New Rims, Now need tires!!

• Sponsors (?)

Those wheels are 20x8.5 inches. 8.5 inches should accept really wide tires (at least 275 or 285).

Call an expert at tirerack.com (etc) to find out what the widest size you can fit is. With a 20 inch wheel, you are going to have to use *extremely* low profile tires to maintain the same rolling diameter.

Finally, please weigh your wheels when you get them. I’m curious how much 20” wheels weigh. I've spent hours searching for wheels online and the dam dealers rarely tell you how much they weigh. Some people (like me) care about this stuff.

Sorry Mustang05,

The first time I clicked on your link it took me to a picture of a fancy, chrome, 20x8.5" wheel. I've seen pictures of 20" wheels on a S197 and they look great, but I think the ride would suck bad.

25lbs isn't too bad for a 18x9" wheel. I've noticed that the "deep-dish" wheels tend to be a few pounds lighter than the regular/flat versions.

An 18x9" forged aluminum (the lightest kind) wheel is probably around 18-19 lbs, but they cost around $700/each and have really thin spokes. I've been looking at a company called Ronal which makes wheels for BMW, Porsche, Mercades(sp?), etc. www.ronalusa.com

They have some pretty sweet and fairly lightweight wheels at decent prices.

You can see them on the s197 Mustang here... http://www.ronalusa.com/cars/ford_mustang_05.html

dont worry about.. i was just wondering what wheels you were looking at..

but what size tires should i get?? i dont know if i should get wider in the back and smaller in the front or just the same all around... but if i did either.. what would be the best set up? i dont really know anything about tire sizes so i really need some help.. thanks!

BTW, good tires and wheels are one of the most important aspects to great handling (which is why I hate the stock V6 stuff so much). If you check the stats on any of the ultra-agile supercars out there (Ferrari Enzo, Porsche GT1, Ford GT, etc) you will notice that they all have super wide tires (like 295 to 315, or larger). Sure, they all have fancy 4-wheel, fully independent, double wishbone, unequal length A-arm, true coilover suspensions. But, stick the crappy 215/65's from the V6 onto any one of these cars and they won't get anywhere near the 1G skidpad/70 mph slalom performance they have stock (regardless of the fancy suspension).

Wide, low-profile tires on lightweight wheels is probably the single best improvement you can make to your car's handling. Your 9" wide rims should accept 275 or 285 series tires, no problem. Check with an expert though, before you buy.