need advice on 99 with bad engine

svtease

Mar 18, 2003
Well the red 99 v6 automatic died yesterday and needs a new long block.

It has 117,000 miles I think ,straight body ,front seats need recovering,and it needs a sunvisor.Other than that it is pretty good I think.My daughter drives it.
My question is how much is a 99 worth with a bad engine? I am thinking about selling it as is. It is near Coulmbia SC.No rust or bondo.It has been partially repainted.
Any ideas what it is worth?
A used motor looks like $450.00 plus labor

• Sponsors (?)

Prob $4k-5k in present condition. If you want to sell it, you'll probably get more money if you replace the engine first. The only people who are going to be OK with buying a car that needs an engine are not going to give you much for it.

If you decide to keep it, how about taking this opportunity to spice it up a little? You can drop in a Cobra powertrain for about $6k, or do a 5.0 buildup for a lot less if you do most of the work yourself. Check your state's laws on engine changes first, though.

you might be better of goin to some dealerships and asking around or maybe even put it up at auction see wat they will giv u and kinda get an estimate unless u can find a young kid that wants t build his own car :D
but from my experiance if u would go to a dealer with those miles and ur body and ur bad engine ur probably gonna get 3k the highest

Dealers are only gonna rip you off, one way or the other. If they buy it with no trade, they will offer a very low price. If you trade, they will give you more, but charge more for the car you are buying. You will definitely get more selling it yourself. I say if the car has a good straight body, all it needs besides the engine is seats and a sunvisor, you might as well fix it up. And don't get a cheapo junkyard engine, get a good crate V8. There are lots of places that sell them new, like the Ford performance catalog. Seats are not all that much. It will cost you a few thousand all together, but you will have a nice car with a new heart that will last for many years. I know it is different in each state, but here in Oregon, they told me that you can swap an engine and still pass inspection, as long as it was offered by the factory on that year of car. So if it is the same where you are, that gives you a choice of the 260 HP GT engine, or the 320 HP Cobra.

Check with your insurance company, too. You may think that because it has a V6 VIN, you will always get to pay V6 rates. Some companies don't do it that way.

You don't want to total the car a few years down the road and have them say "You never told us the car was a V8 now. Claim denied".

Thanks for the thoughts.
salvaged engines are going from 385- 900 bucks.

The best thing to do would be make a race car out of it,but I can't afford to.
I would sell it as is for 2500 bucks let me know if you know any one near SC that might want one.:D