Fox New To Forum. Just Bought An Amazing 5.0 But Have A Question

Depfreeman450

Feb 26, 2015
Just bought a 1990 LX 5.0 Convertible with 76,000 original miles. Automatic, all original down to tire, wheels, stereo and everything under the hood. Bought it from a 83 year old man going into assisted living that claimed he had it up to 87MPH once. It has been stored in climate control under cover for the last 6 years with it being driven to dealership where it was bought for an oil change and I have every piece of paper from each service and oil change.

I recently bought a 70MM throttle body and it all went well but I can't get the cruise control cable back into the black plastic grommet on the new SR throttle body. Is it a big deal or should I just leave it unhooked? The old throttle body had a clip I removed and it came out. This new one is black and pressed into the arm and look like maybe you can press it in but I can't get it in. Tried lubing it up with WD40 and surgi-lube (wife delivers babies) but nothing has helped.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Is this the cable you are referring to?

mump_1011_20_o+ford_automatic_overdrive_transmission_installation+aod_tv_cable_adjustment.jpg

Here is what you should do. Take off the garbage SR 70MM throttle body and put the stock one back on. Reattach the throttle valve cable that controls the shifting on your AOD to the original throttle body before you fry the AOD. The only thing you should do is repace the plastic bushing that holds the throttle valve cable in the throttle body arm with a brass bushing and cotter pin, The black plastic bushings are prone to breaking, causing the throttle valve cable to drop out and------- fry your AOD. IT takes only a few miles of driving with an improperly adjusted or broken TV cable and your AOD is toast.

Again- there is zero to be gained by the 70MM throttle body on your car,

Surgi-lube? Seriously?

Was asking a question is all. I called and asked americanmuscle where I bought the parts and they told me to put lube on it and snap it in. I went down and pulled out the plastic grommet insert the old brass one with retaining clip and it is back to normal. Thanks for the help.......I guess. Love how forums haven't changed it 20 years. A few guys with the midas touching dogging people who come here to look for answers. Won't be back to this forum. Always cooler online I guess. Your information was correct but your approach sucks.

The 70mm TB will not match the smaller intake hole and will cause a disruption in flow on a stock intake.

I am jealous of what sounds like a great find. Please come back - we usually are not at all like grumpy cat for new folks. It usually takes trying to street race your car with 3 lugs holding the wheels on and one front brake caliper to get folks upset.

I sent an email asking how to deactivate my account. This is why forums are a dying breed. Google generally is a better option than a forum. I am a retired deputy sheriff that owns a very large freshwater clothing company with over 52k on facebook and this is the very reason I would never start a forum. I'm sure there are a lot of good people buy some just love to show their Mustang knowledge to new people. If you want to know how to treat people that belong to a community you should check out how we do it on our Facebook called 5x3 fishing. I have grown to over 52k in 18 months by making everyone feels as if they a part of a group regardless of their knowledge of the sport of bass fishing.

Nice,that is an awesome color combination,I wouldn't change a single thing.Keep that car as original as possible,Ten Holes and all(But if your going to drive it,new tires,just hang onto the originals).
All original Foxes are where the money is now,even more so as time goes on.

Reactions: 1 user
Be very careful dropping the top. lower half way help folds around the frame knuckles clear the frame, lower rest of way, the 89-90 frames are notrious for tearing the top where it fold out at the frame joint while lowering the top

Actually I swapped mufflers first then added cold air and throttle body. Just reviewing all the stuff online that seemed to be the way to go without getting into the motor. That will be all I do to it. I am changing wheels but will wrap the 10 holes up and place them in storage.

That's a pristine car. Honestly, i'd probably go out of my way to keep it as original as possible as those are the cars that will acrue in value as the years go on. However, your car, your choice.

You can leave that cable unhooked if you never choose to use cruise control again. On my car, i bought a rubber grommet off mcmaster car, inserted that into the hole on the throttle body arm, and then put the end of the cable, through the grommet and secured it with a e-clip type snap ring. I'd take a pic, but I no longer have cruise on my car so it was deleted.

The stock MAF is only 55mm, so you might want to add a MAF swap onto your list of mods. The biggest choke points in the mustang's stock intake system typically are the puny MAF, and then the lower intake manifold.

I don't do FB, so I have no idea how groups work there.

FB posts are ephemeral, so tech thread look up is difficult unless the group owner makes a permanent post. People can and still will be be trolls there. Strict moderation and self control makes for better groups any internet place.

Depfreeman450, I just bought a 92 5.0 Convertible 5 speed with 41,000 a week ago. It also had stock everything. All I did was install Flowmasters and an HPipe. The cats were corroded and had exhaust leaks. All I plan on doing is replacing the speakers, they sound like crap but leaving the stock radio.

May I ask how much you paid for it
2015-02-19 12.38.59.jpg
20150210_110956.jpg
20150210_111008.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-02-19 12.38.59.jpg
    2015-02-19 12.38.59.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 20150210_110956.jpg
    20150210_110956.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 20150210_111008.jpg
    20150210_111008.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: 2 users
Manny, did the foam surrounds die on the factory speakers? Replacing them is an upgrade that you can not see is non stock. But it will surely be appreciated, even if the original ones are not sounding like a bad case of Taco Bell. Even on a "stock" ride.