will go in the future, but I do know that I have a 351 Cleveland on its way. That will be built bulletproof, efi turbo, capable of 8k rpm engine. Then I will need something to drop it into..... like a pinto.
But enough derail lol.

So 76mm is OK it's only 350$ with a 220$ hot kit. Add oil lines and some small things maybe 700$ total to add the turbo.

I'm just throwing out numbers over here in wishful thinking land. In reality I am looking for street able power. Im not building a huge death machine, I just like to experiment and learn. Who knows I may destroy the t5 and get a c4 with really low gears to utilize the huge torque curve. Idk where this project will go in the future, but I do know that I have a 351 Cleveland on its way. That will be built bulletproof, efi turbo, capable of 8k rpm engine. Then I will need something to drop it into..... like a pinto.
But enough derail lol.

So 76mm is OK it's only 350$ with a 220$ hot kit. Add oil lines and some small things maybe 700$ total to add the turbo.

When I bought my 76 I did so with intentions of growing into it with a stroker. I haven't reached that milestone yet, however. On the 302 it is a bit laggy, but when it comes on, hang on. I imagine with that pd blower filling the gap at the bottom and a 76 on the big end that thing will be a monster!

Does that turbo kit that I posted look like I will need to relocate the alternator or is that usually not an issue if I have to relocate the alternator it will mess with the supercharger pulleys

It's hard to say with it not shown on the engine, but you had had to pin me down I'd say most likely yes. That header resembles mine, and all the kits like mine relocate the alternator. I wouldn't think it would be hard to fab, look at @hoopty5.0 's bracket he made.

OK back to reality....

I have to take the plate off and hole saw a 3" opening to offset the tensioner I found. I love that my wife works at advanced, I just walk in the back and open every box till I find something that looks like it might work.:D
20160520_192201.jpg

That's a 6rib tensioner from a 03 focus 2.0

Reactions: 2 users
OK back to reality....

I have to take the plate off and hole saw a 3" opening to offset the tensioner I found. I love that my wife works at advanced, I just walk in the back and open every box till I find something that looks like it might work.:D
20160520_192201.jpg

That's a 6rib tensioner from a 03 focus 2.0

Hey man, something to think about- if you are serious about the turbo kit and the alternator relocation, before you wade into this thing with the tensioner.. The alternator is utilized as the tensioner with the relocation bracket... Why not just use an idler there, and move the alternator now?

Hey man, something to think about- if you are serious about the turbo kit and the alternator relocation, before you wade into this thing with the tensioner.. The alternator is utilized as the tensioner with the relocation bracket... Why not just use an idler there, and move the alternator now?
It will awhile before I do the turbo, I want this to work problem free. I will tackle any issues down the line. After I add this one there will be 3 tensioner total in this setup. The stock one, the focus ribbed one, the 4.6..... probably overkill.

I am going to try to Teflon coat my m90 rotors from a spray can. If it works I will get another psi or so out of it, or it will spit off in sheets and end up in the IC. :O_o:

We will see.

Ready to go. Only issue is it now takes 2 people to put a belt on the car! Lol I will have to drill a hole to put a screwdriver thru for at least 1 of the tensioners because God only graced me with 2 hands..... checked it out on the 2 step and she did great.
20160522_175024.jpg
as it is now the 4.6 tensioner does not move the way it is mounted.... oops too much angle tward the sc. It's OK though it acts as a manual tensioner.

Reactions: 1 users