Need Help Assessing A Used 'stang

J. Nez

Feb 8, 2014
So, I currently drive a '96 GT with 147k miles, and have found a pretty good deal on an '07 GT. It'll come with 4 years of an aftermarket warranty, but I still want to make sure it's in good shape before I drive it home.

The main thing that worries me is it has 110,000 miles, and a Kenne Bell 2.6 stage 1 supercharger. The person who sold it to the dealer didn't provide service records so for all I know it's been on stock internals the last 100k and will crap out in a month... Or it could have had forged internals put in 20k ago... Neither of us know.

The rest of the car is in seemingly good shape other than a 3rd gear synchro (getting fixed), but I do plan on getting a mechanic inspection before I do anything. Would they be able to tell me more about that engine? Obviously they'll be willing to do anything for a price but how difficult would it be to check for forged internals in that engine? Heck, is it easy enough to do myself?

The car was an absolute blast to drive, but how can I make sure I'm making a well informed buy here?

• Sponsors (?)

The only good way to inspect for forged internals would require dropping the oil pan, and that really would only tell you if they aren't factory, not necessarily that they're forged. And that would mean either pulling the engine or dropping the k-member. I'd steer clear of this buy unless the dealership can look into its records and contact the previous seller. If have a warranty like that car and it only covers engine failure, etc if the car has not been modified. That's a pretty risky car car. Yes, it could have been well maintained and not abused with forged internals or it may be an overstressed time bomb just waiting to throw a rod. Just my two cents.

I agree, it does seem risky. The dealership had told me that the warranty would cover engine failure even with the supercharger, though? I'm sure I could even get them to put that into writing on their contract if I was pushy enough. I did plan on bringing it to a mechanic I know before I decide anything at all, but what sort of things can I have him check for me that might help?

A leakdown test like tonydalrymple mentioned is something, but other than that, what tests can be run?

I'll certainly talk to the dealership about getting into contact with the previous owner, that could end up getting me some answers. But unfortunately I'm not counting on that happening.

This could be an exception, but I've never heard of a dealership actually offering a warranty on used vehicles. Generally, the "warranties" they offer are insurance policies through a third party insurance company that covers replacement parts and labor after the customer pays a deductible. If that's the case, the contract for the insurance policy should state what parts are covered and should stipulate whether it would or wouldn't cover modified components. A factory supercharger wouldn't be an issue (although the insurance policy would be more costly) but an aftermarket blower would almost assuredly void the policy. Simply reading through the contract will inform you though.
Cylinder compression tests can give you a good indicator of the overall condition of internal engine wear. I can't remember the name of it, but there are also dyes which can be added to engine oil and coolant that makes it a little easier to check for leaks, but the dealership may not like that. Other than that, almost any shop can perform inspections of brakes, suspension, steering, etc. and can even use dial indicators to check the amount of play in components.

This could be an exception, but I've never heard of a dealership actually offering a warranty on used vehicles. Generally, the "warranties" they offer are insurance policies through a third party insurance company that covers replacement parts and labor after the customer pays a deductible. If that's the case, the contract for the insurance policy should state what parts are covered and should stipulate whether it would or wouldn't cover modified components. A factory supercharger wouldn't be an issue (although the insurance policy would be more costly) but an aftermarket blower would almost assuredly void the policy. Simply reading through the contract will inform you though.
Cylinder compression tests can give you a good indicator of the overall condition of internal engine wear. I can't remember the name of it, but there are also dyes which can be added to engine oil and coolant that makes it a little easier to check for leaks, but the dealership may not like that. Other than that, almost any shop can perform inspections of brakes, suspension, steering, etc. and can even use dial indicators to check the amount of play in components.

I agree, it does seem risky. The dealership had told me that the warranty would cover engine failure even with the supercharger, though? I'm sure I could even get them to put that into writing on their contract if I was pushy enough. I did plan on bringing it to a mechanic I know before I decide anything at all, but what sort of things can I have him check for me that might help?

A leakdown test like tonydalrymple mentioned is something, but other than that, what tests can be run?

I'll certainly talk to the dealership about getting into contact with the previous owner, that could end up getting me some answers. But unfortunately I'm not counting on that happening.

Get everything in ink. I doubt anyone will warranty a 2007 Mustang for anything beyond squeaks and window motors. Buyer BEWARE!