Need Help With Hipo Exhaust Manifold Fitment With "h" Pipe

Mustanger1966

Jul 6, 2015
Apparently I posted my thread on the wrong forum, General Topic. So I am now posting it in the Other Tech forum looking for an answer, if there is one. I got 27 views but no replies or info. Here I go again:
I am in the process of installing a turn-key 300 hp 302 in my 1966 coupe. I pulled the stock 289. I am installing 1965-66 Hipo exhaust manifolds in lieu of headers. I purchased the Scott Drake manifolds and an "H" pipe for the 1965-66 Hipo. Upon performing a dry fit before trying to install it into the car, I discovered that the "H" pipe will not line up to the right side (passenger) manifold due to a 1.5" (one and one-half) kick-out of the connection. I have gone to NPD with both my manifolds and the "H" pipe and checked them against their products and they are identical. I installed my stock manifolds on the new engine and everything lines up (so the block is not wider). My solution at this point is to install the engine, install the manifolds and have the "H" pipe modified to fit. This just does not seem right because I would expect that the "Hipo" parts made for the engine would fit correctly, but they do not. Oh, I also tried the Hipo exhausts and "H" pipe on the 289 and got the same result as the 302. Does someone out there know something that both my mechanic and I don't about this? If so, please let me in on it.

#1 Mustanger1966, Yesterday at 3:58 PM

• Sponsors (?)