New Daily Driver

Mattstang04

15 Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I loved my 95 F150. It was 2wd with a 5.8L, standard cab and an 8 foot bed. I had to the the typical repairs like alternator, starter, battery and a set of cheap tires. The brake line did rust out once but it was a cheap fix. It kept my Mustang out of the elements and saved it tons of miles. Not to mention the utility of a truck. I could drive it to the parts of town, where most would not tread and no one ever bothered with it to my knowledge.

Anyway, my wife was going to get a new car and the truck had accumulated around 183xxx miles. Fifty thousand of which I put on it. I figured it would be smarter to trade it in and keep her car because lets face it an 04 Honda Civic at 180xxx mile will normally outlive a 95 F150 with 180xxx miles by a long shot.

So now I'm a Honda driver. This is my first car with four doors and a measurable amount of fuel economy. It's a transition but hopefully a change for the best. We'll see.

• Sponsors (?)

ROFL I just got an 03 Accord to retire the GT as the DD as well.

We need to start a club called "Honda owners with badass blown Mustang Garage Queens" lol

No kidding. It's becoming an epidemic. Mines an 04 LX sedan. The paint is rough but my wife took it to Honda for all the maintenance. It runs like a champ but the gas gauge has gone out. I'm told that is quite common on these. I just use the trip meter and refill it every 300 miles.

I'm planning to make it look it little more sporty. New headlights because the originals are currently flesh colored yellow from age and a grill because it was only twenty bucks. Maybe a set of nice wheels in the future and get some tint on that fishbowl. Had to check myself though. I got the mustang for modding. I am not going to drop a thousand bucks in mods on this car.

I thought it was funny when I tried to get info on making it a little quicker, the consensus was, it can't be done without going into the engine or a pricey turbo/supercharger kit.

You doing anything with your Hondo?

My mustang still makes a great daily driver for me. I bet it has more miles than any of the Honda daily drivers above, with over 225k. The gas mileage is reasonable, it isn't difficult to get over 20mpg, even in town. Insurance is cheap, taxes cheaper, never left me stranded, easy to work on, and it has enough grunt to lay some rubber and put a smile on my face.

My mustang has become more like driving a tractor. The practicality of it is out the window. Suspension is super tight, the clutch is on/off and the acceleration is rather snappy. There's no room in this urban environment for it to run as it should. I take it out on my days off and go to long, straight roads with very few residents around or I pedal it really easy for very short periods in the city. Also, I don't want to take my hobby/ fun car to my workplace. Car break ins, canyon sized potholes, and 3 out of four drivers are uninsured.

My truck bore the everyday duties and if someone hit the thing, it probably wouldn't hurt it too much and I wouldn't lose my mind over it. Now the Honda fills that void.

I could drive my Mustang everyday. I'm confident in its ability to get me anywhere I want to go but I want to keep it as nice as possible and out of harms way. I would buy another one as a DD but that's not really in the budget. Starting a family is in the future as well and car seats in the rear of mustangs would be a real chore.

Yup, growing family here too. I can fit one car seat in the back seat of the mustang without a problem, long as I have no other passengers. The passenger seat gets scooted forward, and it is easy enough with just me and the little one.
My wife has a small SUV (escape) and it works great for family duties. My mustang gets me to work and back, picks up from daycare, and runs (fun) errands on the weekend. I will admit, two car seats will be a PROBLEM in the mustang. Our second little one is due in December, so the escape will be more dedicated to family duties while the mustang will just serve as a commuter for me. Kinda sad to see it relegated to that service and stuck outside, but it's still fun and I still get compliments on the car.
I have heard the 2005+ mustangs will hold a car seat more easily and actually allow someone in the front seat while the car seat is in the back.
But alas, I am afraid a mini-van is in our future. My parents in law are living with us, and with the second baby on the way, we will have 6 which is too many for the escape. I may get away with driving the mustang separately for a while, but I am sure it won't last. I still plan to keep the mustang since I only have to pay insurance and 70$/yr for taxes/reg.

My GT has yet to hit 90K miles. The paint is flawless, the interior looks like its only a week off the showroom floor. Every aspect of it (heating/cooling, suspension, lights, Mach sound all operate like new) is in damn good shape......however, my build was quite extensive (she sat for a year) and I more than doubled the power. That means that there are still bugs being worked out, belts being shred, and other similar things. Because of that, it simply doesn't make a reliable DD. As far as fuel economy goes, I can decent MPG's as long as I am tame with it and dont get into boost.......but c'mon now, I just got back a car after a year with 500+rwhp, I doubt that its even possible to stay out of boost!

The Honda is a sedan with a tick over 100K miles. Seeing that the previous/original owner is an 86 year-old grandmother.....it is cleeeaaan! The MPG's are awesome and its comfy. It's also nice knowing that all I need to do it roll up the garage door to release the beast!