New To Forum + Quick Question

Hi everyone
I am joining the forum because I am going to buy a 86 - 93 mustang 5.0 in the very near future. The question I have is should I look for one that is completely stock/original or find one that has been upgraded. I am a tech in the marine field so working on stuff is not that big of a deal. I like the money saving aspect of finding something that has been upgraded but the downside is can you trust the work someone else has done. I thank you all for your input. Will post pics when I find my new toy.

• Sponsors (?)

Seems like you answered your own question... best advise, as you come across a potential one post it up, folks will chime in when theres something to comment on...

It all depends on what your goal is- DD, street/strip, strip. There are pro's and cons to each argument. Finding a low mile, stock car allows you to drive it as is or have a solid foundation to work with. Getting a car that is already worked on can save you time and money. The problem with getting a worked on car is more often than not the car was beat on and/or items like wiring, smog equipment may be hacked or missing. Regardless- you want to check for rust, check the torque boxes, inner fender shock areas and signs of abuse. The interior will tell you the true miles on the car- if the guy says it has 50000 miles and the pedals are worn and interior is rough, most likely it is 150000 miles.

One thing I will say emphatically for the newb is to not buy a 4cyl converted car regardless of the price.

Remember, the reliability/driveability of a car is an inverse relationship to the amoount of work done to it.

Reactions: 1 users
Get something that is close to stock and clean inside and out. It's better to get a poor running car with a clean body, paint and interior as opposed to a car with a bunch of bolt on mods but the paint sucks and the interior is worn. Motors are cheaper and easier to replace, rebuild or modify than interior and body/paint.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks. This is what I was thinking also. I have found a few good cars to look at. I was wanting a five speed but have heard bad things about the t-5. What is better to get the auto or stick. Better question is what one is easier to make stronger to handle more power if I go with a supercharger or turbo set up.

Nothing wrong with the T5 until you start making a lot of HP but the same rule applies to the stock auto too. People typically like 5 speeds transmissions for the driving experience and there are some fast boosted Mustangs sporting a TKO manual trans. Auto trans for turbos seems to be the correct combo and you'll never really miss a shift under boost.

What is your HP goal?
What is your intended purpose for your car? Fun fast street car? drag strip? Going to drive it long distances? Traffic?
Got any money? This chit is expensive!

Thanks. This is what I was thinking also. I have found a few good cars to look at. I was wanting a five speed but have heard bad things about the t-5. What is better to get the auto or stick. Better question is what one is easier to make stronger to handle more power if I go with a supercharger or turbo set up.

Ok- 5 spd vs auto.. Let me be frank. 99% of people are going to say get the stick and they are right. I've owned several of these cars and this is the first AOD i've owned, Apples to apples the AOD is at least 1/2 second slower. You will need to spend money on either a shift kit/valve body, converter, and trans cooler to get the AOD on the same performance leverl as a stock T5- about $1000. It will also cost you around $1000 to convert an AOD over to a T5 properly.

For power- both are rated at around 300hp. You will need to upgrade both once you add power- figure $1000-$2000. An AOD is better for a turbo IMO. Supercharger is a toss up.

One final thing about an AOD- you need to make damn sure the Throttle valve cable is properly adjusted or it will fry the AOD in a matter of miles. If the car does not shift properly or the fluid is burnt, I'd pass.

That being said- a good running AOD is a blast to drive if set up properly, and AOD cars can be bought cheaper because no one wants them. Keep that in mind when you are pricing them.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know. This is just going to be another toy to have fun with. Not a daily. Just trying to figure out the right way to start the project. I think I will get a manual. If I go crazy with power I will build a motor and trans combo to put in the car later. I will probably do suspension and stiffness stuff first. Goal is to make a reliable car to beat on in the streets. :bang::bang:

I see I am late here. But I have to add AVOID RUST. All else is easier to fix. If it has the bolt ons you want, bonus. Look for missing AC and emission control devices if you ever will want them or a code free computer without reprogramming (a tune.) As far as being beat on, keep you eye out for proper maintenance and what shape the torque boxes are in, tailpipe smoke and a goofy tranny.

Just to add to what mikestang63 said, I believe quite a few auto's were probably not driven as hard as the manual cars. nothing like dumping the clutch and blowing the tires off, automatic's not so much.

Well, a stock AOD will not put up with many neutral drops and the Shifter Shuffle to keep it in second for long. So that it is not as much fun (without an upgrade) is a good thing. It will probably tattle on the last owner if it was abused, and you can reduce the price as appropriate.

Snap shifting a built auto under full throttle can be better when racing. Not missing third gear for fifth is a good thing. And the spouse might be more likely to drive it and accept it as a legit back up vehicle, at least until she really steps on it and you are busted anyway.

Reactions: 1 user