New Personal Best

Modular2v

Founding Member
Jun 30, 2002
oklahoma
Well, Needless to say..... I cant get the car to leave worth a :poo: even with the big and lil sve wheels and MT Drag radials....It would either bog or spin. I need to do some SERIOUS suspension work! See the attached time slip
IMAG0832.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Its a long story but i had upgraded them, ended up trading some stuff on the car a few yrs back....anyways. the uppers are now stock and the lowers are pro3i. Drag radials are 275s on 15 inch rim. I tried launching from 3500rpm and then i tried just leaving like i would at a stop sign. Both yield TERRIBLE 60fts. I know this car has A LOT left in it as im only running 13.5#s of boost (what my gauge reads) and i need more pracitce

Wow! 129 on a 2-valve is rolling out! I had no idea you had gotten rid of the blower setup for a turbo. Shows how much I've been around lately!

It's going to be difficult to launch a manual turbo car effectively and consistently. Your sig shows a 76 mm On3 turbo; I'm not super-knowledgeable about that turbo specifically, but I'm going to take a guess and say it's relatively laggy, which will make getting into boost in 1st gear off the line pretty difficult. Your options are either launch low and wait for the turbo to build boost (which isn't going to result in a good 60'), or launch high and risk blowing the tires off (also not going to result in a good 60'). The best option in your case seems to be to slip the clutch from a high rpm; hopefully, the higher rpm will help spool the turbo, while slipping the clutch (vs. dropping it) will keep the tires from blowing off. If you get the rpm / throttle / clutch slipping just right, I'll bet it'll hook and build boost in the first 20-30 feet, and that boost should carry you through the 60' pretty quick. A taller rear gear would probably help a lot. It's going to be rough on the clutch either way.

FWIW, every fast manual turbo car I've ever seen at the track used a 2-step to build boost, and was clutch dropping on slicks. Tank567 (a member on here) went relatively fast (low 11s) without a 2-step and on drag radials, but he had a very nice billet wheel, ball bearing, small turbo that spooled pretty much instantly. He was also a very good driver, and I believe he still had the stock 3.27s. I know he was slipping the clutch a good bit.

Wow! 129 on a 2-valve is rolling out! I had no idea you had gotten rid of the blower setup for a turbo. Shows how much I've been around lately!

It's going to be difficult to launch a manual turbo car effectively and consistently. Your sig shows a 76 mm On3 turbo; I'm not super-knowledgeable about that turbo specifically, but I'm going to take a guess and say it's relatively laggy, which will make getting into boost in 1st gear off the line pretty difficult. Your options are either launch low and wait for the turbo to build boost (which isn't going to result in a good 60'), or launch high and risk blowing the tires off (also not going to result in a good 60'). The best option in your case seems to be to slip the clutch from a high rpm; hopefully, the higher rpm will help spool the turbo, while slipping the clutch (vs. dropping it) will keep the tires from blowing off. If you get the rpm / throttle / clutch slipping just right, I'll bet it'll hook and build boost in the first 20-30 feet, and that boost should carry you through the 60' pretty quick. A taller rear gear would probably help a lot. It's going to be rough on the clutch either way.

FWIW, every fast manual turbo car I've ever seen at the track used a 2-step to build boost, and was clutch dropping on slicks. Tank567 (a member on here) went relatively fast (low 11s) without a 2-step and on drag radials, but he had a very nice billet wheel, ball bearing, small turbo that spooled pretty much instantly. He was also a very good driver, and I believe he still had the stock 3.27s. I know he was slipping the clutch a good bit.
Trapping 137mph now