Progress Thread Stykthyn Tries It Again

Alrighty I'm going to keep it. For more anyway. First thing on the list is to start ironing out the front suspension. Driver side cc plate is broken I need that addressed asap. Car jerks and weaves at the first hint of a rut in the road or a fast lane change. Second is new springs. My gut instinct says to just order the mm grip box but I already have a few of those pieces on the car from prior projects. My benchmark for this car is my old 99 z28. It handled like it was on rails and was rock solid going down the interstate. Car is already 5 lugged and has discs on all 4 corners. I've redone the rear end with 3.55 gears and it has new tubular control arms with poly bushings.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Alrighty I'm going to keep it. For more anyway. First thing on the list is to start ironing out the front suspension. Driver side cc plate is broken I need that addressed asap. Car jerks and weaves at the first hint of a rut in the road or a fast lane change. Second is new springs. My gut instinct says to just order the mm grip box but I already have a few of those pieces on the car from prior projects. My benchmark for this car is my old 99 z28. It handled like it was on rails and was rock solid going down the interstate. Car is already 5 lugged and has discs on all 4 corners. I've redone the rear end with 3.55 gears and it has new tubular control arms with poly bushings.
Go for adjustable coilovers up front. Fully adjustable side to side AND if you need to pull the front end apart, it is much easier and safer than the possibility of a coil spring launching at your face at the speed of a sneeze. I've had them on my last few foxes and i wouldn't have it any other way.

What brand did you go with?
Mine are UPR, ( granted, they're only sleeves over stock shocks). But there are multiple " dampeners" that you can buy that they'll slide over.as is the cc kit, the bump steer kit, and the mfg of the rear uca/lca's.
I've always used the c/o conversion, not only for ease of future spring removal, but because it's the only way to truly get the car exactly at the ride height you want. You can opt for a stiffer handling spring, and if you ever change your mind soften the ride, or convert it to a more "drag friendly" spring rate simply by placing a call to Summit and spending about 100.00 for the set.

MM hypercoils with strange adj struts on mine. Best setup I've ever ran. I do have a softer spring rate for street/strip use. For handling I'd ask them for a specific recommended spring rate(I'd expect around 225# for a street car).

Yeah, I love this car. Just hate seeing it sit. Kept waiting for a good time to get back into it to present itself. That's just not going to happen. I need to get out there and do it.

More so than lately the Fox has been weighing on my mind and earlier this week I've decided I just need to see it through to its completion. Just a quick 're-cap the car is an 87 lx. I bought it for 1k dollars off my neighbor because he couldn't get it running. One tfi module later I did a victory burn out in front of his house( even though i told him countless times this was his problem the entire time).
Here is how the car sat the day I pushed it into my driveway.
IMAG0067.JPG

Not much on the exterior has changed since then except for the wheels.
Engine was replaced with a fresh short block, ported gt40s and at the beginning an eddy performer intake. Suspension it's tokico black struts/ shocks on worn springs, it currently has 95 spindles and pbr brakes up front, stock 95 discs out back. The interior was initially made of what I could count at least 4 different cars spanning from 1984-1993 and smelled like what I could only pray was just forgotten food wrappers in the hatch. I've since purchased everything for a correct black interior. Just have to clean it all up and get it in.
Every build starts with a visit from the brown Santa and he should be here soon. Shaolin crane is a good friend of mine abd has always been a great source of info and parts. Yesterday he cut me an amazing deal on sn length forward offset MM control arms along with the cc plates and sway bar brackets.
39085.jpeg

They should be here soon. The cc plates will go on right away as I need those asap. The control arms now have me requiring coil overs so that's no longer a choice. I've been trying to read up and I know there's a lot to choosing the right set. My question is what is the biggest difference between upr and mm coil over kit? Not trying to start a flame war, both companies make kits for my current struts and there is a clear price difference between the two.

Keep her bro. The kids will move away and She'll still be there waiting for you to tinker. I've just now got my new one to tinker with. Anyway cost way more than expected lol. Hobbies are good keeps us sane

Sent from my Z830 using Tapatalk

More so than lately the Fox has been weighing on my mind and earlier this week I've decided I just need to see it through to its completion. Just a quick 're-cap the car is an 87 lx. I bought it for 1k dollars off my neighbor because he couldn't get it running. One tfi module later I did a victory burn out in front of his house( even though i told him countless times this was his problem the entire time).
Here is how the car sat the day I pushed it into my driveway.
IMAG0067.JPG

Not much on the exterior has changed since then except for the wheels.
Engine was replaced with a fresh short block, ported gt40s and at the beginning an eddy performer intake. Suspension it's tokico black struts/ shocks on worn springs, it currently has 95 spindles and pbr brakes up front, stock 95 discs out back. The interior was initially made of what I could count at least 4 different cars spanning from 1984-1993 and smelled like what I could only pray was just forgotten food wrappers in the hatch. I've since purchased everything for a correct black interior. Just have to clean it all up and get it in.
Every build starts with a visit from the brown Santa and he should be here soon. Shaolin crane is a good friend of mine abd has always been a great source of info and parts. Yesterday he cut me an amazing deal on sn length forward offset MM control arms along with the cc plates and sway bar brackets.
39085.jpeg

They should be here soon. The cc plates will go on right away as I need those asap. The control arms now have me requiring coil overs so that's no longer a choice. I've been trying to read up and I know there's a lot to choosing the right set. My question is what is the biggest difference between upr and mm coil over kit? Not trying to start a flame war, both companies make kits for my current struts and there is a clear price difference between the two.
I have only personally used the mm pieces. They fit very well and after about 500 miles they still are very quiet. I've read the UPR setup is a little more "noisier"-looser. Again have not used them just what I researched. MM just make superior equipment. IMO money well spent.

But it comes down to preference. I have always got great deals on UPR stuff and it's always worked well for me. Nothing against mm, just can't afford them :)

Reactions: 1 users
I've been reading and reading and reading up on both companies for the last couple of days. Upr does seem to have noise and fit issues, especially when using stock or Lakewood struts. I've read the same complaints about MM as well but there weren't nearly as many.
My deduction from this is that more individuals probably ordered the wrong kits for their applications from upr because like me, they weren't really knowing what they needed and there is a steep 150 price difference.
Most people that order from MM aren't casual Sunday cars but intend to push their rides hard on the weekends and order everything they need as a package.

Reactions: 1 users