Need Help With Trans Swap!

classypeopleracing

Jul 4, 2014
I recently put a 2001 4r70w into my 1998 with a 4r70w. It will not shift, I can physically move move the shifter but it will not shift out of park. I have been doing some research and sorta found out about the difference between a vss and oss. How would I get this to work? I swapped out my old tail shaft cover and sensor from my 1998 4r70w and it still will not shift. What am I doing wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

Is the brake pedal sensor installed correctly? I had a problem with mine where I was constantly blowing the fuse for that sensor so I installed a larger fuse. No problems since.

Could the pedal sensor/switch itself be bad?

It wont "go bad" per-say. It all comes down to how it was installed or the fuse. OP says fuse is good so there has to be a problem with the switch itself.

OP, yes. The best indicator of your problem is whether or not the brake (not break) lights come on. If they don't, its the sensor.

I the meantime, you can bypass the brake sensor. When you insert your key, turn it very slightly to its first position (before you turn on the electrical). At this point, you can manipulate the shifter without the brake sensor.

Shift it to neutral and start the car.

I tried it and still won't shift into gear. To my understanding the oss system acts the same as a crank position sensor only for the trans. 1998 mustangs came with a gear driven vss system that is not comparable with later oss unless you have an extended speedcal to convert the signal.

I have installed the speed cal and still nothing, I replaced the brake sensor and checked the wiring and everything seems good. I can put the shifter itself into reverse and the reverse lights will come on but the transmission itself will not shift into reverse. I will give the motor gas after i shift it into drive and nothing happens, the car engine revs but the car will not go. Any suggestions on how to fix it?