Need Some Help With 66 200 Not Starting

Heyser

Nov 5, 2015
Hey there I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place. Anyways, I can't seem to get the car to start and I was hoping some of you guys would have an idea. It was running just fine until one night on my way back from town my car died a few times and wouldn't stay running unless I was applying gas. I managed to get it home and pulled the carb and rebuilt it. I put it back on and it didn't seem to help my problem much. I experienced overheating which made me think timing. now the car won't even start, it cranks but just won't catch and, if it does, it does a second or so later. I checked the carb and I am getting a decent jet of fuel when I pull on the throttle. Seeing as how it doesn't even start with a little gas poured down the carb I went to spark. I checked all the components and I'm getting a good spark, checked compression and that looks good too. I haven't had a chance to mess with it in a couple days so I was hoping you guys had some thoughts. By the way it is a 200 with automatic. Thank you guys in advance,
Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

A major Vacuum leak? Check all hoses and vac plugs. Verify your timing (jumped time). Make sure that the spark you're getting is a good strong spark. A weak spark can visually look good but be too weak. Will it start with starting fluid?

No it won't start with starting fluid. I tried it again today and it started and stumbled for about 5 seconds and died, wouldn't catch again after that. My lines look good, I'm really at a loss but I need this thing back on the road soon

Just got it to run for about 5 minutes by turning the distributor over all the way and bending the vacuum line. It was a little rough and died when I let my foot off the gas. I also tried to restart it while feathering the gas with no luck. If it's stumbling and I give it gas it dies right away.