Progress Thread New To Me 96 Gt And A Couple Of Questions

Puggy_sd455

May 10, 2015
Marion Ohio
Hello I just picked up my first SN95 a 96 GT kinda by accident... SO here's the story I grew up with all kinds of muscle cars Fords, GMs, Chryslers, even AMCs iv done tuners the hole bit iv got friends and family that are really into Mustangs so i'm not new to the seen but iv never really had the urge to get my own Mustang but the other week a buddy of mine picked up a 83 Capri RS that caught my eye so we struck a deal sins he is really into the SN95 Mustangs and iv been thinking of getting a Fox that if I got him a SN95 that we would trade so the search was on and a couple of weeks later he found the car I now own for sell and said thats the one I want so off I went with another friend to get that 96 GT that my buddy just had to have so I could get that Capri so an hour later we ended up in the ghetto of Columbus Ohio in the type of neighborhood were all the stores have barred or boarded windows at a legit chop shop to buy this car so we go over this GT with a fine tooth comb with my buddy on the phone to make sure its just what he wants...and he likes it so the test drive goes good every thing works except cruse and AC of course so every thing is grate so I hand over the money and were off and 2 blocks down the road the Mustang spits and shudders then dies...if your wandering the F.P.R. was clogged so we drove this poor car witch would normally take and hour back to my buddy's stopping every couple miles to bleed off the extra fuel presser SO after all this to get this car that my buddy had to have after it dies in his driveway from the fuel presser he turns his nose up at the car and no longer wants it so I run into town buy a new F.P.R. and a throttle body gasket that was missing for what ever reason and fixed it right there in his driveway and drove it home... SO YEAH now i'm stuck with the Mustang I did not want but its OK because i'm really starting to like the car....

Anyway shes a 1996 Mustang GT 4.6L 5 speed coupe with nearly 250,000 mile on it witch shows but runs like a top especially considering its running the wrong M.A.F. and in desperate need of a tune up

11205562_987376784635863_4999053470217493701_n.jpg

The start of a very long and winding burnout
1463087_987376797969195_5960252535190952242_n.jpg

11200612_987404911299717_7958890245638735380_n.jpg

Someone was starting to do things to this poor car
11150733_987404947966380_2143557055546488223_n.jpg

11205138_987565724616969_2256109677288047772_n.jpg

10414383_987405014633040_2883109446483242441_n.jpg

And thats that anyway iv got a few weeks ahead of me of getting everything put back together before I can do any performance mods but iv already decided to put the (PI) heads and intake on the car so my main question is besides the obvious heads/intake/gaskets is there anything else ill need any brackets that wont swap over any thing I need to look for or do wile iv got it apart that kind of thing... I'm completely new to the 4.6L except for maintenance work on a couple of trucks so should be fun

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly, I wouldn't waste a penny on that thing other than keeping it running. You'd be throwing money away. That car is nearing its end

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, I wouldn't waste a penny on that thing other than keeping it running. You'd be throwing money away. That car is nearing its end

LOL, Maybe it's because I'm getting older but that was seriously the coldest thing I've read on here in a long time.

Definitely looks like a Mustang that would take the right person to fix up as a project. We have all see great things rise up from far worse than this.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL it don't bother me any iv had a lot worse and heard a lot worse on other forums.... The body's clean the under side isn't rotted and all the wore out parts are things you would change anyway if you wanted to go faster and its not like i'm going to cry if someone scratches the paint its not a show car just my daily

Cold or not, @Nightfire is pretty much on the money. Having built many project cars in the past myself....my advice to you would be to start with the lowest mileage, best condition model you can afford and then go from there. You may have gotten this car for a song....but just look at how much work you've got ahead of you. Just by the looks of it, that car is going to need $15K in paint, restoration and maintenance parts, just got bring it back up to stock levels.

Not saying it can't be done....just consider how much further ahead you'd be if you spent that money, or a car that didn't need all that work right off the bat? My prediction, is that you'll experience "project burnout" long before you come anywhere close to completing that car.

If it were me, I'd clean it up as best I could, fix the inexpensive stuff and flip it, putting whatever you get for it towards something closer to the beginning of its life, than the end.

Who said anything about restoration this thing an't no BOSS 302 i'm thinking fun/daily

If the car was rotted out id fulling agree but I was kinda thinking just spray bomb it with whatever off the shelf paint come closest to factory match and do some engine work throw some decent shocks and coils under it then run it till she blows then shove another motor in and repeat why spend more money I don't have to get a nicer car I don't necessarily want just to replace the same parts I would on this... I know i'm new on this site and sorry if im wrong but the hole attitude/vibe i'm getting is "I'll just buy next years model its faster and then the next years model and then the next years model"

Reactions: 1 user
Got to love the internet all I asked was a simple question about (PI) heads and now i'm in a philosophical debate

Please let me draw everyone a picture before I get anymore comments I do take pride in my work and upkeep but I did not want that Capri because it was pretty in fact its a bigger POS than this car will ever be I wanted it because its fast as far as restoration goes I don't know where you got 15K from or how 250,000 mile instantly qualified my Mustang for the worlds biggest turd but its not this car was well loved for a long time then someone else got a hold of it and for the 15K goes I live in Ohio NOT Abu Dhabi there's a junkyard near my house that will sell me every part that is ether broken or missing for this car for under $500 and thats including front and rear leather seats and for paint I live in the CITY I work at a FACTORY in the CITY that car sits outside not in a garage and a lot of my friends live in the country on gravel roads there's no reason to spend X amount of money on a nice paint job thats just going to get destroyed in the first month and if I did I know 2 guys that will professionally paint my car for the cost of materials one of them owns a restoration shop and primarily restores pre-70's Mustangs and has a huge Mustang graveyard and huge Mustang collection and the other builds Fox body drag cars and off and on works for the first guy OK but id rather spend my money under the hood instead of on flashy paint and bling bling rims...the motor has nearly 250,000 on it its going to die it only a matter of time especially if i'm taking it to the drag strip and playing on the side once again that same junkyard will sell me a 99-04 GT motor for $250 but i'm not not about to pull a good running motor for no reason and I can pull any parts I put on my motor in the mean time off

OK i'm not building a show car just a daily I can take to the track I don't really care if you like it or not I live here you don't its my car not yours so on and so on Sorry if id rather have an ugly car that runs rather thin a pretty car that don't but contrary to popular opinion chrome and stickers don't make your car faster

Reactions: 2 users
Glad it made your day but Marion it nothing but Church's and bars and every other car has a smashed panel there's no point in spending big bucks on paint that's going to get destroyed in fact just last night as I was leaving work someone leaving a parking spot nearly took out the side of my car and that's not uncommon

Gearbanger seems to be in a weird mood, for me these days. Yea dude, wouldn't kill ya' to use a comma or period or two, makes your post a little easier to read without having to start over, losing one's place in your paragraph.

The good things about these cars is, the simplicity compared to the 2005 models. So, diagnosing and replacing parts is not such a task for a home mechanic. Maaco, although not the best in the business; could get you a 300 buck paint job. It is possible to get that car in tip top shape for cheap, but you have take your time for research.

Looks as if you are leaving a one wheel burnout, time for a rearend rebuild.

Sorry about that I don't spend a lot of time on forums

I mite look into Maaco but like I said I can get the car painted professionally for not a lot of money and I'm no body guy but I can still lay down a nice raddle can

Yeah its a little dark in the pic but there both there and with 250,000 I though any LSD would be wornout but she'll jump sideways and leave a nice fishtail in fact I crawled up under to see if the diff as ever been apart thought maybe someone welded it cuz I sometimes get that posi wheel hop when i go around a corner but don't look like its been messed with at lest not recently

Plan for today was to go to the track with a couple buddy's my Mustang the Capri and another buddy's 83 GMC short bed mite still happen...BUT don't know my buddy with the Capri just sold it to his cousin and is carless LOL... We pulled the 305 out of the GMC Saturday and threw a 350 with a small cam init and I spent the last couple nights getting that turd to run right because my jackoff friend is to cheap to replace or even just rebuild the junk carb on it :mad: and don't you just know it after wasting all that time on it I told him to go easy till we work out all the bugs YEAH ABOUT THAT he peals off down the road leaving a big trail off smoke behind him :dammit: needless to say I told him i'm not changing that motor again LOL

ANYWAY sins guess this is going to double as my build thread I did some clean up work wile I'm waiting for everyone to figure out what there doing

Removed the stupid purple window tint
11255866_993821667324708_2101790881014334036_n.jpg

11063717_993821700658038_8719784985468621950_n.jpg

This damn steering wheel covers are getting kinda hard to find
11269651_993821723991369_3898262109802489915_n.jpg

I also found the right M.A.F. from a guy online for cheap so that should be here soon I hope

No track time for me everyone backed out at the last sec but on the bright side iv knocked off all the check engine codes except for the emission purge witch I expected sins the carbon can is not hooked up (on the list) and both O2's with I expected sins the car has no cats I still want to replace them sins the car has so many miles but funds are short this week so ill probably do that next go around