Progress Thread Nasty Ninety Notch

I'm starting to wonder if you don't just have a bad computer. I hate wiring/electronic issues. Good luck.
I'm not closed to the idea of a bad ECU, but the one I have has less than 1000 miles on it. I suppose things could go south pretty quickly. Though.

I know that if the wrong O2 harness (e.g., an auto harness in a manual), is used with the ECM that it will fry immediately. I wonder if something happened when the wrong O2 sensor was put into my car (i.e., a 4 cyl O2)?

• Sponsors (?)

Codes 31 & 63 have this in common; the are both caused by low or missing +5 VREF voltage.
It is time to do some resistance measurements between the +5 VREF wiring between the engine mounted sensors that use +5 VREF and the 10 pin connector . Use the code31 & 63 test paths as a guide to finding the missing voltage or bad connection. Since you didn't get a code 22 (map/baro sensor fault). you have +5 VREF coming from the computer.

CODE: 31 (KOEO) - EVP circuit below minimum voltage. Vref (5 volt reference voltage supplied by the computer) missing or broken wire or bad connection in circuit. Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the orange/white wire. If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the orange/white wire on the TPS or MAP sensor located on the firewall near the center of the car. Use the black/white wire for the ground for the DVM.
With the sensor removed from the EGR and still connected, press the plunger and watch the voltage change on the brown/lt green wire. Pull the passenger side kick panel and measure the voltage at the computer. You will need to remove the plastic cover over the wires and probe them from the backside. A safety pin may prove very useful for this task. Use pin 27, EVR input (brown/lt green wire) and pin 46, signal ground (black/white wire) to measure the voltage. The orange/white wire is Vref and should always be 5 volts -/+ .25 volt. Be sure to measure Vref at the EGR sensor to rule out any broken wires or bad connections.
Measuring the voltage at the computer helps you spot broken wiring and intermittent connections.
See the graphic for the 10 pin connector circuit layout.
?temp_hash=3ef2497fff29a7a9daee955cf93e5805.jpg

a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=49009&d=1171639646.gif

Code 63 - Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) signal too low.

Revised 02-Jul-2009 to update TPS setting procedure & add 10 pin connector layout.

Vref missing (5 volt reference voltage supplied by the computer), bad connections or damaged wiring, TPS sensor failed, TPS sensor way out of adjustment. Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the Orange wire. If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the Orange wire on the EGR or MAP/Baro sensor located on the firewall near the center of the car. If there is +5 volts on the MAP/Baro sensor, but not on the EGR, clean the #2 & #5 pin on the white 10 pin connector. If there is +5 volts on the EGR but not on the TPS, look for bad wiring inside the engine fuel injector harness.

Setting the TPS voltage
You'll need a Digital Voltmeter (DVM) to do the job.

Wire colors & functions:
Orange/white = 5 volt VREF from the computer
Dark Green/lt green = TPS output to computer
Black/white = Signal ground from computer

Always use the Dark Green/lt green & Black/white wires to set the TPS base voltage.

Do the test with the ignition switch in the Run position without the engine running.

Use the Orange/white & Black white wires to verify the TPS has the correct 5 volts source from the computer.
Setting the TPS: you'll need a good Digital Voltmeter (DVM) to do the job. Set the TPS voltage at .5- 1.1 range. Because of the variables involved with the tolerances of both computer and DVM, I would shoot for somewhere between .6 and 1.0 volts. Unless you have a Fluke or other high grade DVM, the second digit past the decimal point on cheap DVM’s is probably fantasy.

Since the computer zeros out the TPS voltage every time it powers up, playing with the settings isn't an effective aid to performance or drivability. The main purpose of checking the TPS is to make sure it isn't way out of range and causing problems.

The Orange/White wire is the VREF 5 volts from the computer. You use the Dark Green/Lt green wire (TPS signal) and the Black/White wire (TPS ground) to set the TPS. Use a pair of safety pins to probe the TPS connector from the rear of the connector. You may find it a little difficult to make a good connection, but keep trying. Put the safety pins in the Dark Green/Lt green wire and Black/White wire. Make sure the ignition switch is in the Run position but the engine isn't running.

Always adjust the TPS and Idle with the engine at operating temp. Dive it around for a bit if you can and get it nice and warm.

When you probe the leads of the TPS, do not use an engine ground, put the ground probe into the lead of the TPS. You should be connecting both meter probes to the TPS and not one to the TPS and the other to ground.

The TPS is a variable resistor, much like the volume control knob on a cheap radio. We have all heard them crackle and pop when the volume is adjusted. The TPS sensor has the same problem: wear on the resistor element makes places that create electrical noise. This electrical noise confuses the computer, because it expects to see a smooth increase or decrease as the throttle is opened or closed.

TPS testing: most of the time a failed TPS will set code 23 or 63, but not always. Use either an analog meter or a DVM with an analog bar graph and connect the leads as instructed above. Turn the ignition switch to the Run position, but do not start the engine. Note the voltage with the throttle closed. Slowly open the throttle and watch the voltage increase smoothly, slowly close the throttle and watch the voltage decrease smoothly. If the voltage jumps around and isn’t smooth, the TPS has some worn places in the resistor element. When the throttle is closed, make sure that the voltage is the same as what it was when you started. If it varies more than 10%, the TPS is suspect of being worn in the idle range of its travel.[/b]

Attachments

• fuel-injector-wiring-harness-sensors-for-a-5-0-mustang-gif.63347.gif
    fuel-injector-wiring-harness-sensors-for-a-5-0-mustang-gif.63347.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Codes 31 & 63 have this in common; the are both caused by low or missing +5 VREF voltage.
It is time to do some resistance measurements between the +5 VREF wiring between the engine mounted sensors that use +5 VREF and the 10 pin connector . Use the code31 & 63 test paths as a guide to finding the missing voltage or bad connection. Since you didn't get a code 22 (map/baro sensor fault). you have +5 VREF coming from the computer.

CODE: 31 (KOEO) - EVP circuit below minimum voltage. Vref (5 volt reference voltage supplied by the computer) missing or broken wire or bad connection in circuit. Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the orange/white wire. If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the orange/white wire on the TPS or MAP sensor located on the firewall near the center of the car. Use the black/white wire for the ground for the DVM.
With the sensor removed from the EGR and still connected, press the plunger and watch the voltage change on the brown/lt green wire. Pull the passenger side kick panel and measure the voltage at the computer. You will need to remove the plastic cover over the wires and probe them from the backside. A safety pin may prove very useful for this task. Use pin 27, EVR input (brown/lt green wire) and pin 46, signal ground (black/white wire) to measure the voltage. The orange/white wire is Vref and should always be 5 volts -/+ .25 volt. Be sure to measure Vref at the EGR sensor to rule out any broken wires or bad connections.
Measuring the voltage at the computer helps you spot broken wiring and intermittent connections.

a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=49009&d=1171639646.gif

Code 63 - Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) signal too low.

Revised 02-Jul-2009 to update TPS setting procedure & add 10 pin connector layout.

Vref missing (5 volt reference voltage supplied by the computer), bad connections or damaged wiring, TPS sensor failed, TPS sensor way out of adjustment. Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the Orange wire. If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the Orange wire on the EGR or MAP/Baro sensor located on the firewall near the center of the car. If there is +5 volts on the MAP/Baro sensor, but not on the EGR, clean the #2 & #5 pin on the white 10 pin connector. If there is +5 volts on the EGR but not on the TPS, look for bad wiring inside the engine fuel injector harness.

Setting the TPS voltage
You'll need a Digital Voltmeter (DVM) to do the job.

Wire colors & functions:
Orange/white = 5 volt VREF from the computer
Dark Green/lt green = TPS output to computer
Black/white = Signal ground from computer

Always use the Dark Green/lt green & Black/white wires to set the TPS base voltage.

Do the test with the ignition switch in the Run position without the engine running.

Use the Orange/white & Black white wires to verify the TPS has the correct 5 volts source from the computer.
Setting the TPS: you'll need a good Digital Voltmeter (DVM) to do the job. Set the TPS voltage at .5- 1.1 range. Because of the variables involved with the tolerances of both computer and DVM, I would shoot for somewhere between .6 and 1.0 volts. Unless you have a Fluke or other high grade DVM, the second digit past the decimal point on cheap DVM’s is probably fantasy.

Since the computer zeros out the TPS voltage every time it powers up, playing with the settings isn't an effective aid to performance or drivability. The main purpose of checking the TPS is to make sure it isn't way out of range and causing problems.

The Orange/White wire is the VREF 5 volts from the computer. You use the Dark Green/Lt green wire (TPS signal) and the Black/White wire (TPS ground) to set the TPS. Use a pair of safety pins to probe the TPS connector from the rear of the connector. You may find it a little difficult to make a good connection, but keep trying. Put the safety pins in the Dark Green/Lt green wire and Black/White wire. Make sure the ignition switch is in the Run position but the engine isn't running.

Always adjust the TPS and Idle with the engine at operating temp. Dive it around for a bit if you can and get it nice and warm.

When you probe the leads of the TPS, do not use an engine ground, put the ground probe into the lead of the TPS. You should be connecting both meter probes to the TPS and not one to the TPS and the other to ground.

The TPS is a variable resistor, much like the volume control knob on a cheap radio. We have all heard them crackle and pop when the volume is adjusted. The TPS sensor has the same problem: wear on the resistor element makes places that create electrical noise. This electrical noise confuses the computer, because it expects to see a smooth increase or decrease as the throttle is opened or closed.

TPS testing: most of the time a failed TPS will set code 23 or 63, but not always. Use either an analog meter or a DVM with an analog bar graph and connect the leads as instructed above. Turn the ignition switch to the Run position, but do not start the engine. Note the voltage with the throttle closed. Slowly open the throttle and watch the voltage increase smoothly, slowly close the throttle and watch the voltage decrease smoothly. If the voltage jumps around and isn’t smooth, the TPS has some worn places in the resistor element. When the throttle is closed, make sure that the voltage is the same as what it was when you started. If it varies more than 10%, the TPS is suspect of being worn in the idle range of its travel.[/b]
Thanks so much! I'm not quite as sick today so I'll try to work through these paths. I'll note the findings and relay them here.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: Sabotage or Carelessness?

I decided to go ahead and complete the 10 pin connector fix. Last time I addressed these connectors I was able to get all the black side done, but was unable to get all the white side done. So, today I was able to get all the white side done.

However, before I could complete the 10 pin fix I had to find my connectors! Last I worked with them they were right up by the plenum, where they are supposed to be. When I looked for them I saw that they had been shoved way down behind the engine. It looked as though they were touching the block and/or part of the bell housing. Initially, this was aggravating because I had to disconnect several vac tubes and reroute them from being tangled with the connector wiring.

After I finished the 10 pin fix my little eyes happened to notice something. Have a look below:

Burned Wires.jpg
I don't know if this was [the] problem, but it is certainly [a] problem, especially if that exposed wire was making contact with metal!

Anyhow, I pulled the insulation back a bit to inspect the wiring. It seemed to be intact so I wrapped it well with electrical tape. I think the wires in question go to pins 5 and 6.

Side note: gauges seem more steady now...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
check your local oreilly, advanced auto, or autozone... they used to stock and sell them
Good idea. However, that's what I'm referring to. They don't stock them anymore. They either rebuild yours or switch it out. Either way it will take 4-6 weeks. Trust me. I went through this already. Summit gives an undetermined amount of time for a fox ECU replacement.

Update @jrichker:

Ok. I ran some tests and have some questions. Here goes...

Regarding code 31:

You said, "CODE: 31 (KOEO) - EVP circuit below minimum voltage. Vref (5 volt reference voltage supplied by the computer) missing or broken wire or bad connection in circuit. Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the orange/white wire."

Question: Where is this org/wht wire located? Once located do I use any grnd or a specific grnd?

You said, "If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the orange/white wire on the TPS..."

Results: 5v KOEO on TPS.

You said, "With the sensor removed from the EGR and still connected, press the plunger and watch the voltage change on the brown/lt green wire..."

Results: 22.5mv to 2.9v

You said, "Pull the passenger side kick panel and measure the voltage at the computer. You will need to remove the plastic cover over the wires and probe them from the backside. A safety pin may prove very useful for this task. Use pin 27, EVR input (brown/lt green wire) and pin 46, signal ground (black/white wire) to measure the voltage."

Results: .9v depending on how I held the safety pins. Sometimes it went higher and sometimes it went lower.

You said, "The orange/white wire is Vref and should always be 5 volts -/+ .25 volt."

Question: What org/wht wire?

You said, "Be sure to measure Vref at the EGR sensor to rule out any broken wires or bad connections. Measuring the voltage at the computer helps you spot broken wiring and intermittent connections."

Question: Which wire on EGR sensor is Vref? Here are the wire choices I have:
EGR Sensor Wires.JPG

Concerning code 63

You said, "Set the TPS voltage at .5- 1.1 range. Because of the variables involved with the tolerances of both computer and DVM, I would shoot for somewhere between .6 and 1.0 volts."

Results: At running temp (i.e., half way on temp gauge), TPS was 1.062

You said, "Slowly open the throttle and watch the voltage increase smoothly, slowly close the throttle and watch the voltage decrease smoothly. If the voltage jumps around and isn’t smooth, the TPS has some worn places in the resistor element. When the throttle is closed, make sure that the voltage is the same as what it was when you started. If it varies more than 10%, the TPS is suspect of being worn in the idle range of its travel."

Results: Using a higher end Digital Multi-meter (no analog), the TPS was at 1.062, then smoothly increased w/throttle opening, then back down to 1.072.

That's all I have at the moment. I will test drive the car after the 2 wire fix, but I'm quite skeptical. How do I proceed given the date?

The orange/white wire connects to both the TPS & the EGR sensor and pin #2 of the white 10 pin connector. The picture you posted shows a white wire with a red stripe, which is not standard for 5.0 Mustangs. But by looking at the other 2 wires, I would guess that it is the +5 VREF.

Go back and slowly read the Code 31 & 63 test paths; everything you need should be in there. You may want to print them off and highlight the steps describing the test and measurement parts of the test path.

The orange/white wire connects to both the TPS & the EGR sensor and pin #2 of the white 10 pin connector. The picture you posted shows a white wire with a red stripe, which is not standard for 5.0 Mustangs. But by looking at the other 2 wires, I would guess that it is the +5 VREF.

Go back and slowly read the Code 31 & 63 test paths; everything you need should be in there. You may want to print them off and highlight the steps describing the test and measurement parts of the test path.
Thank you. I'll check that wire for voltage. As far as the test paths, I actually copy/paste onto a Word doc, then broke down the paragraphs into numbered steps and substeps. I really only had a few questions pertaining to which wire you were indicating.

The EGR sensor was confusing me because of the wire colors. I thought maybe I was missing something, but it turns out that I have different color wires, because my car.

What did you think of the test results thus far?

The TPS voltage is a little high, I recommend that you try turning the sensor and see of you can get it to decrease a little bit.
Other than that, you seem to be on track. I don't have an upper voltage on the EGR, but I suspect that once you have resolved any +5 VREF questions that it will be OK.

The TPS voltage is a little high, I recommend that you try turning the sensor and see of you can get it to decrease a little bit.
Other than that, you seem to be on track. I don't have an upper voltage on the EGR, but I suspect that once you have resolved any +5 VREF questions that it will be OK.
Thanks for the reply. This info is truly helpful, you have no idea. My TPS is adjustable. I have a summit 70mm TB and it has an adjuster plate onto which the TPS attaches. I just turn the plate either way to adjust. I'll look to put the TPS more in the middle of the .600-1.1 range.

After adjusting the TPS I'll probe the odd wht/red wire at the EGR sensor for 5Vref while grounding the neg lead to a car grnd.

Lastly, if I identified the exposed wires on the white 10 pin correctly, it seems that one of them was for ECU/ TPS voltage communication. That could explain a lot, especially if the TPS and EGR sensor are on the same wire.

Update: @jrichker

1) Readjusted the TPS voltage to .827
2) Checked voltage at wht/red wire at EGR sensor w/KOEO and, if I was checking it right and if it was the right wire, consistently read 22.9mv.

I took another pic for your reference. There seems to be a wire that the EGR sensor and TPS share, but it is not the wht/red wire. I was apprehensive about testing unidentified wires. Maybe you might have some more feedback?

EGR Sensor wires.jpg

Update: 26 Miles. (@jrichker)

Ok. I decided to test drive the car since I completed the 10 pin connector fix, repaired the bare wires, readjusted the TPS, and ran the tests earlier this week and today. I had my wife follow me in case there was trouble.

The results after 26 miles and a KOEO code scan:

11 (o)
11 (c)

Woohoo! Thank the Lord and thank you jrichker. I am cautiously optimistic. I plan on putting some more miles on it to and from church tomorrow morning. Hopefully all goes well (i.e., no more shorts). After we get home I plan on doing another KOEO test followed by a KOER test, which I have not done before due to constant KOEO failures.

Stay tuned!

Reactions: 4 users