New replacement MII (late style) gas tank

78CobraII

Jul 31, 1998
Birmingham, AL
There have been rumors around for months about a possible new repro gas tank, but now I can confirm them. I have received a prototype from Spectra Premium and have done an initial installation for fit.

It looks great and seems to have identical dimensions to the tank that came out of my 1978 Ghia. It installed fine with my original tank straps.

I don't know anything about production plans, but from the finished quality of this tank, it could be soon. The early tank is also in the works. If we can get the date of manufacture change for Spectra, it would be helpful. All that I know is that my 1976 hatch had the early style tank while my 1978 CBII and Ghia have the new style.

The first 2 pics compare the new tank against my restored original (the openings are sealed for storage).

Attachments

• IMG_9003_sm.JPG
    IMG_9003_sm.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9011_sm.JPG
    IMG_9011_sm.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Sponsors (?)

These next pics are front and rear installation pics.

I have not installed the plastic shield, inlet, sender, or check valve. I also have not put the thread locker on that was on my original hanger bolts. The tank is pulled up tight against the bottom of the car even with the bolts not completely tight. The tank does not move or vibrate when slapped hard with the palm of my hand.

Attachments

• IMG_9012_sm.JPG
    IMG_9012_sm.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_9016_sm.JPG
    IMG_9016_sm.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 147
The last two are side angle shots of the tank clearance.

I vaguely recall some small foam pads on top of my 1976 gas tank when I removed it. Can anyone confirm?

The tank is finished in bright zinc which I assume will oxidize to the standard dull gas tank finish after some time. Should I clear coat it? :)

The full set of installation pics are here:
Picasa Web Albums - bmclean - New MII Gas Tank

Attachments

• IMG_9021_sm.JPG
    IMG_9021_sm.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_9027_sm.JPG
    IMG_9027_sm.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 136