Need help with front end!!

2001NOSGT

Founding Member
May 11, 2002
TEXAS!
I have not been on here in a little while but I am having some trouble with my front end. It first started about 1,000 miles ago. The front end shakes back and forth pretty bad. I feel it in the steering wheel sometime moving up to 2" form side to side. At first I thought maybe it was just out of alignment or maybe even a tire problem so I replaced the two front tires and got a front end alignment. The problem seemed to be fixed for a little while but now is getting even worse. It is especially bad while braking. I had the rotors checked out but they weren't bad enough to be causing this big of a problem. Someone mentioned ball joints to me before but I don't know enough about the front suspension to diagnose this problem and I wanted to see if someone could help before I have to pay someone to look at it. HELP!!

• Sponsors (?)

I thought the same thing at first but even if there were a brake problem why would there still be shaking when I am not braking? And every once in a while when I take a corner pretty fast I will hear a pop. I hope that it IS something to do with the brakes maybe a warped rotor or something but would that still make it shake without braking? :shrug:

you said you have new tires so you can rule them out. if your rims were bent the tire shop (id assume) would let you know about it when they do the balancing so you can rule them out too.

now, if the tire shop put the lugs on too tight that could cause a nasty shaking issue. then factor in that the rotors are warped (shakes more while braking) and you've got a combined issue on your hands.

at the very least have the wheels re-balanced and check for straightness, if they check out ok be sure the lugs are hand torqued back on. test drive the car... if the shaking while driving is gone half of your problem is solved... then apply the brakes and see if it still shakes while braking. if it does your rotors are junk and youll need new brakes... if it dosent the proper tightening of the wheels (torque) now has set the rotors sitting on the hubs squarely which in turn cured the brake shake.

-Mike

Try raising up the front of the car and put it on jack stands. then grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom with the other hand. See if there is any play by pushing with one hand and pulling with the other and vise versa. I think this is a good way to see if your ball joints are bad. Someone else may know for sure. But I dont think there should be much back and forth play if the ball joint is good.