New Project Novice Paint Job

Rjaaaaaa

Jul 11, 2016
I already have a project post on this car but I just finished the paint and wanted to share. I have never painted before and I've been working on this car for quite awhile now. I sprayed it in my garage Monday, started at 7 am and put on the last coat of clear at 10:30 pm. It was a long day but well worth it, I think it can out great, any problems will buff out later. This is a Honda color (Agean blue) a lot of pearl and silver metallic. For a novice painter the paint went on very nice, I used a $35 hvlp 1.4 spray gun at 18-20# air and an inline filter separator. You guys that think its beyond your abilities, it's not unless your doing a show car, if your like me on a limited budget I just saved a couple grand that I can use somewhere else on the car. All the supplies needed for body and paint ran me aroun $750.

Attachments

• 102_0423.JPG
    102_0423.JPG
    499.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 102_0424.JPG
    102_0424.JPG
    418.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 102_0425.JPG
    102_0425.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Nice job. I have to ask about the head lights are they one piece and did you have to cut the wiring to install also do they go yellow after a while. I hate my head lights and I hate hack'n wires even more. BTW nice paint job. Been spy'n on that dave guy?

Nice job. I have to ask about the head lights are they one piece and did you have to cut the wiring to install also do they go yellow after a while. I hate my head lights and I hate hack'n wires even more. BTW nice paint job. Been spy'n on that dave guy?
Thanks on the paint.
Don't know much about head lights, they are one piece with 3 led accent lights (not sure if I will connect them or not) I bought them from a guy off face book who bought them new but never used them, they look great but when I went to install them my connectors will not fit any of the sockets in the housing. They were supposed to be for 88 -93 mustangs but somethings not right. I managed to massage the sockets with a file and knife and was able to get everything to fit so no big deal but definitely not plug and play. The adjustment bolt doesn't line up with any hole in the car so I guess I will have a time getting them aimed, I can only hope they are ok as is but I doubt it.

Started putting trim back on, Q windows back in, new tail light lens and spoiler, also repainted the wheels to match car and went over and corrected some crooked ends in my stripe. It's looking a lot better each day.
I also started putting the interior trim back in.
It's been a week since I painted it so I should be able to do some color sanding and buffing on it. We'll see tomorrow on a test area.
have a couple new photos

Attachments

• 102_0437.JPG
    102_0437.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 102_0438.JPG
    102_0438.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 102_0439.JPG
    102_0439.JPG
    490.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 102_0440.JPG
    102_0440.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: 2 users
Put most of the interior trim back on and it's lookin fine.
Started sanding and polishing today, 800,1000,1500 & 2000 then buff and polish. Did one front fender that had some orange peel on it and it came out GREAT :banana::banana:. Some areas only needed 1000, 1500, 2000.
Sanded the front end and will polish tomorrow.

I did get the whole front end sanded and buffed and I must say so myself it looks great, far better than I ever expected. It wasn't to much work, although I did have some serious orange peel I a couple places but it all pretty much came out.
Taking a little break for awhile for some R&R so it will be there when we get back.
anigif.gif

Reactions: 3 users
anigif.gif
Well the exterior is 98% complete and I must say I am well pleased. I will be proud to cruise around is this ride. The buffing and polishing went well although my arms are quite sore. anigif.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Hey thanks, yea the sun does wonders to metallic paint.
I moved the car into the other side of the garage today, my overhead lift is on that side and I'm really trying to get it running for a local show on Sunday. We'll see if that's doable or not.
My wife is glad I finally moved the car because that's the side she parks in and I've had it tied up for the paint job.:cry:

Reactions: 1 user