Need to replace the output shaft bushing on your T5? Here's the tool to get.

I drove it flush since that's where the old one was. IIRC, the tool doesn't quite get it there, but just put something about the right size over it and tap it a few times. Other than that, the tool works great.

• Sponsors (?)

I just rebuilt my T5 about a month ago (first time tearing into a transmission) and was unaware of this bushing. I'm buying a new one from lmr.com and was wondering if anyone has the tool I could borrow if I cover shipping as I would like to save $150 since I don't think ill be replacing this again. I live 30mins north of Miami, FL if anyone lives close enough or I can pay for shipping, thanks

Actually the one you posted is cheaper. The guy from Australia emailed me back the cost is $208US ($350AU) plus 10% tax and shipping. It looks like it could be shipped for somewhere between $50-$80. Thats a lot of money for a tool that will get used a handful of times at most. It will work on lots of different things though so it could be handy to have around. It would be nice if I could find someone local that would loan me a tool.

Old, old thread I know -- hoping Chythar is still around and subscribed. I borrowed the tool from someone - no instructions. I can see how to remove the bush -- but can't figure out how it can be used to install the new bush. Any tips? Thx - Michael

Crawls out from under his car, covered in grease

I haven't used the tool in years, but here's what I remember after re-reading the instructions:

Take the tool apart. This means removing the 'expander' (the part with the black rubber rings) and unscrewing the center bolt completely.

Install the BLACK tube into the "cap'. (This presumes you're using it on a Ford transmission, of course) Remove the allen head screw to get the tube in far enough, and reinstall the screw to lock the tube in place.

Put the new bushing on the 'expander' and slide the 'expander' over the black tube. Rotate the expander so it locks in the 'cap'.

The black tube should fit over the output shaft and line up the bushing correctly. Use a plastic or rubber mallet to hit the back of the cap, and the bushing should start going in. The tool will bottom out once the bushing is in all the way.

If any part isn't clear, let me know.

Thanks Chythar -- as I was cleaning up the tool from previous use, lubing things up and doing some fine hand filing to get tolerances correct - I figured it out as you described. Although I'm not sure I would have thought to take the screw out.....and I should have.

Thanks Chythar -- as I was cleaning up the tool from previous use, lubing things up and doing some fine hand filing to get tolerances correct - I figured it out as you described. Although I'm not sure I would have thought to take the screw out.....and I should have.

Glad you figured it out; the instructions really aren't that clear. They make perfect sense AFTER you've figured it out of course.

While I didn't have any such troubles, it would suck greatly if the tube got stuck inside the transmission. I imagine that's why the screw is there.

That was a piece of cake.....2 hours to get the car safely up in the air, drain fluid, remove driveshaft, remove seal. 90 seconds to remove bush using the special tool.
h9lyoUz.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I have this tool and it is available for loan, but I live in Tennessee.

If you want to borrow it, PM me (all I ask is that you cover the shipping charges).

Hi there,

I realize this post is quite old, but figured it may be worth a shot. I'm trying to replace the tailshaft bushing in my T5 swapped 66 Coupe and I saw you live in Tennessee as I do. Any chance you still have the bushing removal / instal tool?

Thank you,

Chris Porter