New To Stangnet And Desperately Need Some Advice

ericka

Apr 17, 2015
Hi! I'm new to stangnet and am looking for help. I have a 2001 GT convertible. I believe it needs new lift cylinders. Last summer we constantly took the back seat out and added fluid to get the top to go up and down. Each time it just leaked right out. So now I'm ready to get it fixed and no one will touch it. I finally found the part...which says discontinued everywhere. So my question is...where can I find these cylinders? The model number is XR3Z7650600AA. My next question is if I get these someplace I have read everywhere that they are not that difficult to replace. How true is this? Any suggestions? Much thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on a Junk yard. Around my area there are 5 yards that all have at least one new edge convertible. I would got snatch a whole top frame off one and replace it with the old one on the car and from the pics it looks like you need a new top anyway, get one buy going the LRS OR have a pro install the top. I've installed one myself, it was a huge pain in the arse so when my 2000 needed a new one I spent the 800 bucks and had a pro do it just to avoid the aggravation. Make sure if you do it yourself get a helper and try and use a air stapler with stainless staples. The LRS tops are inexpensive and you have to buy the rear curtain and the actual top to do it right. I think you can get a install DVD also that willl guide you through each major step.

There are bunch of places to get those cylinders. LRS and American Muscle come to mind. Also you need to replace them as pairs and get new lines also. This will save you in the long run. They are not hard to replace just a very messy job. Get plenty of old towels. The back seat, top and bottom have to be removed along with the rear speaker boxes after removing the rear 1/4 panels. The top has to be 1/2 way up to get to the top cylinder bolts. Replace the cylinders and lines, fill up the pump and bleed the air out by running the top up and down 6-7 times. Recheck fluid. Hope his helps.

I don't know that I'd recommend getting hydraulic cylinders at a salvage yard, unless there was no alternative I guess. Who knows how long those cylinders might have been sitting around with their seals getting hard or how well they worked in the first place?