New Car, New Project

Got the sprayer out today and had some fun. Sprayed the underside of the hood and the lower body area where the ground effects hang. The paint came out great and the shine is awesome, this paint and clear went on so good, I hope the rest of the car goes on as good.
Also went back to my practice hood and laid out my racing stripes, kicked around a few different looks and finally landed on a nice look,

Attachments

• 102_0377.JPG
    102_0377.JPG
    919.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 102_0378.JPG
    102_0378.JPG
    984.4 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

so I 've been moving along now, it's good to be on the put it back together side.
finished up the engine bay, ready for the engine.
sprayed the lower body wear the body panels go and the underside of the hood. This paint is nice, you could comb your hair in the reflection from under the hood.
started putting the body panels back on and trying to get things lined up.
It comes off faster than it goes back on.
Picked up some louver look rear light lenses off ebay.
I was at a small car show today and was studying some of the wheel, the older style wheels had a more centered offset or zero offset which allows more room under the car for wider tires without needing to alter fenders or add tubs. One guy had a chevy pick up with what looked like 15-16" rims on it, the hub was 12" back in the wheel so he added fender flares.
I posted a thread about rims and offset & setback, I found a very good article that explained the wheel terminology. the newer rims with the mounting plate al the way outboard was designed for the newer front weel drive cars, they had to move the hub out to make the drive axles longer. They kept the look on the rear wheel drives but it doesn't help us with fit at all. Check out the article for your self, it's interesting and opens your eyes to what will work better. reworking your wheel wells, removing your shocks or installing limiter on your steering is not the correct answer.

Attachments

• 102_0371.JPG
    102_0371.JPG
    819.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 102_0375.JPG
    102_0375.JPG
    819.4 KB · Views: 215
  • 102_0376.JPG
    102_0376.JPG
    856.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 102_0377.JPG
    102_0377.JPG
    919.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 102_0378.JPG
    102_0378.JPG
    984.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 102_0379.JPG
    102_0379.JPG
    854.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 102_0380.JPG
    102_0380.JPG
    703.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 102_0381.JPG
    102_0381.JPG
    921.2 KB · Views: 217
Reactions: 2 users
so I 've been moving along now, it's good to be on the put it back together side.
finished up the engine bay, ready for the engine.
sprayed the lower body wear the body panels go and the underside of the hood. This paint is nice, you could comb your hair in the reflection from under the hood.
started putting the body panels back on and trying to get things lined up.
It comes off faster than it goes back on.
Picked up some louver look rear light lenses off ebay.
I was at a small car show today and was studying some of the wheel, the older style wheels had a more centered offset or zero offset which allows more room under the car for wider tires without needing to alter fenders or add tubs. One guy had a chevy pick up with what looked like 15-16" rims on it, the hub was 12" back in the wheel so he added fender flares.
I posted a thread about rims and offset & setback, I found a very good article that explained the wheel terminology. the newer rims with the mounting plate al the way outboard was designed for the newer front weel drive cars, they had to move the hub out to make the drive axles longer. They kept the look on the rear wheel drives but it doesn't help us with fit at all. Check out the article for your self, it's interesting and opens your eyes to what will work better. reworking your wheel wells, removing your shocks or installing limiter on your steering is not the correct answer.
The engine bay looks nice and clean now. I'm really looking forward to how it'll look with the engine in there.

booth1.JPG
Got all the ground effects on today, one final 800 wet sand and new tape job getting ready for paint.
Pulled her into the paint booth today (prepped garage) but it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate.
I 'am going to try Wednesday, well see?

Attachments

• booth2.JPG
    booth2.JPG
    737.8 KB · Views: 197
  • booth3.JPG
    booth3.JPG
    645 KB · Views: 202
Reactions: 5 users
Well the rain won't let up so I'm shooting for this Monday.
I finally finished the curtains in the garage and constructed the filter section for inlet air. I have 2 - 24" box fan exhausting air from the area, circulation seems pretty good, it should be better when I finally cover in around the fans. I also set up all the extra lighting I could gather up, should be fine.
I'll test it tomorrow when I spray the rear wing and tail light covers.

Attachments

• 102_0391.JPG
    102_0391.JPG
    401.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 102_0403.JPG
    102_0403.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 102_0404.JPG
    102_0404.JPG
    404 KB · Views: 181
  • 102_0406.JPG
    102_0406.JPG
    506 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: 1 user
Had some time to do some other work while waiting to paint.
Got out the air brush and tried my hand under the hood, didn't come out too bad, can't see it in the photo but I did some water drop painting as a back ground. The drops look 3 d on the hood.

Attachments

• 102_0394.JPG
    102_0394.JPG
    465.4 KB · Views: 212
also fitted the new electric fan and shroud to the radiator. Didn't need to mush mods to get it to fit, I think this will help a lot in the hot weather, this fan was off of a v8 Jeep wagoneer, I tested the fan and she moves some air. Will have to check final fitment after engine is installed be it looks like it should be fine.

Attachments

• 102_0396.JPG
    102_0396.JPG
    421.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 102_0397.JPG
    102_0397.JPG
    430.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 102_0400.JPG
    102_0400.JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 255
Well the rain won't let up so I'm shooting for this Monday.
I finally finished the curtains in the garage and constructed the filter section for inlet air. I have 2 - 24" box fan exhausting air from the area, circulation seems pretty good, it should be better when I finally cover in around the fans. I also set up all the extra lighting I could gather up, should be fine.
I'll test it tomorrow when I spray the rear wing and tail light covers.
Just to tell you from recent experience from painting a friends car in a very similar enclosure, you'll want to remove the filters from the exhaust. They will plug up quickly. Place a drop cloth on the ground outside the exhaust to keep the overspray off of your driveway.

Trust me on this one.

Last edited:
Just to tell you from recent experience from painting a friends car in a very similar enclosure, you'll want to remove the filters from the exhaust. They will plug up quickly. Place a drop cloth on the ground outside the exhaust to keep the overspray off of your driveway.

Trust me on this one.
He'll also wanna do something about that white garage door....It'll be a different color after he's done.

Ask me How I know.

Yea , I'm going to cover the garage door, thanks for your input.
the filters are on the fresh air intake side, fans are blowing out. I was wondering about the overspray but I was hoping it would be pretty dry by the time it exited the fans. I'll put some plastic outside of the discharge just incase. All suggestions greatly appreciated, pretty much have everything ready for Monday paint, weather providing.
Painted the wing and taillight covers, put on the rubber gt body molding on the doors.

I was thinking about how I was going to measure and align the racing stripes to keep them straight and aligned on the car. I'm going to run 2 white racing stripes from the front bumper to the rear bumper and I want to make sure everything lines up.
I rigged up a laser light on a small pencil holder that has a lazy susan under it, so the laser can be turned on the holder. Located it in the garage ceiling and tied a string to it to be able to rotate the laser. After moving the car into close position in the garage I was able to shim the laser it get it all lined up, now all I have to do is pull the string and the laser tracks a straight line down the length of the car so now after painting I can layout the stripes.
Took a time exposure so you can see the line it will draw across the hood.
It worked out pretty nice and it will really make it easy for layout lines.
102_0411.JPG

Attachments

• 102_0412.JPG
    102_0412.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 102_0415.JPG
    102_0415.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: 1 users
Well it's done:banana::banana::banana:.
finished up the last coat of clear at 10pm, long day, started at 7 this morning but it was worth it.
This thing looks awesome if I do say so myself. photos tomorrow when I can move it outside in the sun.
It was a beautiful day here in south central pa., put the base coats on by 10:30 and pushed her outside to dry in the sun, waited till1pm to start taping
racing stripes, took a lot of time to layout all the tape for stripe but they came out great. Clear went on great did 4 coats so I have some material to polish.

Well it looked great in the sun, I am very happy with the way it turned out.
Not bad for a 67 year old novice.

Attachments

• 102_0416.JPG
    102_0416.JPG
    928.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 102_0417.JPG
    102_0417.JPG
    831.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 102_0418.JPG
    102_0418.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 199
  • 102_0419.JPG
    102_0419.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
Started putting it back together today. Headlights, taillights, spoiler, installed door handles, door and hatch locks and rubber seals around door and hatch.
A little trim makes a big difference.

Attachments

• 102_0423.JPG
    102_0423.JPG
    499.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 102_0424.JPG
    102_0424.JPG
    418.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 102_0425.JPG
    102_0425.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: 3 users
Ledt me start off by saying that it is not my intention to come off as a smart ass in this post. As a matter of fact congratulations are in order.

For you to be 67 years old and pull off that DIY paint job is an accomplishment in of itself. The job is brutal by any stretch and that fact that you are as old as you are makes it amazing that you were able to pull it off by yourself.

From the pictures the actual paint job itself looks very good too. Granted, a picture never really tells all, and never does the subject matter justice, but at the same time can hide the obvious just as well.

But.....

You killed yourself with the stripes.

They're all kinds of wonky and greatly diminish the rest of the work. The real killers though are that running pony band around the bodyside molding, and those Chinese headlights. If people are free to comment as to how they truly think w/o worrying about offending someone those headlights rarely get any favorable comments, and that band.............well....it's just bad.

It's your car and you're the one that matters here but when you post the pics on an internet forum you're actually asking for opinions, input, and advice.

And that's all this is..is an opinion. And along those lines,..you'd be better dragging the sprayer back out, and covering those stripes back up with blue, and replacing the Chinese on the front of the car w/ OEM headlights.

Reactions: 1 users
Ledt me start off by saying that it is not my intention to come off as a smart ass in this post. As a matter of fact congratulations are in order.

For you to be 67 years old and pull off that DIY paint job is an accomplishment in of itself. The job is brutal by any stretch and that fact that you are as old as you are makes it amazing that you were able to pull it off by yourself.

From the pictures the actual paint job itself looks very good too. Granted, a picture never really tells all, and never does the subject matter justice, but at the same time can hide the obvious just as well.

But.....

You killed yourself with the stripes.

They're all kinds of wonky and greatly diminish the rest of the work. The real killers though are that running pony band around the bodyside molding, and those Chinese headlights. If people are free to comment as to how they truly think w/o worrying about offending someone those headlights rarely get any favorable comments, and that band.............well....it's just bad.

It's your car and you're the one that matters here but when you post the pics on an internet forum you're actually asking for opinions, input, and advice.

And that's all this is..is an opinion. And along those lines,..you'd be better dragging the sprayer back out, and covering those stripes back up with blue, and replacing the Chinese on the front of the car w/ OEM headlights.
all comments accepted gracefully, thanks for looking, the graphics are my design and are for me. That's the way I envisioned the car to look from the first day I bought it. The stripes are not prefect but I like them, I think they enhance the car. The running ponies are my personal touch, I like them because they are different, the headlights I picked up very reasonable off of facebook, they look 1000% better then the original light.
It's not a show car, it's my car .
Thanks for looking

One thing I learned years back is make sure all your paint products are same brand and compatible with each other. I'm a little confused though, why would putting a urethane paint make lacquer primer lift? The other way around, putting lacquer on top of urethane might make it lift. Again I'm no expert, and have only sprayed 4 cars, 3 motorcycles. I used to use dupont lacquer primer, I think it was called 131, it's been a lot of years back. I sprayed single stage centari enamel or 2 stage base coat/ clear on top, never had a problem. Maybe your brand primer needs lacquer top coat! My two cents worth, Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk