New To Sn95 5.0 - Tune Up Tips

5.0 Ford Guy

Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Brownsburg, Indiana
I have had my share of Fox Body 5.0's. It has been awhile though. I remember I was told a few tune-up tips for the Fox 5.0 to check when changing plugs and such. Is everything the same on the 94 5.0? I remember using Autolite #25's, set the TPS between .98 and 1.0 volts (green and black wires), and I got rid of all the smog stuff when I installed the under-drive pulleys on my old 90.

I assume these still have the jumper that needs to be removed when setting the timing? I noticed a little spark knock which I am hoping is just bad gas, but I plan to check the timing as well. Where should I set it on a stock 5.0? I will probably install a cold air kit as well to get rid of some plastic under the hood. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You remove the "spout" connector before setting the timing. Factory base is 10* but you should be able to advance to about 14* using 87 octane. Same as the Fox for most things such as plugs, wires, rotor, cap and filters. There is no TPS adjustment (elongated bolt holes) on the 94-95s. The ECU will learn the idle position between the voltage of .65v - 1.2v. About 1v is normal with a good TPS.

Thanks for the tips. I was also wondering, if I start changing things around such as long tube headers, off-road x-pipe, bigger TB and MAS are there any ECU issues or anything I will run into? I plan to swap out the cam and top end also when I park it for winter.

Thanks again.

MAF transfer functions are programed into the ECU so changes cannot be made without affecting how the ECU interprets these changes. If you are changing the MAF, injector size and cam you will need to have the ECU chipped to deal with these changes or install a new stand-a-lone ECU to tune properly.