Engine New Block

Shadowblack5.0

Mar 11, 2016
In the market for a new heavier duty block. Anyone know where I can grab one that's sturdier than the 94 stock block? Preferably around $800-$900 no more than $1200?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

I have found .30 over 69 xxx for 200 with 1000 miles, a .60 over 79 351w for $350, and a 74 .30 over 302 rehoned with new freeze plugs. What would you suggest?

The 351w....but price out swap headers and front brackets ie alternator, power steering, ac, etc...

The lower intake from 302 won't work. The accessory brackets won't bolt up. Headers need to be ordered. Balance is different than a 302. Oil pan needs to change. Harmonic balancers don't swap...and neither do you the flywheels or flex plates. Someone sells a swap kit....I've seen it online but don't know who sells it.

The reward is a block that is at least 49ci bigger and can confidently handle 750hp.

I got a trick flow track heat upper and lower says it compatible. I was afraid it wouldn't be a straight swap I'll check it out. However apparently the 302 xxx is a dss level 20 block only.

Keep in mind those older blocks aren't going to be set up for the stock H.O. roller cam. You'll also need to deal with the dipstick. It's arguable whether or not they'll hold more horsepower, though theoretically the 69 would have higher nickel content. The Windsor at 60 over might be too much for a reliable daily driver.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a trick flow track heat upper and lower says it compatible. I was afraid it wouldn't be a straight swap I'll check it out. However apparently the 302 xxx is a dss level 20 block only.

Nothing to check out. An intake built for a 302, will not swap out to a 351W. It physically isn't possible. While the upper may be interchangeable between the two, the lower intake on a 351W is approx 1-1/2" wider by comparison.

Reactions: 1 users
The 351w....but price out swap headers and front brackets ie alternator, power steering, ac, etc...

The lower intake from 302 won't work. The accessory brackets won't bolt up. Headers need to be ordered. Balance is different than a 302. Oil pan needs to change. Harmonic balancers don't swap...and neither do you the flywheels or flex plates. Someone sells a swap kit....I've seen it online but don't know who sells it.

The reward is a block that is at least 49ci bigger and can confidently handle 750hp.

The SN95 accessory brackets will bolt straight to a 351 block but will require a longer belt.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought the accessories would saw that in another post. I think I'm going with another I found. Guy says he has an 89 dss level 20 bored .30 over but he's letting it go for $200 I got him to $100. Jury's out on how legit it is until he gets the paperwork. Going to see it this weekend. After that I just gotta find the right pistons, heads, cam, and all the goodies that go with a cam.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I know you already know, but just in case. Have the block magna fluxed for cracks. Small cracks that are not visible to naked eye show up.

I'm not sure a DSS block is going to hold anything more than stock. I've never owned one so I have no experience, but it was my impression that the 'magic' was in the internals and the build. If it's bare, it's just a stock block. Unless I'm wrong. Either way if it's in good shape and semi-prepped you're not losing much for $100. Just not sure it meets what you said you were originally looking for.

I'm looking to just hit 450 at the wheels naturally aspirated. Have a nice weekend street beast that can put down numbers at the track. I'm under the impression they did some voodoo magic and beefed the block up I could be wrong. Further research is required.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

DSS does a little work to supposedly make them stronger but it is not going to be that much stronger than stock. I do know they machined their logo and Level 20 on to the top of the block at the back. Another way to tell is look for threaded freeze plugs in the block vs pressed in. The weak spots are not addressed much in their Level 20 work in my opinion but it would work for a N/A motor just fine. Going to take a stroker and a lot of RPM to get to the 450hp number on a N/A motor though.