Fox Need Advice

Aris.92lx

Jul 27, 2015
So I'm going to be taking the motor out of my lx and I was going to rebuild the crap out of the 302, I heard I was better off changing the block completely I just wanted to know if that's a better idea and if so which block. I'm not planning on going full drag but I will be dragging it from time to time but I also want to have it on the streets. Any advice guys ?

• Sponsors (?)

If you're going above 450-500rwhp and/or going to spin the motor above 6500rpm consistently then you will need an aftermarket block. Dart machinery blocks are the best but the FMS BOSS block is acceptable also. If you do not go over those specs you can use the factory block. Just know that if going aftermarket you're looking at 4500-5k for a shortblock.

So I'm going to be taking the motor out of my lx and I was going to rebuild the crap out of the 302, I heard I was better off changing the block completely I just wanted to know if that's a better idea and if so which block. I'm not planning on going full drag but I will be dragging it from time to time but I also want to have it on the streets. Any advice guys ?
Do you have a HP number in your head you'l like to attain? A certain 1/4 mile time? Want to stay naturally aspirated or go boost or nitrous? A mostly stock 5.0 with a T5 trans, full intake, exhaust, gears. good suspension and sticky tires, and a GOOD DRIVER can get into the 12's easy.

As others have said, why do you want to change blocks. Many guys have produced well over 450hp with the stock block. That is more than enough for most people. I wouldn't bother with taking it to 306, the extra 4 cubes isn;t worth the effort or money spent.

Get a good set of heads- TFS or AFR, a matching cam, a decent intake, larger injectors and matchted MAF, a good balancer, a good tune, and you are set. There are plenty of choices in cams and intakes.

First start off with what your goal and budget is. That will dictate where you go from there. Expect to spend anywhere from $2000 to $6000 on a top end and supporting parts.