New Clutch Chatter And Pedal Rattel

Gallyho

Jul 20, 2015
Virginia Beach
Had a new Ford A302N clutch kit installed by a transmission shop. When I picked the car up the clutch chatters when taking off in first and reverse. Some time it engages smooth. I had a older mustang I put a Zoom clutch in and it did the same thing but worse. The car only has 75k but the throwout bearing was shot is why I replaced the kit. The shop said the flywheel looked new and still had the original machine markings.
Has anyone experienced clutch chatter on a new Ford clutch kit? Did it go away after break in? Should I have the shop resurface the flywheel anyway? Ford said I should use a new fly wheel but I have never heard that just to change a clutch. I have only driven the car one day but I think the gear shift may shake some too.
The pedal rattles some when you don't have you foot resting on it. May need an new cable or an adjustable one.
Any recommendations???

Update:

Well I have put 135 miles on the clutch and the chatter is a lot better. Some of it was me getting use to the way this clutch engages. The Ford Performance clutch is more aggressive than the original. It needs more RPM to get going. Sort of like an automatic with a stall converter. Pedal still rattles sometime but I have a new adjustable cable to install to take care of that. It looks like the old cable with the new clutch set up is to long with not enough adjustment in the auto adjuster to take up the slack.

Update:
Installed an adjustable cable assembly and the pedal rattle went away. After 500 miles I still have some clutch chatter. Its bad in reverse. Most times I can take off in first with no chatter. Going back to the shop and have them drive the car. The flywheel wasn't turned and I think I want them to fix that.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)