Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

Some little stuff got done today.
First the iac, the intended location is no longer viable, will mount somewhere along the firewall.
20160210_183408.jpg
it came out OK I guess.....

Next up the iac block off plate this one I made from some 1/2 aluminum stock I had sitting around.
20160210_175518.jpg
the Allen head bolts are counter sunk in there, it needs a polish.
Ok, I'm gonna watch this close, I'm not using one, but I may choose to enable it and reassign the wp, and eliminate the fast idle valve. I just didn't think I wanted it, but the stupid fast idle valve is barely noticibly when it's open.

• Sponsors (?)

Weeelllll got it installed today for testing, FAIL.

Bypass still colapses under vacuum, I will remedy this on Saturday. But I quickly slapped it together for testing, so here are pics of it in mockup.
20160211_183242.jpg
sorry it's a dark pic, better ones coming later, and the others I took no worky...?

My frustration is getting the better of me.... I built a hard piped bypass tube, and tried everything I can think of to get this car to :leghump:ing idle.

My next step will be to remove the intercooler and see if that helps at all...... I need advice on what to try here. If the intercooler thing don't help, I will mess with my perfect idling NA tune, maybe she needs an ass load more timing at idle to stay running below 1300rpm.????

I can create a vacuum leak (SD so it doesn't matter) that let's it idle at 1300 rpm then slowly choke the leak off and she just dies... it's like she can't breath under 1300.. I will keep you guys updated this SUCKS!

Lol yup... the iac can be used as a warmup valve too.
I think the problem with the fuel transfer solenoid that I'm using is that the stupid hole it creates when it's open is just too small. I'd be willing to wager that the cross sectional tube size that thing creates when open is equivalent to a 3/16 hole. I need a 3/8 hole, similar to the opening in an IAC valve to allow enough air into the engine to make it run the extra 500-800 rpm I want while its warming up.
I never thought about it, but do you think that an IAC valve opens far enough ( if it can be singularly energized on/off) to allow me to use one?

Yes. But it is still pwm controlled...

You can set the iac to "warmup control" and adjust the duty cycle on it based on engine temp. Bosch (ford) iacs are fully closed at about 30% duty. Fully open at around 70% duty. So you can have the valve cycle down as the temp comes up...

OK I'm stumped.

Removed the intercooler and piped it straight, NO CHANGE.

tried it pig rich and lean, NO CHANGE

Tried locking the timing out, 20*, 25*, 30*.... NO CHANGE.

car won't idle below 1300rpm. But if I put the TB on the plenum she is rock solid at 800rpm. :bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs:

Anyone have any other ideas?
Here are some reference pics.
20160214_150419.jpg
20160214_150407.jpg
20160214_150356.jpg

If its starving for air with the TB on the turbine, but not on the plenum side, does that mean the tubing itself is the restriction as in gulping/gasping for air too far away?

What about the IAC, when you move the TB over, are you swapping the TB position as well and so maybe the IAC is causing a difference?

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk

If its starving for air with the TB on the turbine, but not on the plenum side, does that mean the tubing itself is the restriction as in gulping/gasping for air too far away?

What about the IAC, when you move the TB over, are you swapping the TB position as well and so maybe the IAC is causing a difference?

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk
I think the tubing length is the issue....
You would think that it wouldn't matter but hey what the hell do I know.

The iac can be mounted in either location, on the TB itself or remotely there is no noticeable change....

I guess 2 TB it is anyone have a one lying around?

Ignore my previous post. I just reread your posts and realized I may have misunderstood. When you say plenum, are you talking about the intake manifold to the engine or the supercharger? I'm trying to understand the two locations you are using to mount your TB.

Last edited:
I am using plenum in multiple contexts...

When the TB is on the upper intake plenum (stock location) there is no issue she idles at 800rpm cold.

Once I attach all my piping and intercooler, the TB is moved to the sheet metal manifold (plenum) for the SC. This is where I get the issue with the 1300rpm idle.

All the extra piping and intercooler are added to the volume of the cobra intake, making the "Plenum" massive. Even with the bypass in place the idle issue is there. It is as if the combined volume of my piping stock intake and intercooler have become an issue.

If there is anything else I can clarify plz let me know I need some help here.

The throttle body will effectively control your flow rate regardless of where you put it. However, when it's in the stock location, the bypass and supercharger are getting their fill of atmospheric air and you restrict the flow into the intake manifold. When it's ahead of the supercharger, you are now restricting the flow to the bypass and supercharger. I may be off base here but I wonder if the bypass is getting enough flow to the engine when the TB is upstream of it. If you are using something to restrict the flow in the bypass, the same opening will not give you the same flow with the throttle body ahead of it (unless the opening is small enough to choke the flow at both flow rates - I would be surprised if that's the case). A 2 TB setup could fix this if the throttle body upstream of the bypass and supercharger is opened more at idle to provide more flow while the TB at the intake manifold is in the closed idle position to restrict the flow to the engine.

How are you controlling the bypass? Are you just using the IAC?

The long piping will add more loss. Combined with the big pressure drop from the throttle body, I guess it's possible that the supercharger is not pressurizing the flow enough at low rpm to sufficiently overcome it. However, the bypass should be providing sufficient flow when this is the case as long as its getting enough air flow.

I'm sorry if you already mentioned the answers to these questions earlier. I read this thread sporadically and don't remember all the details.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk