New To Mustangs

Possessed94

Active User
Nov 30, 2016
Charleston, Sc
How are you all doing. I'm new to this group and to the mustang community. I have a 94 convertible that was a V6, and has been swapped for a carb'd 5.0, and is automatic. I'm in the process of rebuilding the entire car, and still trying to figure out a good engine combo for a mild build. The car won't be daily driven. I'm building it for the streets and some track play, mainly intended to be a weekend warrior. All input would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet !

There's no replacement for displacement.

If you want a fun powerful base platform I'd recommend going with a 351. That block can grow with you up to 750hp. The 5.0 is only good for 500hp reliably.

It does take some work and a swap oil pan and swap headers. People say your accessory brackets will bolt up fine.

You'll need an oil pan, headers, intake, and distributor. The 351 could be safely bored to a 427.... The cheapest of all strokers is the 393. Only aftermarket part needed is the crank. The rest of the combo can be made from factory parts.

A 351 would set you above the rest.

By the way, we love pics here....show us some.
[emoji106]

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome to stangnet.

Snoop around the '79-'95 subforums for help with your build.

Gotta agree with @90sickfox , 351 based engine is the way to go.

It also depends what you mean by mild, mild to someone like @84Ttop would rip the ears off my head during acceleration. If mild means 300-400 hp, your 5.0 is fine.

Keep in mind though, more power will trash anything substandard down train from it. Money baby, all's it takes is money.

Pictures are the best thing here, you give us pictures of your car and we'll reply so much you'll tell us to shut up.

Good to have you with us.

Thanks for both of your responses, I greatly appreciate it. I've been researching the 351 builds and am certain that's where my car will end up next year. I already have some brand new bare in the box 195 cc Dart Pro 1 58 cc heads, that I will most likely apply to this build. I was going to try and apply them to the 302 build, but the flow numbers are crazy out the box. Honestly I don't want to waste time stroking a 302. So I was trying to come up with a good budget build, like the gt40p fully ported with matching port job on the intake. I already have a e303 cam and was going to use 1:7 rockets, shorties etc. and maybe a 175 shot of gas. When I said mild build that's what I had in mind.

A lot of folks will bash an e303. They are old technology but I've had good results with them in the past.

These cars can get expensive.

The suspension and brakes are even more important than the trans and motor. If you can't put it to the ground you don't have it. [emoji106] Spinnin' ain't winnin'

That's why some folks tub their cars @Davedacarpainter

A lot of folks will bash an e303. They are old technology but I've had good results with them in the past.

These cars can get expensive.

The suspension and brakes are even more important than the trans and motor. If you can't put it to the ground you don't have it. [emoji106] Spinnin' ain't winnin'

That's why some folks tub their cars @Davedacarpainter
I've started collecting parts already for the suspension. So far I have Qa1 single adjustable shocks for the rear, was thinking of using the factory springs. I've read it's better for your launch, and keeps the car more straight, because after market shocks don't always have the exact same height in some kits; which sometimes causes the cars to twist and flex on your launch. I also have some SVE upper and lowers for the rear. I'm not to sure about the control arms, being that they're only rated for use of up to 400 hp. Hopefully it'll work out with the 175 shot of nitrous. I also have a brand new set of 4.10 gears an pinion, with the rebuild kit for the trac-loc. Still trying to source out the rest of suspension threw Craigslist, Facebook, and eBay. If I'm lucky like I've been on everything else I'll come across a tubular k-member for a steal.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the site!

If you ever need anything, such as the forum discount code, feel free to shoot me a PM, and I'll be happy to help you!

In the meantime, you are more than welcome to browse our website for all of your Mustang parts, and needs!

https://lmr.com/1994-04-Mustang
It's awesome to have a LMR representative reach out directly. I'm very familiar with your website, and would appreciate greatly if you could send me the code. I have plans of ordering some interior and suspension parts soon.

It's awesome to have a LMR representative reach out directly. I'm very familiar with your website, and would appreciate greatly if you could send me the code. I have plans of ordering some interior and suspension parts soon.

Excellent! That's what I like to hear! ;)

I'll shoot you over that discount code right now! If you ever need to find the code again, you can always find it in our pinned post in our vendor section! :banana:

Reactions: 1 user