Need Some Guick Input On Gt Purchase

larietrope

Dec 22, 2016
Retired and wanting a sports car. Stopped by the Ford Dealer and this guy just traded a beautiful red/gray standard GT with 3:73, brembo package , and 19" wheel package. Stock except for shift knob. It is immaculate. 17,500 miles, Older guy who said he couldn't get in and out easily anymore. Was looking for a 17 but this one just sticks with me because of it's options and condition and miles.
Asking 21,500 but I know there is wiggle room. How good were the 2012 cars ?
Any input is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the only difference between the '11 and the '12 is that the '12 has the ability to change the settings for the steering. My '11 does not have this, but I believe you can change steering setting from normal to "Sport" mode, etc. on the '12. Something like that... maybe someone can chime in.

I had a '12 before I got power hungry and wrecked it. It was tight and strong. a stick car needs some rear suspension help to deal with the wheelhop but, otherwise fine. I had a 12 like the one described and it ran 11.91 at 115 on a canned tune and a sticky tire so, I'd say go for it, it's a hell of a good car for that price point. I have a '14 auto now and I love that, too.

I believe the only difference between the '11 and the '12 is that the '12 has the ability to change the settings for the steering. My '11 does not have this, but I believe you can change steering setting from normal to "Sport" mode, etc. on the '12. Something like that... maybe someone can chime in.

How does this setting affect the steering?

The '12 isn't as refined as a '17. Not saying that's a bad thing. Personally, I prefer the body style of the '12 and wouldn't even consider a '17. Then again, I'm a fox guy with an 88 GT!

How does this setting affect the steering?

The steering is electrically powered; it is not fluid powered. The steering gear has an ECU that monitors driving conditions, steering, NVH, etc..

If you have an '11 and go to a more-rigid front lower control arm or replace the hydraulic bushings on the stock front lower control arm with something more rigid, the steering will go crazy as it over reacts to what it considers to be potential tramlining/nibbling due to the increased road noise and steering response that can be sensed. My understanding is that the '12 models do not have this issue as it was corrected in the steering gear's ECU. My understanding is that you can tighten/loosen steering response on a '12 or newer through the vehicle options (can a '12-'14 owner chime in?).

In my case, in order to rid myself of the notorious "noisy" front suspension issue (a popping sound, likely due to link between the struts and the A arm), not only did I have to replace the front lower control arms/A arms, but I had to replace my stock steering gear due to previously said violent shaking at speeds higher than 30mph- due to ECU over reacting to increased NVH- with a steering gear from a Boss 302R. It is said that this is not required on a '12 or newer when changing out control arm components.