Fox New To The Forums. Need Opinions On My 88 Foxbody

that absolutely would destroy my budget. im thinking of maybe getting the intake replaced and then work from there along with the headers and mid pipe since those are a must. I guess opinions between edelbrock and trickflow would be good since ive heard things about both.

• Sponsors (?)

that absolutely would destroy my budget. im thinking of maybe getting the intake replaced and then work from there along with the headers and mid pipe since those are a must. I guess opinions between edelbrock and trickflow would be good since ive heard things about both.

Unless you are replacing the heads, you are really wasting your money and time swapping an intake. Just do it once as the heads you end up buying may not be the best choice for an intake you choose now.

if i replace the stock intake and heads with a trickflow set up how much would i be looking at approx? brand new not used. And would i have to run a trickflow cam with it or could i still run the e303 ford cam?
You can run the e cam if you want. The tfs1 cam is slightly better. If you already have the e cam and don't want to spend the money to replace. You can get the tfs heads brand new for about 1100-1200$. You'll need Egaskets,bolts,rockers,pushrods, Etc. labor costs will eat up your 2500$ budget if you can't do it yourself. Don't be afraid of a used intake. Almost impossible to buy a "broken" intake. Late model restoration has a "budget" topend kit with everything for under 2000$ and you get a 6% Stangnet discount fyi

Reactions: 1 user
I'd start building the foundation for a better setup. Any aluminum head swap with can intake etc is going to devour more than your budget.

I'd make sure you have a full exhaust in place, all 2.5 inch. I prefer bassani, because it's all high quality.
For headers I like equals, me personally I think long tubes are one of the most over rated mods to a 302. Say what you want, I know guys with stock 302 shortblocks that make around 350rwhp NA and 500rwhp aspirated with them so i don't see where the restriction is. Maybe on a 347 or 408, if you are doing that, headers are the least of your worry so...

The cam with stock heads is worthless, be even more worthless if you float valves.

Little things add up, so right now do the basics and make sure the suspension is good and the car runs right while getting your finances in order.

I'd start building the foundation for a better setup. Any aluminum head swap with can intake etc is going to devour more than your budget.

I'd make sure you have a full exhaust in place, all 2.5 inch. I prefer bassani, because it's all high quality.
For headers I like equals, me personally I think long tubes are one of the most over rated mods to a 302. Say what you want, I know guys with stock 302 shortblocks that make around 350rwhp NA and 500rwhp aspirated with them so i don't see where the restriction is. Maybe on a 347 or 408, if you are doing that, headers are the least of your worry so...

The cam with stock heads is worthless, be even more worthless if you float valves.

Little things add up, so right now do the basics and make sure the suspension is good and the car runs right while getting your finances in order.

I agree with everything except the equal length shorties. IMO they add little if any HP and are a pita to install.

I agree with everything except the equal length shorties. IMO they add little if any HP and are a pita to install.

You know, honestly I can't say for sure how hp they add. But the look awesome, lol.
I've had 3 different sets though none of which were that hard to install, yeah I had to unbolt a motor mount and jack the engine up a little, but once you understand it, you are only talking a few extra minutes.
And when you get a cheap ass set of mac's that leak in the collector on the inside where the pipes meet (poor welding), you get really really good at it.

Would I do I use equals again? Probably (bassani of course), but I don't see anything wrong with using ford racing shorties.

I would only do the shortys if the stock manifolds are trashed and/or just wanted a aesthetic improvement. Long tubes are a different story for a different intention. Shorty headers as a performance mod for a stock 302 is a waste of time.

In my opinion, for the power gain, the cost of a shorty header isn't worth it for what little power you gain over stock. I understand you don't have good headers, and you need to replace what you have. You may actually come out ahead finding stockers someone wants to give away and save that money(for more important parts). I have two pairs in my garage, they are easy to find. There have been many studies and dyno tests between shorties and longtubes.. Shorties are good for around 10 or less hp over stock. Longtubes can get you closer to 30. Longtubes are also a major pain in the rear to install, and as stated, cause clearance issues and make getting to your starter next to impossible. You just have to take all that info and decide what is most important to you.

Cheaper to do it the wrong way.... As far as buying an intake and heads together I don't think he has enough budget for it and he still has to figure in the supprting cast and the disposables (gaskets n sht). As far as buying used, it's too big of a gamble to me. Especially sight unseen via internet. What if you end up w junk or nothin at all? And if the guy that is purchasing the products doesn't know enough about what he bought he could end up w junk and not know it. If he has junk tack on machine shop bill.
Buying intake now and heads later- what if you run out of $ and later never comes? I still say port the lower. I don't think it'd be much less of a gain vs tfs and the likes w stock heads and is about $400 cheaper.

Back in the day they put a complete bassani exhaust, headers, x pipe and catback on a stock fox. Gained about 28rwhp. You think long tubes would have gained about 20 more? No way.

We are talking a NA 302 engine. The difference in power is negligible at this level. The shorty's are much cheaper and easier to install and cause no clearance issues with anything.

If you are running that 302 with an SC, no difference, you can reach block splitting power without them.

When you are talking stroker it's a different story, but then again we aren't talking about a stroker here.

disclaimer: Mike liked my post before i added this part.
Two theories I hate:
One size fits all.
Planning for the future.

Last edited:
i agree that the labor aspect is gonna eat up a bit of my budget but usually i get a decent deal on it. if i buy a bunch of parts sometimes cuts me a deal sorta thing. as far as the trickflow set up goes which tfs intake would be my best bet and even though still crap on my budget work the best to net around 300-350 rwhp currently as the car stands? maybe even add in the long tubes and off road h pipe in the mix

i agree that the labor aspect is gonna eat up a bit of my budget but usually i get a decent deal on it. if i buy a bunch of parts sometimes cuts me a deal sorta thing. as far as the trickflow set up goes which tfs intake would be my best bet and even though still crap on my budget work the best to net around 300-350 rwhp currently as the car stands? maybe even add in the long tubes and off road h pipe in the mix
The link to the trick flow package I posted earlier in the thread is rated at 360 hp. It has the TFS track heat intake. It has TFS 170 heads. It has a TFS 1 cam. These are the parts you need to reach your hp goal, going naturally aspirated, period. The only other way is to leave the engine bone stock and go buy a supercharger or an on3 turbo kit... which might actually be the better choice. you'll surpass your power goal there.