Need Advise!!

My name is Lori, I'm new to this site and I hope someone out there can give me some insight as to what may be going on with my baby!! I have a 2000 GT. She has some bolt on's. 373 gears, Pro 50 shifter, X pipe with flow masters. No converters. Cold Air, Throttle body, Pulleys, and SCT chip. I recently had a upgraded engine (same engine 4.6L) put in her with long tube headers. Had little issues here and there with the install. All minor things. The one thing I have going on now is the car acts like its not getting enough fuel to turn her over on the first crank. I have a new fuel pump and filter. I had a mechanic tell me it threw a fuel sensor code. He cleared and it did not come up again. I feel it may be my fuel regulator. But when discussing with different people of course I get different opinions. I was even told to check my egr valve. This is why I'm reaching out to my Mustang community. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The 02 Mustangs do not have a regulator for the fuel, they have fuel pressure sensors. So don't go looking for a FPR, lol, you won't find it. With these cars tho, it could be a number of things causing a slow or hard start. Question tho, what fuel pump did you have installed? What size injectors do you have? And what was upgraded on the engine?

Reactions: 1 user
The 02 Mustangs do not have a regulator for the fuel, they have fuel pressure sensors. So don't go looking for a FPR, lol, you won't find it. With these cars tho, it could be a number of things causing a slow or hard start. Question tho, what fuel pump did you have installed? What size injectors do you have? And what was upgraded on the engine?

My very first thought.

What code was it throwing exactly?
Not sure of the exact code. Just stated it was fuel rail sensor. Stated that when he cleared it. It did not throw it again. So not sure if the sensor is my issue
My very first thought.
My very first thought.
Fuel pump I think was a Spectrum. 42lb injectors, Engine was stock with heads ported and cut closer for fuel flow so Im told. Not sure if it was a Romeo or Windsor. Sorry not very helpful I know. Was just hoping it was something simp

I have a 2000. Not 02. If that makes a difference!

Not sure of the exact code. Just stated it was fuel rail sensor. Stated that when he cleared it. It did not throw it again. So not sure if the sensor is my issue

Fuel pump I think was a Spectrum. 42lb injectors, Engine was stock with heads ported and cut closer for fuel flow so Im told. Not sure if it was a Romeo or Windsor. Sorry not very helpful I know. Was just hoping it was something simp

You need to have codes pulled from your car's computer. There may be latent codes even if your check engine light is not on. Most auto parts stores can pull codes for yo if you do not have the means.

The tune that you mentioned before, is it an off-the-shelf tune or was your car tuned on a dyno?

Car was dyno years ago. Will be getting tuned again

If you have someone that you're already working with in the tuning department, they should also be able to help diagnose.

Something you can try is unplugging the tuner from the EEC, cleaning the pins, and reinstalling.

Any additional diagnosis would require more info. Don't rule out a bad pump. New ones go bad all the time and I can't say that I've heard of Spectrum.

For some reason I thought you said it was a 2002. My bad, sorry about that. But in any case, the 99 and up Mustang GTs are all returnless systems and did not come with fuel pressure regulators. The only way you would have one is if your car was modified with a return style set-up. I would say first off that your car is not running optimally because your fuel injectors are way too big. Your engine can be tuned around it, but even at that they are way to big. With a NA engine, and with your mods, I would guess that you are just under 300 to the wheels or right around that mark. So for you, 24#s would be good. You could go up to 30#ers at the most. Second, I don't know much about Spectra fuel pumps but they do not sound like a pump that I would trust.

If it is the fuel rail pressure sensor, that part is on the driver's side fuel rail. It is super easy to replace but you will have to relieve the rails of pressure first. You can let it sit for a day and then replace it...you might spill a little fuel but I do that all the time, lol!! It takes about 5 min to do. Also, if you're gonna have it re-tuned, I really suggest you get yourself some 24# injectors and have it tuned with those. It may be a simple problem of the engine just running too rich with those injectors.