Need Help

MustangGT559

Aug 26, 2015
So I got my 1990 mustang last week and the driver seat was wobbly. So yesterday I took off both seats passenger side seats were perfect everything was intact and as far as I can tell I was the first to move them. Well the driver seat were broken from the bottom. As you can see in the picture that whole hole is torn apart. My question is, is it repairable? Or do I need to buy a whole new floor panel. Thank you in advance
2urm5g4.jpg
2803yp1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Looks like someone forced or pried the seat out. Guess they weren't smart enough to find the bolts.

You can repair them. Make yourself a template from the passenger side and mount some nut-plates to pre-cut face plate. Weld the new face plates in place of the torn portions.

Reactions: 1 user
Get under the car and check the floor pans. Mine were broken and sagging. Had to weld in New material. Not hard just a pita getting everything out of the way.

I have fixed the same problem twice before on 2 different cars. Your can weld the repair in or do what I did which was to fab a set of repair plates and fasten it in with aircraft blind structural rivets.
I will post some pictures showing the rivet method this evening when I get home.

What ever you do to fix it, the first step is to remove the center console, the other front seat and ALL the carpet.

Last edited:
@MustangGT559, @Noobz347

This is what my solution to the problem looks like:
I don't have a welder and it would have been difficult to get the car to a place that could do a satisfactory job of welding up a suitable repair..
Two pieces of 16 gauge steel that overlap at the top to make an approximately 1/8" thick hat section.
The angle sections are riveted together with monel 1/8" diameter solid rivets.

The repair is secured in place with 18 each 1/8" Cherrylock Aircraft Structural rivets.These are NOT the same as cheap Pop rivets!!! Each rivet has a shear strength of greater than 600 pounds and there 18 rivets. The total shear strength for the riveted joint is over 5400 pounds per side. Considering my body weight, that would hold over 25 G impact for each side of the repair.

Notice that the first picture shows the damaged material cut out and the cracks are stop drilled. This keeps the cracks from spreading further and is a necessary step. This necessary even if you weld whatever repair you do in place.

037.JPG
039.JPG
041.JPG
042.JPG

044.JPG

Notice the contour cut into the Rh side of the lower leg. That was done using a contour gage from Home Depot to pick up the shape of the floor pan.
47969fd4-7f99-42a3-bdbc-e6cbf0ccabe5_400.jpg

Also notice the one stud for the seat that is welded in place. This is the only weld in the part.
045.JPG

046.JPG

The studs need to hold the wiring harness in place are flat head screws that were countersunk. The heads are flush and the locknuts used to hold them in place. A little Super Glue on the threads insures that they will never come loose.
048.JPG
052.JPG

054.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user