Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

:banana:
20151103_184712.jpg
let's begin by saying the folks at diy auto tune make this idiot proof. All the parts are bagged separate and the documents are spot on.
20151103_202109.jpg
this is where I am now, and it is tedious work. I'm not overly familiar with this stuff so the going was slow. I will say to the interweb posters that say they build these in an hour, SHINANIGANS! Lol. Much more to come I just needed a break. The soldering kit with a magnifying glass would have been worth the extra 30$.

• Sponsors (?)

This is what I have after about 3.5 hours of work. Lol I'm slow at this. Double checking everything and making sure I have the right options setup for my install.
20151103_225832.jpg
now I must tear into the a9p I have laying around for the 60 pin connector. But that will have to wait for another day.

Reactions: 1 users
Advice.... buy a desoldering gun you will thank me. Getting the 60pin to separate from the old ecu in one piece was well difficult. There were expletives involved. In the end I was victorious. I will pin it out later after I do some research. I would like to use the stock baro for real time correction, all I would need to do is pin it to the "baro" slot on my ms. Lol you would think that is easy but I need to be sure it will play nice first.

:jester::banana::jester::banana::jester:
We are ready to load software!.
Extras I added, factory baro hooked up. Will add a 2 step from the clutch switch, just need some info if the sigrtn is OK to ground the input too..
I may try to add fan control as well.
20151105_213138.jpg

Oh and these came in, rated at 52lb at 43 psi.
20151105_163518.jpg
Gonna download the tuning program and play with the interface before I begin the install.

Hope your kiddo is ok.
:jester::banana::jester::banana::jester:
We are ready to load software!.
Extras I added, factory baro hooked up. Will add a 2 step from the clutch switch, just need some info if the sigrtn is OK to ground the input too..
I may try to add fan control as well.
20151105_213138.jpg

Oh and these came in, rated at 52lb at 43 psi.
20151105_163518.jpg
Gonna download the tuning program and play with the interface before I begin the install.

Redneck engineering.........pfffft.

Whoever said you were a redneck should have to build one of those kits from scratch.

The monster has a complete kit built MSII/V3. It took me over 8 hours to build that thing, and I've done two before that. I had to use a magnifying glass, as by the time you get every one of those circuits completed there simply isn't enough room for the tip of the soldering iron except right where it's supposed to go.

Bottom line, I'd recommend the mag glass as a must have. When radio shack was still in biz, I bought a kit that had a base, the glass, and two adjustable clamps to hold the wire so it could be soldered.

Invaluable.

I also prefer solder braid to a desoldering tool. You just touch the braid onto the joint you want to desolder, put the soldering iron tip on top of that, and the solder underneath gets sucked onto the copper braid. Worked like magic.

The best part of the whole deal will be when you start the thing, and know that all of the operations that make that thing run are now controlled from a computer that you built that started out as a bunch of doo dads in baggies, and an empty circuit board.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry. Dog woke me up every hour on the hour last night. Eyelids are propped open with toothpicks.
Was he biting and scratching the hell outta himself?

This year both of our damn dogs started doing that almost simultaneously, having never did it before. They say it's skin allergies, and the occurances are almost epidemic these last couple of years.

I'll get woke by the big idiot going to town on his manliness, biting, nuzzling, and snorting at 3AM, Then by the Cairn an hour later rockin back and forth under the dresser scratching the top of his back.

So I have what I believe to be some decent starting ve tables. I threw some numbers at it. Lol. My guess was 425hp at 6000rpm and 400ftlbs at 5000 rpm. Ha! Proly waaaayyyy off. Once I get the thing to idle OK I will use ve analyzer to tune it. Big thanks Mike the 85$ in upgraded software was worth it.

I want to do some things before the new ecu goes in, shorty headers (cuz my longtubes leak and that's a big no no for auto tune). Getting one tb on the car. Stock alternator bracket, (another tensioner for the belt). 1.9" SC pulley.

Soon I will slap this thing in the car. And get too tuning. I am torn at the moment though, last night at my local union meeting a retired member who builds ford's asked me if I would be interested in an old Cleveland he has in the shed. I said "what kind of shape is it in" he replied "dang it kid, it's a 351 with 2bbl heads and a 4bbl to 2bbl intake. It's a D1 engine." I said I'll come pick it up.... so now I think I will finish this car up and start planning to find a hatch or coup to get that Cleveland into.

Reactions: 2 users
Weeelllll things didn't go as planned today. Got the car to idle and start OK still working on the settings it's a lot to go thru. Took it for its first drive, should have charged the battery first. Car stalled when it hit a rich spot on the tune and died on me. Had to wait a half hour for help, then the starter solenoid melted.:eek: broke the terminal off and used it to jump the car. I can say it has more nuts now than it ever has, more initial timing 24* at 2400 to redline. Car also has a distinct pop off sound when the clutch gets pushed in. For a rough tune it runs ok. More to come.

second trip, car ran OK but developed a misfire when cruising. I'm going to replace the plugs the few I pulled look to be dry fouled. Hopefully this will clear up the issue.
Second problem, friend of mine just gave me a 76 trim t4 flanged turbo....... my wife is going to kill me. Since I just bought new shorty headers and a new pulley for the sc...
Maybe the turbo will sit on the shelf and await it's future life, feeding the 351c I am picking up next weekend..... darn my luck.:D

second trip, car ran OK but developed a misfire when cruising. I'm going to replace the plugs the few I pulled look to be dry fouled. Hopefully this will clear up the issue.
Second problem, friend of mine just gave me a 76 trim t4 flanged turbo....... my wife is going to kill me. Since I just bought new shorty headers and a new pulley for the sc...
Maybe the turbo will sit on the shelf and await it's future life, feeding the 351c I am picking up next weekend..... darn my luck.:D

I dunno man. Turbo? I have behind the scenes things going really making me question my commitment.

Reactions: 1 user
Have no doubt I plan to see this SC build thru to the end. Today I pulled the SC off to replace the leaky long tubes and discovered this.
20151129_143448.jpg
that's a hole burned into the bypass tube.. it still made 3lbs of boost. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why I got an abrupt pressure drop from 6 to 3. This will require some re-engineering, hopefully I will have more clearance with the shorty headers.
Also I snagged some 1/8th inch plate steel from work and my 3" ss exhaust bends came in. With this I plan to make some adapters and eliminate all the rubber bends in my piping. The outcome will be one tb before the SC. Without an intake tract that will flatten out under vacuum.

On another sidetrack idea, a waste gate on the pressure side of the SC would be a cool idea. That way I can run my smallest pulley and regulate boost to whatever I want. The idea was to add 1psi at a time for tuning the boost ve tables. It's a pita to constantly change pulleys. Any thoughts??

Have no doubt I plan to see this SC build thru to the end. Today I pulled the SC off to replace the leaky long tubes and discovered this.
20151129_143448.jpg
that's a hole burned into the bypass tube.. it still made 3lbs of boost. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why I got an abrupt pressure drop from 6 to 3. This will require some re-engineering, hopefully I will have more clearance with the shorty headers.
Also I snagged some 1/8th inch plate steel from work and my 3" ss exhaust bends came in. With this I plan to make some adapters and eliminate all the rubber bends in my piping. The outcome will be one tb before the SC. Without an intake tract that will flatten out under vacuum.

On another sidetrack idea, a waste gate on the pressure side of the SC would be a cool idea. That way I can run my smallest pulley and regulate boost to whatever I want. The idea was to add 1psi at a time for tuning the boost ve tables. It's a pita to constantly change pulleys. Any thoughts??

People have run wg's on big centri blower setups for a while so they can pulley it up and set max boost. This also makes for a flatter torque curve, or so I've read. I say go for it!