Need some help with rusting MAC exhaust...

thedude

Nov 21, 2003
Austiin, TX
I've had my MAC bolt-on kit for a while now and this rust problem is getting pretty bad. I called MAC and they refused to replace them stating that it's not covered under warranty. I filed a report with the Better Business Bureau, but they still refuse to replace them. Their latest response is that it's my engine that has caused the rust. My brother has the same kit and the same problem. And I know others have also.

So, what I really need is some others with the same problem to contact the BBB. MAC have finally decided to go to stainless, but those of us with the chrome kits will be left with an exhaust that'll continue to rust.

So, if you have a MAC exhaust and are having problems with rust on the inside of the pipes, please go to http://www.labbb.org/scripts/cgiip....fault.htm?hCompID=13027041&hAKAID=1&hAddrID=1 and file a report with the BBB.

Attachments

• TK3898 Rust (after ~10000 miles)#3.JPG.jpg
    TK3898 Rust (after ~10000 miles)#3.JPG.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 156
  • TK3898 Rust (after ~10000 miles)#4.JPG.jpg
    TK3898 Rust (after ~10000 miles)#4.JPG.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Sponsors (?)

LsRedy2Kstang said:
This is in no way a Tech article. You are here just to post your propaganda. I will not close this thread, but will move it to the talk section where it should have been in the first place.

I wasn't sure where to post it. And it's not propaganda, it's a request for help from other with the same problem. I didn't expect this sort of response.

rusty macs... as long as they dont fall off its fine...
remmeber when you took your stock exhaust off how rusty that was? it didnt fall off (i hope) and niether should this, it didnt cause any problems, in what way is this affecting your performance? it isnt, lol
Its natural for metal to rust when combined with oxygen, unless treated otherwise. if u have that big of a problem with a little rust then u should have sprung for the couple thousand dollar bassani kits or something, lol
the rust gives it that deep tone... IMO the best sounding catback exhaust ive heard... (i have yet to hear anything from bassani, but one would assume maybe they dont make it for 6's, and it would be just as simple as buying GT-takeoffs)

Dude, i just checked out the pictures. Are the outside of the tips rusting or just the inside?

If it is just the inside you are too damn picky. If it is the outside chrome, well there is a warranty for three years if I am not mistaken and you should clean and polish them regularly to prevent them from rusting on the OUTSIDE>

yeah, its apparent from the pic there fine, see the exposed bolt from where they hook up to the old pipes? no rust on the bolt! that means there going to hold up unless you plan on driving your car in the salty ocean or soemthing? if it make syou happy get new stainless tips for the damn thing?

Last time I checked, no one could see that freakin far up the exhaust tubing anyways. The only way to find that out is to sit under the car and unbolt the tubes, loosen the other bolts after that part since it probably won't move if you don't, and to pull them apart. If someone wants to do that just to see if there's rust, be my guest, Mr. Picky of Nit.

naw, its not like that, lol, there is rust throughout, but only on the thinnest of thin layers on the inside of the piping, not nearly enough to compromise the structural rigidity of the product, why do you think people like me and many other have them and swear by them? Just be happy they look awesome from the sides

Any number of reasons can lead to pipes rusting from the inside out. After 10K miles, I'd say yours are holding up very well. Like was mentioned, you have to clean and polish them every time they get dirty or it rains. That is the nature of aluminized steel. MAC even states that much when you purchase them. You have to know the product you are buying. Something like this is the reason to get aluminized steel headers HTS or ceramic coated.

If you make many 15 minute or less trips in the car, the pipes will rust out from inside due to the condensation in the pipes, and the car's inability to dry it out in just 15 minutes. Weather changes also affect pipes as well. A cold night leading into a hot day will force water to form on the inside. In this case, you gotta blow out and dry the systyem by running the car. There's no way around it. Just plain humidity will cause this condition as well.

These types of things happen on all cars, and all types of exhaust. I rotted out a stock stainless steel muffler once in under four years because of this. Not covered.

I understand your frustrations with the kit, but complaining to the BBB won't turn up any results just due to the fact that there is a disclaimer on the product. I drove with my MAC's on in the Buffalo winter, and that alone constitutes neglect according to MAC. The aluminized steel is what it is, and there's no way around it unless you get the whole system coated in ceramic before you put it on.

I would just use Mother's Chrome Polish on the tips to keep them looking good and to remove rust. It will take some time, but it is worth it. Next time, you may want to consider stainless steel, as that is the best there is out there.

Sorry for your troubles, though.

I know it's not that bad, but I don't really like paying $300 only to have it start to rust after a couple of hundred miles. The stock exhaust made it through more than 75,000 without a spot of rust anywhere (inside or out).

ugh i wrote a post back to this a day or two ago....this is annoying. you are getting nothing more than surface rust, which is to be expected. unless you are getting a rust through problem then there is no reason for MAC To replace that stuff...its perfectly fine.

Rusting MAC Exhaust

Hey Man!
I bought my cat-back system from Mustang Warehouse on Ebay!I installed the system in May 2004 and in August I had rust on the outside of the chrome tips which I washed and waxed regularly.Called Mac and they at first said it was Mustang Warehouse's problem,called them and they said no ,it MAC's problem and read their warranty.I sent pictures to MAC and a copy of the invoice at first they wanted to charge me $145.00 to upgrade me to the new stainless chrome tips, I said no ways guys I just bought the system and read the warranty, they said ship the tips to us and the owner will make a decision. They finally honored the warranty.I did this and in two weeks got a new set of 3" stainless fully adjustable tips which are very nice!!!No rust!!!You have to be persistant with MAC! :nice:

when i replaced my stock exhaust with the MAC y-pipe, the stock had the same thing, the surface rust on the inside. I was upset at first, but soon learned its jsut a thing that happens, and really nobody notices it unless you point it out. My MAC system has the surface rust on the inside again, and it did after jsut a few hundred miles. like said before, it happens because of short trips and not allowing the pipes to dry out fully. Its not a big deal and i highly doubt MAC will do anything for you, it just happens, whether stock or aftermarket part.