Engine Need Advice

Prodigy

Jul 7, 2015
So here goes I recently acquired a 95 5.0 t5 black car. The guy that had it didn't know much about it, his wife was making him all, but there were a bunch of receipts. It has a f303 cam, sbf cam spring kit, true roller timing set, gt40 heads, upper, and lower intake, k&n filter, some brand of shorty headers and flows. Auto lite plugs and wires, Motorcraft distributer. The car starts and idles great around 750, but over warm when you shut it off. If you start again it just keeps dieing, it won't idle on its own. You can Rev it up drive, then it is fine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I have contacted bama tunes to see if a tune can remedy this. Thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

Clean the MAF sensor element. Once the engine reaches operating temps the ecu runs in closed loop and this requires that all the sensors function correctly. To this end ensure the battery to engine and engine to chassis grounds are solid. You need to remove the terminals and clean them to bare metal. Also, check for corrosion in these cables under the sheathing at each connection point. You do not need a Bama tune or for that matter any tune based on your mods.

Idle rpm is a PCM commanded value. The IAC valve may have failed. It's an on/off solenoid that controls the air flow to the TB at idle. I would suggest that for under $25 you buy a code reader such as this one. The reader will help pinpoint the problem rather than relying on guesses.

This happened to me before. It was just corroded battery terminals. Cleaned those up and idled fine.

Solid battery to engine and engine to chassis grounds are one of the most overlooked but critical maintenance points. Without good grounds all sensor outputs are negatively affected. That with aging sensors will cause numerous operating issues.

Cleaned terminals and grounds. Took apart throttle body abd was full of gunk, removed tps and iac and removed all gunk. Replaced the tps and iac as they were original and iac was gunned up inside, tps had cracked. Now I found I need a new throttle cable as mine is loose, zip ties until new cable arrives. Waiting to bring it out and see how it does.