Fox New To The Forums. Need Opinions On My 88 Foxbody

• Sponsors (?)

And labor??? Man you can learn to install bolt on parts. A monkey can.. even an ignored monkey. LOL
I knew the labor would come up... In the 1st post or so the OP mentioned that "his mechanic said that his exhaust system was bad" so I assumed he'd probably be returning to the guy for the install. A lot of bolt-ons are safe for the newb to tackle but I don't think a monkey could install long tubes by himself the 1st time out.
And to the OP regarding the throttle body; yes the tb is something you'd upgrade when doing a topend.

Last edited:
MAF, TB, Cold Air pipe, Intake, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Injectors, Cam, Exhaust and the gaskets, That's about it.

From the posts here you could probably build a decent top end from the parts folks are selling

The MOST important thing is to be sure they compliment each other, that's why the TrickFlow top end kit is so popular.

Reactions: 1 user
With paying for labor and parts buying all new parts will set you back around 4k. For example tfs kit-2700$-labor will be around 1k. With a few misc extras like shorty headers,tb,MAF &Inj,etc add another 1500$. Now like I and previous posts have stated: BUY SOME OF THESE THINGS USED!!! I understand you probably are nervous about such a proposal. Some used parts need an experienced eye before purchase but there are a few that really don't. You could save about an avg of 50%

Reactions: 1 users
So everyone post what ya got and lets build him a nice combo :)
Heck I was only half joking about my parts that are coming off my car. :) Op for an example I have a performance products Typhoon intake that I'm taking off my car. Brand new it's like 450$. I'll probably sell it for 150-200$. Now that's a cheaper brand intake but used tfs,edelbrock, etc go for about 250-350$ on the used market. Used roller cams are a 1/3 of new cost and (most) are fine to reuse. Tb's MAF's all reusable and about 1/2 the new cost.

Sorry for the slight derailment but since buying used parts came up.... @A5literMan you seem to be pretty used parts shopping savvy. Did the majority of the parts that you've purchased used arrive as advertised? What would y'all guess is a more popular listed item, a part that has been removed due to crash or catastrophic failure or the seller is changing combos? Are people really building, tearing down and building something else often enough to support a pretty safe buyers market?

Sorry for the slight derailment but since buying used parts came up.... @A5literMan you seem to be pretty used parts shopping savvy. Did the majority of the parts that you've purchased used arrive as advertised? What would y'all guess is a more popular listed item, a part that has been removed due to crash or catastrophic failure or the seller is changing combos? Are people really building, tearing down and building something else often enough to support a pretty safe buyers market?
There are a lot of people always upgrading. Just think of how many of our cars are still out there. Now imagine how many are stock lol. Most common items are MAF,inj,intakes,heads,power adders,etc. the corral has pages and pages of used equipment. I highly recommend it. I've bought a few things there used. Now expensive things like complete engines or even heads (that you really can't inspect beforehand) can be a crap shoot. I did buy some heads(Vic jr's) a couple years ago that weren't quite what the po advertised(had bad valve seals) but had them repaired and actually sold them locally for what I had in them. Recently bought inj and they were exactly as advertised. Also if you use PayPal it gives you some protection also.

Reactions: 2 users
i imagine i would probably want to get a new throttle body in the future if i were to upgrade to the top end kit correct?

Throttle body is one of the mods like exhaust you can do now. Will it help? Maybe just a little, but it's yet another piece of the puzzle to collect.
I prefer accufab, but they aren't that cheap and aren't plentiful on the used market. 70mm should be fine. Before the arguing over size happens, I've physically know peope who track tested the 70 vs 75 on a hci car, 70mm went quicker.

Last edited:
Throttle body is one of the mods like exhaust you can do now. Will it help? Maybe just a little, but it's yet another piece of the puzzle to collect.
I prefer accufab, but they aren't that cheap and aren't plentiful on the used market. 70mm should be fine. Before the arguing over size happens, I've physically know peope who track tested the 70 vs 75 on a hci car, 70mm went quicker.
How bout this for an idea maybe, could he use a maf and tb from a 94/95? They're a little larger than the fox's and it appears to me that they support more hp than what is the popular belief. If he's doing like a 170cc trick flow type topend they will support that I'm pretty sure. They make like what 280-300 rear horse in most cases? I went a little more with the stock 95 pieces.

How bout this for an idea maybe, could he use a maf and tb from a 94/95? They're a little larger than the fox's and it appears to me that they support more hp than what is the popular belief. If he's doing like a 170cc trick flow type topend they will support that I'm pretty sure. They make like what 280-300 rear horse in most cases? I went a little more with the stock 95 pieces.

You can get a 75mm pro m bullet used for around $100 in most calibrations. I know for a fact that alone is good for .2.
So if he gets a 19 now, he can sell it for that same $100 and use that $100 to buy one for 24's.
So while I don't think the 94/95 meter is a bad idea, at $100 for a pro m, i'd just get the pro m.

You can get a 75mm pro m bullet used for around $100 in most calibrations. I know for a fact that alone is good for .2.
So if he gets a 19 now, he can sell it for that same $100 and use that $100 to buy one for 24's.
So while I don't think the 94/95 meter is a bad idea, at $100 for a pro m, i'd just get the pro m.

All good points but I doubt you can get $100 for a set of used 19lbers. Maybe $50 as they are a dime a dozen.

He could get "new" 94/95 maf for like $80 at a parts house. I'm pretty sure the idiot behind the counter would accept the fox maf as a core. It wouldn't have the wow factor of a pro m in his signature but it'll get the job done for $20 cheaper than the estimated used price and a good deal cheaper than a new one.

Last edited:
My best advice i can give is really plan a goal. Try not to skimp now and save. Buy good stuff used or new and do it once ! I have been around the block - painted car 2 times, full interior swap, going on 3rd motor, second trans etc. If you want take alook through my build thread. Have fun most of all

well id definitely like to save up for that top end kit so maybe in the meantime i can go look into investing into a 70mm throttle body and maybe the injectors now. is there a difference between injector sizes power wise? like 19 or 24? whats the main differences otherwise if any

well id definitely like to save up for that top end kit so maybe in the meantime i can go look into investing into a 70mm throttle body and maybe the injectors now. is there a difference between injector sizes power wise? like 19 or 24? whats the main differences otherwise if any
yes there is. a chart that explains it and how much power tbey can hold . 24 lb injectors will work with that top end kit nicely and make sure to get a good meter like pro m calibrated to those injectors to go with it

Also the way you asked your last question makes me think you're asking how much power 24# inj will make? Injectors do not "make" power. They only support how much power your engine is capable of making. If you upgrade the ability to breath you need more fuel. Adding fuel alone will just make your engine run rich. Your best plan if on a limited budget is to accumulate your parts as you go and install them all at one time. Don't add the inj first

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't read all the replies, but I've had good luck buying used parts. As a matter of fact, the majority of my car is used stuff. $100 long tubes, $200 cobra intake, $100 MAF, and the list could go on. there are some parts that buying used may be a good option to save some money, and allow you to pick up a few more go fast parts.

Reactions: 1 user