New Carburetor and now stock throttle cable too long

• Sponsors (?)

photos of the cable and the carburetor throttle linkage would be helpful... maybe one or two of our mechanical engineering people can make some recommendations?
thank yo
u 70mStang. Here are a couple images. One is of the throttle cable shown too long. This happened after we changed the carburetor. The other problem is that the car accelerates really high and goes about 35 mph when you release the brake. The kickback bar appears to not return as shown in the picture with the index finder is shown. We adjusted the carburetor screws and the idoling got better but it continues to fly after putting it into drive and releasing the brake. appreciate your help.

Attachments

• IMG-0673.jpg
    IMG-0673.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG-0672.jpg
    IMG-0672.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 51
Is that correct with the throttle cable bracket attached at the carb base, or is that bracket supposed to be mounted to the intake manifold?

It seems if something is holding the throttle open. Does it still have the high idle with the kickdown linkage removed? Is the choke and it's linkage adjusted correctly?

Have you compared the throttle linkages between the 2 carbs?

i understand but there isn't anywhere to move the bracket to?
Aren't those tapped holes I see further rearward on the intake??

Has the upper-most edge, only in reference to your pics in post #5, of the cable bracket been cut? It looks like that particular edge has been worked on. I'm wondering if someone modified that bracket (cut a portion off maybe?), and that's part of the issue. Like @manicmechanic007 said, it would make more sense if that bracket was further away from the carb. I've never seen that bracket mounted using a carb stud.... but I don't have any familiarity with Gen 1 Mustangs.

Aren't those tapped holes I see further rearward on the intake??

Has the upper-most edge, only in reference to your pics in post #5, of the cable bracket been cut? It looks like that particular edge has been worked on. I'm wondering if someone modified that bracket (cut a portion off maybe?), and that's part of the issue. Like @manicmechanic007 said, it would make more sense if that bracket was further away from the carb. I've never seen that bracket mounted using a carb stud.... but I don't have any familiarity with Gen 1 Mustangs.
So, on my straight six car there's another sortof throttle linkage acting as an intermediary between the cable and the carb, *and* they use the same connector on both ends! so I think that's what you're missing in this equation...

Attachments

• IMG_20230925_171418528_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230925_171418528_HDR.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 40